George: It will take at least another two years, maybe three

a free shadow

Well its better than waiting for 10+ years ma'am,and then act all condescending cause you've waited longer so that gives you 100k more IQ points than us fl00bs.

Oh, make no mistakes. I didn't mean it condescendingly. I do think it's cute. I remember what it felt like.

Then I had kids and stopped caring so much.

Why? I think you're underestimating the amount of important, exciting, and interesting events that occur in these books.

I think you're overestimating the amount of important, exciting, and interesting events that occur in these books. In any case, I don't want to derail the thread with discussions about the qualities of those two books. That's been covered already. Instead, I''ll just make the modest suggestion that the television show needs more plot progression than those two books promise individually -- at least if it's going to continue to attract a larger audience.

Nah. It just gives us something called perspective.

There are times when that perspective is the wrong one though. For example, whenever you hear someone say "speaking as a mother" in a political context, then that should usually be understood as a placeholder for "talking out of my ass". :)

Oh come on - because the ladies on here don't have kids, that means we care about insignificant, unimportant things? I agree that having children would take up a hell of a lot of time and effort, and they of course would be your number 1 priority, but to imply that us girls who do not yet have children are 'cute' because we care about things like a book is ridiculous.

I think too much shit-throwing has been going on. The fact of the matter is, we all have lives to live, priorities and jobs and families, friends and education and relationships, but in our spare time (what little of it we might have) we thoroughly enjoy these books. I don't know about the rest of you, but I love reading, and these books in particular, because it means I can escape for an hour or two, get away from the demands of life and fully dive into a completely different world. I don't see how having children would change my perspective on that - if anything, I'd want them to feel the same way too.

There are times when that perspective is the wrong one though. For example, whenever you hear someone say "speaking as a mother" in a political context, then that should usually be understood as a placeholder for "talking out of my ass". :)

Speaking as a mother, I think you are generalising too much.

EDIT: For Mya.

How about this. Sit down and do one chapter per week. That's not so difficult. That's 50 chapters a year.

That should give us a book in about 2 years.

Is that so much to ask? We will be paying him like MILLIONS of dollars for his one chapter a week, after all.

How about

, with a big side order of Respectful Perspectives? Enjoy.

I think you're overestimating the amount of important, exciting, and interesting events that occur in these books. In any case, I don't want to derail the thread with discussions about the qualities of those two books. That's been covered already. Instead, I''ll just make the modest suggestion that the television show needs more plot progression than those two books promise individually -- at least if it's going to continue to attract a larger audience.

And you have data to audience surveys, market analyses, and product promotion team feedbacks that HBO does not? Or perhaps you happen to be a seasoned TV series executive producer who has ushered through several successful long-form hour-long mini series?

Did I wake up in a world where perspectives have been magically replaced by unwarranted sense of entitlement? Or have I just failed to notice such risible scales of expectations before because I was too insulated?

Nevertheless, thanks for the modest suggestions. They were illuminating.

Oh come on - because the ladies on here don't have kids, that means we care about insignificant, unimportant things? I agree that having children would take up a hell of a lot of time and effort, and they of course would be your number 1 priority, but to imply that us girls who do not yet have children are 'cute' because we care about things like a book is ridiculous.

I think too much shit-throwing has been going on. The fact of the matter is, we all have lives to live, priorities and jobs and families, friends and education and relationships, but in our spare time (what little of it we might have) we thoroughly enjoy these books. I don't know about the rest of you, but I love reading, and these books in particular, because it means I can escape for an hour or two, get away from the demands of life and fully dive into a completely different world. I don't see how having children would change my perspective on that - if anything, I'd want them to feel the same way too.

Sigh.

You guys are no fun.

I used that word specifically because dear GC troll Revan called mothers mad. I did not mean to infer that women (and girls) who did not have children do not have perspective.

FFS.

I think your sarcasm detector needs calibration.

In this forum you never know. I played it safe.

Haha, no. His sarcasm meter is working fine, I was being serious. I love all of ASoIaF, Feast and Dance included. I think especially if you run them concurrently, as the TV series almost certainly will (I can't see them dropping actors for a whole season, although I wouldn't mind if they did), there are plenty of events and plenty of action to keep viewers interested.

Sigh.

You guys are no fun.

I used that word specifically because dear GC troll Revan called mothers mad. I did not mean to infer that women (and girls) who did not have children do not have perspective.

FFS.

No, we tend not to be, as when the 'veterans' of the board, excuse my term, descend upon us we begin to feel insignificant and as if we're in trouble. Or at least, I do :P

Seriously, I used to be one of those fans that every day went to Martin's website (oh back in the day) and check the status for the next book. That's how I found the Board. Eventually I found other amazing books and I took the time to re-read ASoIaF several times (Game of Thrones at least 7 times).

Trust me, it gets better. Time heals all wounds.

No, we tend not to be, as when the 'veterans' of the board, excuse my term, descend upon us we begin to feel insignificant and as if we're in trouble. Or at least, I do :P

:lol:

Well, we are veterans. No offense taken.

And trouble? Nah. Sometimes we just like to see how optimism looks. I spent years checking George's website, waiting for him to announce that the next book was done. Then I found this place. I saw I wasn't alone. Other people were as anxious as I was for the book. All of my RL friends didn't understand. I made board friends, who turned into real friends. I found a (not husband but for all intents and purposes) husband. I had kids.

I still love these books, but I love this place more.

(See how easy that was? We can avoid name calling and have a little laugh, too!)

ETA: Bale, ahaha! We said the same thing. :P (The website, ah, the memories...)

Absolutely. :) The ASOIAF fandom is the best, smartest and nicest.

Plus I got recommended China the-hotness-that-comes-before Mieville here too, so it all worked out for the best.

:lol:

Well, we are veterans. No offense taken.

And trouble? Nah. Sometimes we just like to see how optimism looks. I spent years checking George's website, waiting for him to announce that the next book was done. Then I found this place. I saw I wasn't alone. Other people were as anxious as I was for the book. All of my RL friends didn't understand. I made board friends, who turned into real friends. I found a (not husband but for all intents and purposes) husband. I had kids.

(See how easy that was? We can avoid name calling and have a little laugh, too!)

ETA: Bale, ahaha! We said the same thing. :P (The website, ah, the memories...)

'Tis true, mayhaps you should spread your wisdom to some other, uh, veterans :D

To be perfectly honest I think my hype is slowing down now - I watched the show, devoured the books, then found this board to fill the time between the next one. Now it's been a while, and I've realised/found out that actually, it's gonna be a good few years before the next book, and after dying a little bit inside I'm aware that it will come out someday, and I will read it when it does. I won't sit here twiddling my thumbs, but I suppose I'll get a bit antsy from time to time. I'm happy we have the TV series though, to be sure.

Let's hope it turns out a similar way for most of us then! Sounds like you've got it all sorted ;)

Archived