George: It will take at least another two years, maybe three

a free shadow

What GRRM Says: It'll take two to three years.

What GRRM Means: Expect TWOW May 2018.

Yeah. Last time he said in Fall of '05 it would be a year; it ended up being nearly 6 years.

I suspect that this next book will be out in 6 to 7 years.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful; more trying to keep my hopes from getting dashed by keeping a pessimistic timeline.

(Although, IMO, 6 to 7 years doesn't seem so much pessimistic as realistic at this point.....

It's out in May! I've already pre-ordered my copy :D

I love Hilary Mantel! A Place of Greater Safety is also an awesome novel.

Aw yes, good stuff!

And the next Sookie Stackhouse book is due out in May too. Ah, I see a light at the end of the tunnel - though none of these measure up to GRRM's genius, of course.

Interesting. IMO, Martell is a slightly better writer than GRRM, supperior to him in prose style, philisophical depth, and, above all, originality. (Though GRRM does the fantasy genre far, far better than it has ever been done before, his work is still fairly derivative. And his thought and themes are not nearly as unique and groundbreaking as are Mantel's.) However, in terms of characterization and sheer addictiveness, GRRM has the upper hand.

Sorry, off topic! :cool4:

TWoW will be finished when it's finished. No sooner, no later.

This so much. I do not believe any "predictions" and "expectations" anymore. When we have the book, I will be happy. In the meantime, I will be reading something else.

The key to effective time management is to break a project down into a lot of little tasks.

Meaning, focus on one chapter at a time. Then the next one, then the next one.

Before you know it, you can finish a chapter in 3 days, and spend the remaining four days of the week having a good time.

I'm curious. Where can I buy your books? I assume they're bestsellers, of course.

Oh seven bloody hells!

Just like the first few posts, i feel like i have been sent to the wall, and begin my watch as a brother on The Board.

3 horn blasts for a confirmed release date!

2 for a rumor.

Yup, I'm with you. You may say this oath now with me.

Yeah. Last time he said in Fall of '05 it would be a year; it ended up being nearly 6 years.

I suspect that this next book will be out in 6 to 7 years.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful; more trying to keep my hopes from getting dashed by keeping a pessimistic timeline.

(Although, IMO, 6 to 7 years doesn't seem so much pessimistic as realistic at this point.....

Gods, I hope you're wrong! But yeah, I made the mistake of getting my hopes up so now I will simply never expect the book :frown5:

I love Hilary Mantel! A Place of Greater Safety is also an awesome novel.

Interesting. IMO, Martell is a slightly better writer than GRRM, supperior to him in prose style, philisophical depth, and, above all, originality. (Though GRRM does the fantasy genre far, far better than it has ever been done before, his work is still fairly derivative. And his thought and themes are not nearly as unique and groundbreaking as are Mantel's.) However, in terms of characterization and sheer addictiveness, GRRM has the upper hand.

Sorry, off topic! :cool4:

I guess that depends on your preference. For me, Mantel was far too confusing. Her style of writing was extremely interesting, and Cromwell is a huge point of interest to me, but I came out of the book more confused than I was satisfied - and I pride myself on being a strong reader, might I add. Anyway, I will read Wolf Hall again before the next one comes out - I'm sure it will be excellent, I just love GRRM's world so much, and you're definitely right on the 'addictiveness' front!

Usually I'm really pissy about the wait lol (as if I could write books like this, not!) -- but this morning I got to thinking about the immense pressure he must face.

Not only from dedicated fans of the books, but now, from viewers--as well as viewers who then became dedicated fans of the books. If I were him, I'd be sooo stressed. He has so much going on in these books that it can't be less than daunting--even if he already knows how it ends. Getting there can't be easy. "Can I tie up all these arcs well enough? Can I continue to make the magic I've made for 5 books? Can I do it all in a reasonable time?" Yada Yada Yada.

I just kinda really feel for the guy--so even if it takes longer than 2-3 years, I'm gonna *try* to keep reminding myself of the weeks/months of pleasure this series has given me... which is far more than I get from most other things (books, movies, series, games, etc).

I mean, really... re-watching a movie is OK... but I could re-read these books forever (and probably will).

This series is my "go-to" when I have some time... and for that, I'll be eternally thankful :-)

No one really knows better than George what works for him. He's been writing professionally for 40 years now, folks, longer than most of us here in this thread have lived. I doubt there's anything that you or I or, indeed, anyone else is going to be able to reveal to him that will magically speed up the rate of production.

(That said, voodooqueen, the mind map app looks neat.)

No one really knows better than George what works for him. He's been writing professionally for 40 years now, folks, longer than most of us here in this thread have lived. I doubt there's anything that you or I or, indeed, anyone else is going to be able to reveal to him that will magically speed up the rate of production.

I know...tis true.

but omg it's such useful tool. I am forever grateful to my lecturer for making me download it.

I have now turned into a Barry Buzan Missionary.

True.

The next generation will appreciate it more, I guess. They will read his books like we read Tolkien.

It is just our curse to live most of our lives inbetween the publication of his novels. It is agony.

Archived