Your biggest pet peeve in the series?

AngrySoviet

What are some character habits, sayings, actions, etc. that happen on a regular basis and thoroughly piss you off?

Personally, I think it can't get any worse than Asha saying "Nuncle" all the time in book four. Every time I heard nuncle, a little piece of my soul got sucked. It just made her sound like a buck-toothed four year old with one of those propellor beanies, with a huge swirly lollipop in one hand.

Also I hated it every time Daenerys "nibbles" on something. Just eat the damned thing.

Another thing I don't like is when a character leaves perfectly good food to waste on a plate, saying "I'm not hungry." Especially considering the fact that all the food in ASOIAF makes me salivate when I read about it, I get pissed when it goes to waste.

So what are some of your pet peeves? Eh Precious?

Not really a pet peeve...

But I hate everything about the Slaver Cities.

The names - can't pronounce them

The People - dont give a shit about them

I hope they all die from the Pale Mare so that Dany can come to Westeros. I am trying hard not to hate Dany, but if she doesnt leave that damn place soon... I always sigh when her chapters come up because I know I will probably fall asleep.

Not really an issue with the book, moreas a problem with the forum theories. EVERYONE in westeros is NOT a secret Targ!

The phrase "what is dead may never die, but rises harder and stronger" got a bit annoying after a while. At first I was all like :o!

Oh and I hated Reek. All of them.

Canabalism is getting used too often for my tastes tbh. So is life after death.

Oh yeah the sex scenes SUCK! If tyrion wasn't a whoremonger, he'd be everyone's favorite character. Period.

I get tired of theories where everyone is actually someone else. Sometimes a person is just a person and is not a Targaryen or Ashara Dayne or Quentyn Martell in disguise. That's a fan annoyance though, not something from the books.

The fake-out deaths don't bother me, namely because most of these people were never dead to begin with. If readers would be more skeptical and stop taking things as true without evidence ("Oh man, Davos is dead!", "Oh no, Ramsay killed Stannis!"), a lot of those complaints would cease. This is a society that has limited means of foolproof communication, with many characters in warzones. So yeah, misinformation is going to spread. Acting as if that misinformation is cheap on the part of the author is pushing it. Stop believing that someone is dead until you see a body.

I get tired of theories where everyone is actually someone else. Sometimes a person is just a person and is not a Targaryen or Ashara Dayne or Quentyn Martell in disguise. That's a fan annoyance though, not something from the books.

The fake-out deaths don't bother me, namely because most of these people were never dead to begin with. If readers would be more skeptical and stop taking things as true without evidence ("Oh man, Davos is dead!", "Oh no, Ramsay killed Stannis!"), a lot of those complaints would cease. This is a society that has limited means of foolproof communication, with many characters in warzones. So yeah, misinformation is going to spread. Acting as if that misinformation is cheap on the part of the author is pushing it. Stop believing that someone is dead until you see a body.

We saw Cat's dead body...twice..

The fake-out deaths don't bother me, namely because most of these people were never dead to begin with. If readers would be more skeptical and stop taking things as true without evidence ("Oh man, Davos is dead!", "Oh no, Ramsay killed Stannis!"),

I don't mind the fake-out deaths of the Davos or Stannis fake kind- I like the hearsay aspect of information that GRRM plays with in the novels. What I do find slightly annoying is the fake-out of Arya getting hit in the back of the head with an axe by Sandor, Asha getting hit in the head by an axe in the battle after Deepwood Motte, or Tyrion falling into the river and fading to black. I figured out not to believe it when GRRM ended a chapter like that, but they sort of feel like cheap attempts at cliffhangers.

Also I hated it every time Daenerys "nibbles" on something. Just eat the damned thing.

Another thing I don't like is when a character leaves perfectly good food to waste on a plate, saying "I'm not hungry." Especially considering the fact that all the food in ASOIAF makes me salivate when I read about it, I get pissed when it goes to waste.

:laugh:

Me too! I had to re-read when Daenerys nibbled on olives, of all things. Just pop a whole one in your mouth. You can't get more then one bite from a damn olive.

