Your biggest pet peeve in the series?

AngrySoviet

I certainly don't think it'll be number 3. I would put my money on number 1. If the Stallion who Mounts the World is in fact Dany, adapting to all cultures would be necessary. I don't agree that she has no overarching morality, just that it doesn't seem to conform to any culture currently on display. And I really disagree with number 2. There is no reason that Dany should have figured out her life ambition by the end of aSoS. She's 15 years old, without a typical predestined path laid out in front of her (ala Robb or Joffery). She has any number of options and no urgency. We as readers have a sense of urgency (the Others are coming! sort of?) but I don't think you can say she's a lazy and shiftless person for not making up her mind as a teenager to only do one thing for the rest of her life.

DAENERYS TARGARYEN

Queen of Meereen

Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men

Lord of the Seven Kingdoms

Protector of the Realm

Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea

Breaker of Shackles

Breaker of Chains

Princess of Dragonstone

"Dany giggled."

I don't know, but I can't stand the whole Drowned god thing? Really? Your god DROWNED? Should you maybe re-think this whole thing? And then, you cannot just convert or something. You have to DROWN and come back to be legit? So if you STAY DROWNED, you are not worthy? What's up with that?

I love it! :bowdown: OH - and I think nuncle sounds incestuous, gags me everytime.

And whatever else those Ironmen say, something about you can't die when you're already dead, or some such. Actually, just the Greyjoys/Ironpeople/Drowned Gods all drive me nuts.

Martin's obsession with certain body parts and their respective range of names.

Some of them make me shudder in disgust.

Yes! Yuk! :ack:

And, like everyone else, I'm really, really, really sick of Dany.

Pretty durn sick of Mel, too, unless she's going to do something useful and actually help Jon/the NW. Also still not sure that she can be trusted and hate that "night is full of terrors" thing that she's always saying.

Then, what someone else mentioned about the swords 'kissing' in battle -- descriptive once, maybe even twice if he waits another 250 pages, but any more than that is just running it in the ground, and he's a better writer than that.

So -- to stick to the topic and pick 1, only 1, pet peeve, it would have to be the Greyjoys - don't know who's the worst, Asha, Euron, or Victarion.

I think this is half justified and half the result of fans taking it too far with theories.

Even taking the theories out of the equation, you have . . .

1. Aemon the Dragonknight masquerading as the Knight of Tears at the tourney where he named Naerys the Queen of Love and Beauty.
  2. The squire Dunc the Lunk masquerading as having been knighted by Ser Arlan of Pennytree.
  3. Young Aegon V masquerading as Egg the squire.
  4. Bloodraven masquerading as Ser Maynard Plumm.
  5. Daemon II Blackfyre masquerading as John the Fiddler.
  6. The Knight of the Laughing Tree was likely either Howland Reed or else Lynna Stark in masquerade.
  7. Mance Rayder masqueraded as one of Robert’s followers to slip into Winterfell when Robert visited.
  8. Jaime’s children Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella masquerading as Robert’s.
  9. Ser Jorah masquerading as a friend to Viserys and Dany while really being Varys’s spy.
  10. Ser Barristan masquerading as a mystery knight at age 10 where he earned his name as Barristan the Bold.
  11. Ser Barristan masquerading as Arstan Whitebeard.
  12. Ser Barristan masquerading as a commoner to watch Eddard’s murder/execution/assassination.
  13. Bloodraven masquerading as the Three‐Eyed Crow.
  14. The Stark children “masquerading” as their wolves while warging.
  15. Ramsay Snow masquerading as Reek.
  16. The miller’s wife’s two dead boys masquerading (well, being masqueraded) as Bran and Rickon.
  17. Varys masquerading as Rugen the jailer of the Black Cells.
  18. Catelyn masquerading as a commoner on the King’s Road to elude detection (but Tyrion saw through it).
  19. Sandor and Arya masquerading as farmers using a stolen wagon and casks.
  20. Rosamund masquerading as Myrcella while Arys Oakheart brought the real Myrcella to Arianne.
  21. Garlan Tyrell masquerading as Renly.
  22. Alayaya masquerading as Tyrion’s whore.
  23. Tommen masquerading as a Rosby page until caught escaping by Tyrion.
  24. Rorge masquerading as the Hound.
  25. Lem masquerading as the Hound.
  26. Jon Snow masquerading as a turncloak to spy on Mance and his wildlings.
  27. The son of Gilly and Craster masquerading as the son of Mance and Dalla.
  28. The son of Mance and Dalla masquerading as the son of Gilly and Craster.
  29. Sansa masquerading as Alayne Stone, Petyr Baelish’s natural daughter.
  30. The Ironborn masquerading as the crew of Tyroshi trader so they could sneak into Oldtown, foiled by being hailed in Tyroshi.
  31. Sellswords and knights masquerading as musicians as the Red Wedding.
  32. Catelyn “masquerading” as Stoneheart.
  33. Arya masquerading as Arry, Weasel, Roose Bolton’s cupbearer Nymeria/Nan, Salty, Cat of the Canals, and Beth the blind beggar girl.
  34. Theon Greyjob masquerading as Reek.
  35. Jeyne Poole masquerading as Arya.
  36. Tyrion masquerading as Yollo and Hugor Hill.
  37. Rattleshirt masquerading as Mance Rayder.
  38. Mance Rayder masquerading as Rattleshirt.
  39. Alys Karstark “masquerading” as Arya in Melisdandre’s mistaken vision.
  40. Jaqen H’ghar masquerading as Pate at the Citadel after killing him.
  41. Bran masquerading as Hodor.
  42. Sarella the Sand Snake masquerading as Alleras the Sphynx.
  43. Tyene the Sand Snake masquerading as a septa to spy on the High Septon.
  44. Ser Gerris Drinkwater masquerading a wine merchant.
  45. Quentyn Martell masquerading as Frog, the wine merchant’s servant.
  46. The Windblown Westerosi masquerading as deserters trying to join Danaerys.
  47. Lysono Maar, the Golden Company’s spymaster, masquerading at Volantis to try to book passage to Mereen.
  48. Mance Rayder masquerading as Abel the Bard.
  49. The spear wives accompanying Mance masquerading as whores accompanying Abel.
  50. The spear wives (masquerading as whores) masquerading as bedmaids bringing bathwater for Jeyne masquerading as Arya.
  51. Squirrel masquerading as (Jeyne masquerading as) Arya.
  52. Jeyne (masquerading as Arya) masquerading as a bedmaid to escape.
  53. The condemned prisoner whom Lord Manderly had killed, decapitated, and tarred to masquerade as Davos.
  54. Gregor Clegane’s presumedly headless corpse masquerading as Ser Robert Strong.
  55. Jon Connington masquerading as Griff.
  56. Young Aegon (whoever he is) masquerading as Young Griff.
  57. Stannis’s sword is masquerading as Lightbringer due some glamour of Melisandre’s, but throws no heat.
  58. The Valyrian dagger that almost killed Bran masquerading as Tyrion’s or Littlefinger’s instead of Robert’s as stolen by Joffrey.
  59. Rhaegar Frey, Ser Jared Frey, and Symond Frey each masquerading as a pie.

