Ludovica

Killing the wrong wolf, an animal who had never hurt any human, was wrong. And a Lannister ordering the destruction of an animal who harmed no one, incarnates the sigil of House Stark and accompanies a Stark daughter, is rude as well as ominous.

It was either that, or let Ser Illyn do it and have Lady's coat made into a rug. Ned did it because he didn't want Lady decapitated or for Cersei to gloat over her wolf pelt. Robert was King, and his word was law. Ned was honor bound to obey his order, in his mind. He was already Hand - and had a duty to carry out the King's order. What he did was damage control, and taking the reins by sending Lady's bones back to Winterfell before the Lannisters could chew on the marrow.

If he'd refused, and demanded to go home, Robert would've ordered him to stay, and Ser Illyn would have beheaded the poor creature, or not given her a quick death - Ned didn't know. That's why he did it himself.

Lord Tywin Lannister, did not, in the end, shit gold.

This has got to be my favourite line in the whole series :lmao: I definitely thought it was ironic, plus how a whore was found in his bed, after all his bullshit to Tyrion about them. This thread is awesome, can't believe I barely picked out any of them! (well, actually, considering my track record of noticing things...)

Jon Snow turns his back on the NW and gets stabbed in the back by his brothers.

Mance disguised himself with Rattleshirts bone armor but ends up wearing his companions skin to keep war thanks to Ramsey

:lol: If the last one is true, of course, it certainly is ironic. I could argue that Jon didn't really turn his back on the NW, despite ample opportunity to do so, but again I love the irony of it.

I'd have to disagree that Jon turned his back against the NW. Castle Black is indefensible from the South. If Ramsay marched upon the NW, they'd be sitting ducks waiting for slaughter. What choice did he have?

It was either that, or let Ser Illyn do it and have Lady's coat made into a rug. Ned did it because he didn't want Lady decapitated or for Cersei to gloat over her wolf pelt. Robert was King, and his word was law. Ned was honor bound to obey his order, in his mind. He was already Hand - and had a duty to carry out the King's order. What he did was damage control, and taking the reins by sending Lady's bones back to Winterfell before the Lannisters could chew on the marrow.

If he'd refused, and demanded to go home, Robert would've ordered him to stay, and Ser Illyn would have beheaded the poor creature, or not given her a quick death - Ned didn't know. That's why he did it himself.

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that I thought Ned was in the wrong here; it was a reply to Hear Us Roar's comment that killing the dog was not a sin. Ned was between a rock and a hard place; his liege-lord, had seconded Cersei's command that Lady be killed. Ned did the best he could for Lady short of defying his king and queen. Who knows how cruel Ser Ilyn, or other Lannister agents would have been in the killing of Lady, and skinning her body for the pelt would have been an insult to House Stark as well as doubling Sansa's pain.

Has anyone noticed that GRRM is following what the High Septon said ("as we sin so we are punished") in regards to the fate of his characters?

Ned.- killed Lady (an unforgiveable sin IMO) with "Ice", he is beheaded with it.

Jaime.- pushes Bran with his hand, and Vargo Hoat cuts it off.

Vargo Hoat.- cuts off Jaime's hand and then has his hands and feet cut off.

Tywin.- is said to shit gold, and is killed while shitting.

Theon.- flays the miller's boys and is flayed himself.

Robert.- behaves like a pig, is killed by a boar.

There are others but I'll let others post them. Also, can we predict from karma how other characters will be killed?

I haven't read all the posts in this topic, but Ned's sin wasn't killing Lady, it was killing the deserter from the Nights Watch. The guy really saw White Walkers/Others . .and instead of killing him like a dude who was trying to cut and run, this dude was in real fear and in real terror . . should have been inquired and should have been taken back to the Wall for them to decide what to do with him.

Eddard in a since was guilty of treason, he did say in open court seize the King and Queen and kids, that is treason . . even though Eddard was right and did what was right, he still violated the law, that is GRRM Karma.

Now an example I can think of is that is Tywin hated Tyrion and tried to have him killed by leading the assault with his "savages" then ends up getting killed by Tyrion.

This isn't really what karma is or how it functions. Karma represents the overal moral weight of one's actions both good and bad throughout their lifetimes and then factors into the nature of their rebirth within the greater concept of samsara. It doesn't have anything to do with someone's manner of death possibly coinciding with a particular sin they may have committed during the same lifetime. Karma operates over many lifetimes and is not specific to certain acts. It is tied to the concept of rebirth and cannot be seperated from it without losing its meaning altogether and becoming something else entirely (which it seems to be well on its way to doing).

This isn't really what karma is or how it functions. Karma represents the overal moral weight of one's actions both good and bad throughout their lifetimes and then factors into the nature of their rebirth within the greater concept of samsara. It doesn't have anything to do with someone's manner of death possibly coinciding with a particular sin they may have committed during the same lifetime. Karma operates over many lifetimes and is not specific to certain acts. It is tied to the concept of rebirth and cannot be seperated from it without losing its meaning altogether and becoming something else entirely (which it seems to be well on its way to doing).

Yes. However, this concept as it has become westernized too, has come to be seen as "what goes around comes around" or "you reap what you sow."

Yes indeed, see the last sentence I wrote. It's a pretty alien concept to us in the west and so we tend to shoehorn it in with our own aphorisms. I'd just like to point out its true meaning since so few seem to be aware of it and if that leads anyone to do some studying then so much the better. Study are research are beautiful things.

Archived