George: It will take at least another two years, maybe three

a free shadow

At first I wasn't going to respond, because this kind of thing isn't really that conducive to a good discussion climate, but I just can't help myself.

And you have data to audience surveys, market analyses, and product promotion team feedbacks that HBO does not? Or perhaps you happen to be a seasoned TV series executive producer who has ushered through several successful long-form hour-long mini series?

The poster seems to suggest that unless you conduct audience surveys, market analyses, or have extensive experience as an executive television producer, then you can't make predictions about the future of television shows on internet forums. Presumably, we are supposed to agree that basing your predictions on nothing save your everyday life experience with people and on your own preferences with regard to television shows is wrong. I'm not even going to comment on how reasonable this is, I'll just let the other readers of this thread decide for themselves.

Did I wake up in a world where perspectives have been magically replaced by unwarranted sense of entitlement? Or have I just failed to notice such risible scales of expectations before because I was too insulated?

Here the poster is suggesting that my prediction is an expression of a sense of entitlement when it is in fact nothing more than a mere prediction. This is a very uncharitable reading of my post. Just to clarify, I insist that I have no sense of entitlement about this television show or the books it is based on. I simply expect people in general to become less interested if they devote one season each for AFFC and ADWD. I meant nothing more and nothing less. I'm not sure why this warrants such a hostile reaction. If the prediction in question turns out to be wrong, I'll be happy to admit it.

Nevertheless, thanks for the modest suggestions. They were illuminating.

You're welcome and thanks for reading!

I don't see anything wrong with what you said, but I'm not sure if people will lose interest if they do more seasons, so long as they're full enough of drama and exciting enough to maintain the audience. I'd be happy with more seasons - the more the better! - but only if they've got enough material to fill them. If that makes any sense whatsoever.

Disclaimer: I have no experience in producing television, or anything relatively like it - this is just my opinion.

I've always thought the plan was to have AFFC and ADWD run conurrently in line with the chronological progression on the show. I think that would actually solve a lot of problems as far as narrative momentum is concerned.

I've always thought the plan was to have AFFC and ADWD run conurrently in line with the chronological progression on the show. I think that would actually solve a lot of problems as far as narrative momentum is concerned.

Which might require more than two seasons, considering the size of the books and the stories they would have to tell from all the different parts of the world.

I agree. Streamlining the stories from both books and weaving them together for a season and a half would work better. It would be very difficult to pull off though.

One can only hope that the success of the HBO series will get Martin a little more focused ....

During the whole time I was waiting for AFFC and ADWD it sure seemed like he was spending most of his time between packing for cons, traveling to cons, staying on cons, coming home from cons (oh and let´s not forget recovering from serious illness and food poisoning contracted during traveling), doing reading tours, signing tours, promotion tours, turning out one after another of those Joker Poker books, helping folks edit anthologies, everything under the sun but concentrating on ASOIAF.

His outcry on his Not A Blog how he is constantly letting himself be saddled with loads of shit and stuff and obligations frankly didn´t come as a surprise to me.

It just proves that this is NOT a case of "he´s a professional writer, he knows best" or "it is his time and life he can do whatever he wants" or even "I don´t care how long the wait is if the book is good", that post clearly shows that it is a problem for him and that he is suffering. Sure there are worse things than suffering from being too nice, but still.

Which might require more than two seasons, considering the size of the books and the stories they would have to tell from all the different parts of the world.

There's no way either of us can be certain on this, but I think two seasons would be sufficient. I mean, let's face it--there's a lot of "world building" that goes in AFFC and ADWD. Now that's by no means a BAD thing, but a television show could pretty well cut a lot of it out and still have a concise and logical story progression.

I agree. Streamlining the stories from both books and weaving them together for a season and a half would work better. It would be very difficult to pull off though.

Oh, IDK. I think ADWD and AFFC are pretty well separated as far as what happens where and when; the hardest part would probably be just making sure they know which "Jon" chapter in ADWD happens after whichever "Cersei" Chapter in AFFC.

Two or three years for TWOW would be great, even if it seems a long wait. I think he will finish in a couple of years if he knows perfectly well where the story has to go and sticks to that, it seems like he has solved the knots of the plot (aka Daenerys in Meeren) or at least knows how to solve them.

But it might be more, I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait five or six years.

As for the tv show getting ahead of the books, IMO it's possible, but I also think that that the show will differ from the books more and more as the story advances, because there is a limit to the locations, actors and plots that the tv show can have, although that's still pretty far, especially if they cover the third book in two seasons

What if all those "little side projects" actually have a positive impact on his productivity and the content of the books?

IMO, George approaches writing like one would approach combing out a nasty snarl of hair. Sometimes you have to go over and over one section in order to get all the strands straight. ;)

I choose to take it optimistically, that after all the butthurt that was screamed in Martin's window between Feast and Dance he wouldn't give a non-hedged prediction in an interview. So maybe it could be even sooner. But I'm not going to hold my breath. There's all sort of nonfiction that needs reading. I just started Bonk by Mary Roach.

What if all those "little side projects" actually have a positive impact on his productivity and the content of the books?

His post certainly didn´t make it sound like they have ... has he stated somewhere that this is the case? I´ll take everything back then.

IIRC he did state in some interview or other how surprised he was that his (ASOIAF) fans all hated the Jokertown books, but that´s about as far as it goes.

Only if you leave everything in; I'm hoping that if the show is still around, the producers can act as the editor which both books sorely needed before they were published.

Archived