So, yes, I think the concept is overused.

The nibbeling on olives makes me smile everytime I read it. I even tried it myself once out of scientific interest and completly failed to nibble more than twice on the damn thing before it was eaten.

If the price Dany has to pay for her flowers in the attic, Aryan, most beautiful woman of the world look consists of not even beeing allowed to eat a whole olive then it really is not worth it :-)

OMG, a Flowers in the Attic reference. Love it! The whole blond bro/sis incest concept made me think of this book.

To stay on topic, I'll add to my earlier list:

Victarion Grejoy

Euron Greyjoy

Aeron Damphair Greyjoy

the unDead

dark wings, dark words

Words are wind

If GRRM got rid of every pet peeve in this list, then he wouldn't have any books.

I must be the only person in the world who likes the Ironborn chapters- they're interesting, distinct characters. I like their twist on Norse mythology, with Valhalla under the sea. I like that their religion leads them to fight in the ocean wearing plate mail and drown initiates. All of the featured Ironborn are interesting to me in some way, and I look forward to reading their chapters (yes, even Damphair)

I dislike the Dornish, and I could barely make it through their chapters (especially in AFFC). I'd be happy never reading the name "Areo Hotah" again.

The lesson that I take out of this thread is the GRRM might as well write whatever he wants. Some will love it, others will hate it.

Changing the pov's from just their names to things like "The Watcher". it works for people going through a identity crisis like Arya and Theon, it's not working imo for people like Asha.

Also t he whole dead people coming back. works for Wights cause they are zombies, But we've had a lot of times where a character has been thought dead only to be brought back. The first three times i was fine with it. It actually stopped my raging from Jon being stabbed cause I was like "He'll be back"

Even taking the theories out of the equation, you have . . .

Spoiler
59. Rhaegar Frey, Ser Jared Frey, and Symond Frey each masquerading as a pie.

So, yes, I think the concept is overused.

Teehee. Number 59 makes me giggle. I think that one goes a little too far but hey what's one against 58 others? ;)

WARNING: Major rant ahead.

After posting in another thread, I realized another pet peeve and that is how Rhaegar is looked upon as this great man/hero, but I just don't care for him because I can't stand his treatment of Elia. I know how we only have second-hand accounts of his story but he publicly humiliated his wife for another woman in Harrenhal :ack: and then ran off with said woman, jump starting a bloody rebellion, and leaving his wife AND KIDS with his psychotic father at the "mercy" of Tywin Lannister and his monsters. She ended up dying in one of the worst ways possible, his family bloodline almost extinguised, just because he couldn't keep it in his pants. I understand that Rhaegar didn't love Elia and that their marriage was political and I get that you don't choose who you love and Rhaegar couldn't help it if he fell for Lyanna. People do deserve a chance to experience real love, but Elia wasn't so horrible and mean to him, Barristan said she was a good woman, so I believe him :cool4: . Rhaegar should have at least taken his family into consideration. He had children! What the hell was he thinking! I know there is another side to this and Rhaegar read some prophecy or scroll or something and that may have something to do with it. Still, though, he did his family wrong and if he thought with the right head, I'm sure he would have seen that there was other ways to handle his situation. He wasn't all that honorable or valient, imo. He sounded kinded of impulsive and selfish if you ask me.

I liked that Lyanna was a woman ahead of her time who took care of herself and didn't bow down to convention, but shame on her too. Also, I do not buy into Rhaegar/Lyanna star-crossed lovers, blah, blah.

Sorry, just my thoughts on what bothers me.

I don't get where you feel this part...

. I understand that Rhaegar didn't love Elia and that their marriage was political and I get that you don't choose who you love and Rhaegar couldn't help it if he fell for Lyanna. People do deserve a chance to experience real love...

...is addressed/refuted by this part;

...but Elia wasn't so horrible and mean to him, Barristan said she was a good woman, so I believe him :cool4: .

BTW, I think the contention on whether or not it was an abduction/star-crossed lovers/excuse for war is absolutely written in and entirely consistent with the Trojan theme.

Archived