DVD Launch Party

Westeros

Aesthetically if the producers wanted to imply a longer passage of time in the adaptation it would not bother me one wit.

Yes. That always seemed the easiest solution to the age question. Just ignore it. GRRM even wanted the younger characters to be older by the second half of the series.

Yes. That always seemed the easiest solution to the age question. Just ignore it.

Yeah, I don't know why people think it needs to even be addressed in dialogue. The first time I read the books I couldn't tell how much time had passed. Martin doesn't use calendars, months, or dates. You can't even use the seasons to measure time. Only things like pregnancies and the occasional mentions of somebody having had a birthday give reference, and those are easily changed for the show (As far as the ages, go, I don't even think they'll be mentioned; I don't think most of the characters have had their ages referenced at all (I remember Bran, Sansa and maybe Arya); I don't think they even want to have to address continuity issues with ages). I think that TV audiences just generally assume that a TV season = 1 year. Not that a year necessarily passes between episodes 1 & 10 of season 1, but just that if the show is on for ten years, about ten years time has passed for the characters, too. For individual episodes, I think it's similar, where audiences think 10 episodes equals ten weeks (or maybe even more in network TV where a season is spread out over 8 months). It really surprised me recently when I found out that all four seasons of 'Breaking Bad' were supposed to occur with only one year total passing from the first episode of season 1 to the last episode of season 4. Then there's 'Mad Men', where a season might span nine months or a year (based on historical events that occur in the show that can be traced to actual dates, and then there's also holidays), so each episode is possibly covering weeks and/or also weeks passing between episodes. You've also got gaps between seasons, with more than a year of show time passing between seasons 1 & 2. None of this registered that strongly with me while watching the episodes as they aired (sometimes it would be more obvious than others, like in early season 4 where one episode was Thanksgiving, and then the very next episode was Christmas); based on experiences like this, I don't think audiences need to be told anything to make them believe years are passing with GoT. The aging of the kids will just confirm what they would already believe. Any pregnancies that are included should probably be adjusted, I suppose, but I don't think there are any that are important enough after Daenarys's to even be included.

Yeah, I don't know why people think it needs to even be addressed in dialogue. The first time I read the books I couldn't tell how much time had passed. Martin doesn't use calendars, months, or dates. You can't even use the seasons to measure time. Only things like pregnancies and the occasional mentions of somebody having had a birthday give reference, and those are easily changed for the show (As far as the ages, go, I don't even think they'll be mentioned; I don't think most of the characters have had their ages referenced at all (I remember Bran, Sansa and maybe Arya); I don't think they even want to have to address continuity issues with ages).

That always seemed the easiest solution to the age question. Just ignore it.

This, and This ^

The actors won't have to be changed, and in fact i don't think it will ever be considered.

No characters age truly has a bearing on their actions in the book.

Book Spoilers:

Tommen's childishness as King and Bran riding on the back of Hodor are the only two things I can think of?

Archived