How does Samwell Tarly happen?

rmanoj

Randyll should have been more careful in what he wished for. Sam certainly became a well-rounded son, though not in the way Lord Tarly probably meant it...

Jon's command that some mustn't name himself a coward is probably to make him stop thinking of cowardice as part of his identity. Once he manages to forget that, I think he'll realise that he actually is pretty brave. Sam could probably also have become a more-than-decent strategist, if given the chance. Those leading from the front tend to die young anyway.

I think he's supposed to be the chubby, clumsy, book-smart character the nerds can identify with.

well,im a nerd too,but im working out for 4 years without any rest, and i possess a true mesomorph constitution..with who should i identify with then ?you are jumping to conclussions my friend :D!but if his father wanted to make a man fit to carry on his fathers name,he should have spent some time with him to find a more unorthodox way to toughen him up

So their should be no obese noblemen??? To me...that would be completely unrealistic. Who cares about why he is fat. Maybe he ignored his father and his mother allowedWhat about Manderly?? Too fat to sit a horse. Is he unrealistic as well?

Sam was a bookish, nervous kid from birth with a hard and scary father. He became fat because he was scared and lonely.

It is very common.

In the middle ages meals were large, because MOST people were getting a lot of exercise. Sam, once he has lost his fathers respect was ignored, so there would have been very little training for him after he was 6 or so. Once Dickon was borne he was ignored.

So a bookish, lonely kid becomes fat. Quelle surprise!!!.

Almost every Samwell chapter has him complaining his sword belt is falling down. Now assuming if fit correctly when he got it, he's been losing weight since he got to the wall.

All that weight dragged heavy, and his belly was so big and round that if he forgot to tug the belt slipped right off and tangled round his ankles, no matter how tight he cinched it.

There's no reason to think Sam would have lost weight at the Wall. Until the Fist he had been coddled and handheld by Jon just as much as his mother babied him at Horn Hill. It's not until the Cinammon Wind where Sam actually has to work for the first time in his life that he shows any signs of loss.

“I’m not so fat as I was before,” Sam said defensively. The passage south had seen to that. All those watches, and nothing to eat but fruit and fish. Summer Islanders loved fruit and fish.

I think his mother spoiled him when he was very young, and he was close with his sisters, so he became kind of "soft". Randyll Tarly probably didn't help much either, since Sam seems really terrified of him and everything. Eventually, I think Tarly just forgot about Sam and focused on making Dickon into a more worthy heir.

Whatever pride his lord father might have felt at Samwell’s birth vanished as the boy grew up plump, soft, and awkward.

He only grew fatter and more frightened, until Lord Randyll’s disappointment turned to anger and then to loathing.

From that day, Lord Randyll ignored Sam, devoting all his time to the younger boy, a fierce, robust child more to his liking. Samwell had known several years of sweet peace with his music and his books.

Born plump, just got fatter and then he most likely seriously ballooned in those last few years where he didn't do anything but get hopped up on pastries and dance awkwardly with kittens.

As others have said, I think he's fairly realistic. He was born with at least some genetic predisposition to storing fat, and was more talented with intellectual pursuits.

His father was a very strong warrior. One of the best in the land. He wanted a strong son to take up after him. Which is smart considering had Sam been good with a blade he would have been on the front lines in the war of the five kings. His father was proposed as Hand of the King and ended up being put in charge of the small council. His father knew the world he lived in, and pushed Sam to rise to the challenge. The more he pushed, the more Sam failed. The more Sam failed, the more he sought comfort in food.

Then his father gets the son he always wanted, leaving Sam basically completely ignored and with the key to the kitchen.

I viewed him as a nervous eater due to the constant stress and bad treatment his dad placed on him. Or his mother spoiling him due to his healthy appetite and the occassional spoiling with treats, almost trying to give comfort. My Sicilian grandparents are old school for example. Food and eating is a familial, maternal thing and I always imagined Sam might have experienced that too before his dad made him go to NW.

He even didn't let him be with his mom and sisters or brother I think. Basically cutting him off from more emotional support.

The kicker was that I think Sam is big and tall and the dad is probably more pissed thinking with training and exercise he could have obtained a warrior build if not for his timid and softer personality. I think Randyll is depicted as thinner and sleight. I imagined Sam being a bigger guy than his dad, yet the dad is more imposing, of course.

I viewed him as a nervous eater due to the constant stress and bad treatment his dad placed on him. Or his mother spoiling him due to his healthy appetite and the occassional spoiling with treats, almost trying to give comfort. My Sicilian grandparents are old school for example. Food and eating is a familial, maternal thing and I always imagined Sam might have experienced that too before his dad made him go to NW.

He even didn't let him be with his mom and sisters or brother I think. Basically cutting him off from more emotional support.

The kicker was that I think Sam is big and tall and the dad is probably more pissed thinking with training and exercise he could have obtained a warrior build if not for his timid and softer personality. I think Randyll is depicted as thinner and sleight. I imagined Sam being a bigger guy than his dad, yet the dad is more imposing, of course.

No, he spent plenty of time with his sisters and mother. That's all he tried to do was spend his time with girls and his mother.

Men frighten her, but women don’t, Sam realized. He could understand that. Back at Horn Hill he had preferred the company of girls as well. His sisters had been kind to him, and though the other girls would sometimes taunt him, cruel words were easier to shrug off than the blows and buffets he got from the other castle boys.

He would even sleep with his sisters. Lord Tarly did keep him from contaminating Dickon though.

Sam remembered the last time he’d sung the song with his mother, to lull baby Dickon to sleep. His father had heard their voices and come barging in, angry. “I will have no more of that,” Lord Randyll told his wife harshly. “You ruined one boy with those soft septon’s songs, do you mean to do the same to this babe?” Then he looked at Sam and said, “Go sing to your sisters, if you must sing. I don’t want you near my son.”

I can't remember. Did Randyll ever discourage his spending time with his mother or sisters or comment on it?

I should have worded it differently.

But that is an insult in itself. Randyll ignoring Sam and then breaking his ties to his mom and sisters by sending him to NW.

Archived