Euron paid the Faceless Men with his dragon egg

a free shadow

Price of dragon eggs is mentioned few times in the book. They are expensive, but not unaffordable for an exclusive gift. Probably they do not coast a price of the half of an army of the sellsword. Otherwise Dany would sell hers, and Ilirio also would not presented Danny with 3 eggs as an wedding gift. However there is a possibility that FM cost fluctuates and can be negotiated. Or a price for Danny head was intentionally inflated by Littlefinger and Varis to avoid hiring FM and left Danny to participate in the game of thrones.

As I sort of said up thread, a dragon's egg is costly, but a dragon's egg with the instructions to hatch one is priceless. After all, without the ability to hatch the egg, a dragon's egg is just a really pretty rock. I think Euron spent all those years seeking out the magic that would allow him to hatch and control dragons, and because giving up the egg and sharing the knowledge would be a huge sacrifice after investing all that time and effort, that's what the FM took as their price for killing Balon.

I think Euron spent all those years seeking out the magic that would allow him to hatch and control dragons, and because giving up the egg and sharing the knowledge would be a huge sacrifice after investing all that time and effort, that's what the FM took as their price for killing Balon.

Shell Euron has an egg and detailed instruction how to hatch a dragon then why he needs to hire a FM to kill Balon? Why he did not start his own do-it-yourself project?

As I sort of said up thread, a dragon's egg is costly, but a dragon's egg with the instructions to hatch one is priceless. After all, without the ability to hatch the egg, a dragon's egg is just a really pretty rock. I think Euron spent all those years seeking out the magic that would allow him to hatch and control dragons, and because giving up the egg and sharing the knowledge would be a huge sacrifice after investing all that time and effort, that's what the FM took as their price for killing Balon.

The more I think about it, the more I think this almost has to be a case. An egg is useless if they can't hatch it and I'm sure they know that. Euron also had the dragon horn and he mentioned promising the ironborn dragons. Not dragon eggs, dragons. Dragons are a miracle in this part of the world but Bran's visions suggest that they're fairly common or at least in regular existence in Asshai. If Euron got over that way — and he's supposed to have been everywhere — why couldn't he have gotten an egg and learned how to hatch it?

Shell Euron has an egg and detailed instruction how to hatch a dragon then why he needs to hire a FM to kill Balon? Why he did not start his own do-it-yourself project?

He may have figured that it was worth losing the egg but keeping the horn (and look, he's turned his attention to Dany's own dragons). If he can get control of her (somewhat grown, already hatched) dragons, the loss of the egg is big but not as big. And he can't have Balon's murder get back to him, he'd be seen as a kinslayer.

I think a dragon would be a perfect FM weapon. Dragons burn and eat people, so someone winding up as dragon chow (when this is natural dragon behavior) seems quite reasonable.

Especially if you want Dany killed... What better way to make something look accidental than killing someone with their own "pet".

FM are assassins which means they kill with as much skulduggery as possible. GRRM has described dragons as the nuclear weapons of ASOIAF. Doubtful that GRRM plans on making the FM a superpwer.

We do know that the FM do not like fire magic,blood magic.They were founded in the slave mines of Valyria and there is the suggestion from the KM that they had a hand in the Doom.

(Bold is mine)

Do you have a chapter or something I can look that up in? I'm inclined to say "WTF" but if that's true I'd love to read it.

The Ironborn are very bound by their customs and traditions, and those customs and traditions don't include dragons. If Euron wanted to be accepted, indeed, to be chosen, as their king he couldn't really fly in dragons blazing.

He may have figured that it was worth losing the egg but keeping the horn (and look, he's turned his attention to Dany's own dragons). If he can get control of her (somewhat grown, already hatched) dragons, the loss of the egg is big but not as big. And he can't have Balon's murder get back to him, he'd be seen as a kinslayer.

So fat there is no data that he has got a right horn. It is celar it kills hornblowers and has some croudcontrol capacity. May be that horn controls firewyrmths or hedgehogs? Historicaly Targs did not use no hornes.

So fat there is no data that he has got a right horn. It is celar it kills hornblowers and has some croudcontrol capacity. May be that horn controls firewyrmths or hedgehogs? Historicaly Targs did not use no hornes.

The horn Euron gave Victarion has Valyrian glyphs on it.