For some reason, ASOIAF made me hate turnips even more then before. When I read, I keep getting a craving for turnips, the next day I buy some, eat them, remember how awful it tastes and curse. Next reading session, I come accross more turnips dripping with butter and I crave it again, even thought I still remember how bad that went earlier.

Leal.

If readers would be more skeptical and stop taking things as true without evidence ("Oh man, Davos is dead!", "Oh no, Ramsay killed Stannis!"),

I'm still holding out hope that Stannis is dead (not necessarily at Ramsay's hands -- don't forget Manderly is kill on sight for Stannis, and there's a reason the Northmen haven't told him about Bran and Rickon). I actually really, really like Stannis since ADWD when he showed why people respected his military capabilities. But how awesome would it be if that part of the letter was actually true? We see Stannis being badass before the encounter, so now the whole audience is thinking "yep, he's safe, Ramsay is getting schooled". Stannis dying would be an epic punch to the gut when fans are getting too complacent. Just look at how many people assume that because there's a letter saying he's dead, and he knows there's a trap, he has to be alive!

I came to ASoIaF late, and had heard all about how "nobody is safe". Except reading it, it struck me as to how aside from Ned (who was doomed from the start, Greek tragedy style), nobody really important actually died. Main characters are safe (large overlap with POV characters), if they die they rise again, harder and stronger. I really don't get what all the fuss was about.

1. "The night is dark and full of terrors." In fact, all of Melisandre's zealotry generally, but I hate it even more when the Queen's Men say it.

2. Any and all of Dany's mantras ("blood of dragons," "waking dragons," "if I look back...", "daario fondled his sword handles....")

3. The 16th time we are asked "where whores go."

4. Names with more than 1 "z"

repetitions that I love:

References to Selyse's moustache

Leal.

I'm still holding out hope that Stannis is dead (not necessarily at Ramsay's hands -- don't forget Manderly is kill on sight for Stannis, and there's a reason the Northmen haven't told him about Bran and Rickon). I actually really, really like Stannis since ADWD when he showed why people respected his military capabilities. But how awesome would it be if that part of the letter was actually true? We see Stannis being badass before the encounter, so now the whole audience is thinking "yep, he's safe, Ramsay is getting schooled". Stannis dying would be an epic punch to the gut when fans are getting too complacent. Just look at how many people assume that because there's a letter saying he's dead, and he knows there's a trap, he has to be alive!

I came to ASoIaF late, and had heard all about how "nobody is safe". Except reading it, it struck me as to how aside from Ned (who was doomed from the start, Greek tragedy style), nobody really important actually died. Main characters are safe (large overlap with POV characters), if they die they rise again, harder and stronger. I really don't get what all the fuss was about.

Well I personally disagree with the latter part of your comment. (BOOK THREE SPOILERS AHOY) remember the Red Wedding, I mean Robb Stark dies and I considered him a very important character (even though he wasn't POV). I mean the way that GRRM set up the books is, Ned dies, Robb Stark becomes King in the North, and you think that after many hardships and sacrifices he will manage to avenge Ned and rule as King. Not so, he gets cut down in his prime, which was a real damn shame. And I will never forgive GRRM for the Red Wedding. Ok, maybe I will, but then please oh please don't kill Stannis!!!

Leal.

Oh and one more thing, not only is Robb an exception to your rule, but think about Tywin. He was a very important character and he still ends up dying while on the shitter. While maybe he wasn't a character that you WANTED to be safe, he was still pretty "important" or "Essential" if you will, but he dies nevertheless.

Oh and one more thing, not only is Robb an exception to your rule

Robb was no more a main character than Renly was. They were kings, but they weren't really built up or made a big deal out of in how they were portrayed to the reader. From what I can tell when people read, Jon, Arya, Bran, and Tyrion are pegged as important. Ned too, of course, but he's the only real main character Martin has permanently axed. Most of the others are window dressing or world-building. Dany would count but she's disassociated from the action for the most part.

but think about Tywin.

Bad guy. Supposed to die. No shock in that it happened, only shock is that he soils himself.

Archived