There are no men like me. Only me. Cocky or self-loathing?

Ravenhair

I think it has a double-meaning. On the surface it is meant to be arrogant. He is playing the role everyone has placed on him. Under the surface it is self-loathing. I don't think this will be his tag-line forever though.

I like the suggestion above that his ultimate fate is a sort of KG for Rhaegar's supposedly still living offspring. That would be really cool.

• 9 months later...

this line stuck out to me as one of his most important. especially now that the bath scene with brienne has aired we understand jamie a lot better. at the time of his dialog with cat and his "there is only me" line, he was the only one to really know what happened with Aerys then. now that more people know, he may have said it because he resents how people judge him unjustly and feels alone in the world. (no one but him can understand what he's been through).

I doubt he meant it as self-loathing, I feel it would be hard for anyone who has read every Jaime POV chapters to believe this man would ever "hate" himself, he is too proud (rightfully so).

I don't believe he said it to be cocky either, there's too much depth in that single line for someone to use it as a "im the shit" kinda way.

Jaime is just aware of who he is, and he is real about it. just like later on when he's in KL as lord commander he refuses to get involved in politics because he knows (he's aware) that it's not for him. same story for his swordsmanship and hand problem, he's always been honest to himself about who he is.

Just self-awareness.

A mixture of both, but mostly self loathing even if he does not realise it. However, it is also true. Everyone is different and unique no matter how similar they appear to be.

Jaime is the youngest member of the kingsguard in history, handsome and a great warrior so he has much to be proud of, but he wanted to be Arthur Dayne and in the end became the Smiling Knight. I don't think he is as bad as that, but he hates himself for failing to be the perfect knight.

I think it's a bit of both. He's admitting his failures or and things he's done wrong, Aerys and the incest, but he's also saying that no one else is like him, he's saying that he thinks he's the best swordsman in Westeros.

I think it's a bit of both. He's admitting his failures or and things he's done wrong, Aerys and the incest, but he's also saying that no one else is like him, he's saying that he thinks he's the best swordsman in Westeros.

jaime says himself that killing aerys is his greatest accomplishment. so no he isn't admitting that as a failure. he knows he's good (was good) with swords but he also knows others who can or could match him in a duel, so I doubt he'd think himself as the best of the best. he doesn't even looks at banging his sister as a mistake either, he mentions multiple times how he stayed true to the one woman he loved (you don't choose who you love) so in a way, he stayed true to his love.

jaime says himself that killing aerys is his greatest accomplishment. so no he isn't admitting that as a failure. he knows he's good (was good) with swords but he also knows others who can or could match him in a duel, so I doubt he'd think himself as the best of the best. he doesn't even looks at banging his sister as a mistake either, he mentions multiple times how he stayed true to the one woman he loved (you don't choose who you love) so in a way, he stayed true to his love.

Jaime says that there are 3 people in Westeros that have a have chance beating him. He doesn't say that they would beat him.

Haven't read the whole thread but replying to the original question I'd say he is mainly being accurate - given his life experiences he doesn't fit neatly into a type, which Catelyn implies, and must feel he has quite a unique view of things.

Both, and more. I think Jaime is often operating on several levels at once. The brave hero, the parody, the audience and the critic all together.

Ooo well put

I don't think cocky or self-loathing quite describe the line. Its always struck me as more as a denial of his bitterness or resignation to how others see him.

• 6 months later...

I have always thought as an awfully remorseful quote. How I see it is, he was trapped, a prisoner, his fate is unsure, so he has his whole life to contemplate while waiting for something to happen. And that's when it hit him - all that he has done - killing Aerys, sleeping with his sister, pushing Brann from the window, "All the things he did for love". And he realises that he is the only man he knows who has done such treacherous things.

So, to conclude, I'd say it's just something that has maybe just struck him, so he said it out loud; with a dose of self-loathing.

Archived