And we don't know how exactly the Targs tamed their dragons. Dany didn't need a horn to control hers, but I think that's because she hatched them herself.

The Ironborn are very bound by their customs and traditions, and those customs and traditions don't include dragons. If Euron wanted to be accepted, indeed, to be chosen, as their king he couldn't really fly in dragons blazing.

He blew a horn of unknown capacity to get through election. Well... Ironborns are on their way to selfelimination let them do it with a small but loud marshing band. :cheers:

The horn Euron gave Victarion has Valyrian glyphs on it.

And we don't know how exactly the Targs tamed their dragons. Dany didn't need a horn to control hers, but I think that's because she hatched them herself.

And even Dany mentions horns being used in old Valyria. From the last Dany chapter in ADWD:

The dragonlords of old Valyria had controlled their mounts with binding spells and sorcerous horns. Daenerys made do with a word and a whip.

And even Dany mentions horns being used in old Valyria. From the last Dany chapter in ADWD:

Still I do not like that horn theory. Why Targs own horn never been mentionned to exist? Dragons outlived humans since they last for hundred years. Obviousle every Targ did not hatch his/hers own dragon....

I agree. Great theory. Maybe they think that if the 'enemy' has dragons, they need one, too. Fight fire with fire, so to speak.

They might just be hording any remaining eggs so that no one else hatches one. The last thing the FM want is another dragon around.

The possible exception being Stannis as the Iron Bank is backing him.

Still I do not like that horn theory. Why Targs own horn never been mentionned to exist? Dragons outlived humans since they last for hundred years. Obviousle every Targ did not hatch his/hers own dragon....

How is it a theory when we know that's how they did it? The Targ dragons have been gone for more than 100 years. If there are any of their horns left, they've probably been forgotten, just like people have gradually forgotten about the family's eggs. The Targs wouldn't have hatched their own eggs, the female dragons would have. But they still would have needed a way to tame/bind the dragons, which would have been the horn.

There was quite detailed description of the Targs visit to the Wall. No hornblowing involved. I think that the horn is a folly. It has some magic but not for dragons.

The idea is that you need a horn to initially bind the dragon to you. I don't think Alysanne needed to blow it every time she wanted to ride Silverwing. ETA: Even if she did, if it was a "normal" thing as far as Targs and their dragons went, why bother mentioning it?

It's one of Arya's chapters in ... Feast? You want to read her chapters where she's in the House of Black and White. All in there.

Is this the quote you mean?

Arya drew back from him. “He killed the slave?” That did not sound right. “He should have killed the masters!”

“He would bring the gift to them as well... but that is a tale for another day, one best shared with no one.” He cocked his head. “And who are you, child?”

I think that's pretty ambiguous, but I see no other explaination for his comment. Good eye!

The idea is that you need a horn to initially bind the dragon to you.

That is right. Dragons live for hundreds of years. Last Targ with dragons Aegon III Dragonbane ruled 131-157 AL. GRRM indeed has some issues with chronology and logic bang.gif . But every Targ ascending the Iron Throne has to bind his predecessor's dragon to him/her. And if the horn is an essential part of the ritual it has never been mention in the series until last chapter of ADWD. As a matter of fact how many dragons lasted through 150 years of the they managed to regress in size to the size of a large dog...And it should be only second or third dragon generation...

That is right. Dragons live for hundreds of years. Last Targ with dragons Aegon III Dragonbane ruled 131-157 AL. GRRM indeed has some issues with chronology and logic bang.gif . But every Targ ascending the Iron Throne has to bind his predecessor's dragon to him/her. And if the horn is an essential part of the ritual it has never been mention in the series until last chapter of ADWD. As a matter of fact how many dragons lasted through 150 years of the they managed to regress in size to the size of a large dog...And it should be only second or third dragon generation...

I don't even know what you're trying to argue.

It hasn't been mentioned in the series because 1. there hadn't been any dragons and thus no need to mention a horn to bind them and 2. when the dragons did hatch, their mistress didn't need a horn to bind them because she hatched them herself (bearing in mind that she actually has yet to fully tame/bind any of them; a horn might actually help her do that). When the issue came up of existing dragons possibly being controlled by people who hadn't hatched them, then the dragon horn device became pertinent and entered the picture. It would have been pointless to mention it before then.

Archived