Best Hand of the King?

Batman

Stannis, Davos or Tyrion. Ned if he ever learned to stop trusting everyone. I think the first three could root out the corruption on the Council.

Stannis would axe them, Davos would replace them and Tyrion would try to out think them. I like the Stannis course best.

Best hand;

From the Perspective of the People: Tyrion or Viserys II

(Both doing a tremendous job of shielding the realm from the folleys of fool kings.)

From the perspective of the King: Davos, not Bloodraven

(since he seemed all about to further his own power)

From the perspective of the Hand: Tywin

Best hand;

From the Perspective of the People: Tyrion or Viserys II

(Both doing a tremendous job of shielding the realm from the folleys of fool kings.)

From the perspective of the King: Davos, not Bloodraven

(since he seemed all about to further his own power)

From the perspective of the Hand: Tywin

Tyrion is the hand they need but the one they deserve or want

It would depend on who the King is, who sits on the Small Council, and which family is in power.

I think Tyrion did a good job at supressing Joffrey's tyranny, defending KL from Stannis, and securing alliances.

Davos and Stannis would be good Hands.

• 9 months later...

I'm going with Tyrion as the best hand for the realm and a horrible king, and Davos as the best hand for Stannis and the realm. Davos clearly compliments Stannis's own intelligence and leadership style better than probably anyone else could, and I doubt even Tyrion could match him in regards to the Last King Standing. But Tyrion has his father's intelligence and then some, and clearly has the type of personality that allows him to avoid his father's overbearing and overly brutal mistakes.

Tywin has the best credentials, but I'd say his best stuff happened when Joanna was still alive to manage his household and advise him. She clearly must have been very sharp to attract both Aerys and Tywin, she actually paid attention to the twins and their initial shenanigans, and she was even working on a marriage deal with Dorne before she died. I don't think it's a coincidence that Tywin's personal atrocities all seem to take place before (Rains of Castamere) or after (The Red Wedding) his marriage.

Tywin's turn as Hand over Joffrey was actually something of a failure. While Tyrion dealt with a hostile court with a personal vendetta from the queen regent and went head to head with Varys and Littlefinger while seemingly securing Dorne's place in the Seven Kingdoms, Tywin had to allow the Tyrells into King's Landing, thus setting up his grandson's death and has found himself allied with the Freys and Boltons, who have already proved themselves shit for allies. And then he allows Tyrion to outmanuver him by refusing to kill Gregor "The Mountain That Rapes" Clegane and going ahead with Tyrion's farce of a trial. And then he caps it off by stupidly encouraging his own death via taunting an armed Tyrion.

I think Tyrion's probably got enough empathy to avoid Tywin's somewhat inconsistent judgement of character that set up his fall from grace, so I've got Tyrion over Tywin.

• 1 year later...

I actually think Tyrion did a good job of it.

He is cunning and knows "the game" not extremely so, but well enough.

He is fair and just even when he or his family gains nothing from it other than a clean concience.

He has no reservations to deal fiercely with those who deserve it (Like Jonos Slynt, GM Pycelle etc..)

He defended Kings Landing well. They would have lost without help from Tywin/Tyrrells, but he did better than expected before those reinforcements arrived. (I.e. wildfire + underwater chain)

My vote goes to Tyrion

Archived