Cersei and Taena

KhaleesiDany

Haha, I thought that line was hilarious.

Good ol GRRM =)

Oh, no, it WAS funny... just at the same time made me cringe a little. I'm not really at all like that with anything in the book (and really, how can you be if you want to make it through the series?) it was just the wording. I laughed, but at the same time went "aaawwww god bleh," or something along those lines.

Gotta love GRRM's colorful descriptions.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that Cersei is confused about her gender. She talks so often of wishing she was a man, and about how she used to dress up in Jaime's clothing. Then, during the episode with Taena, instead of engaging in the mindset of a woman, she attempted to experience sex as men did. Specifically she wanted to know what it was like for Robert when he would commit spousal rape during their marriage. Very interesting. Does anyone agree with me?

• 1 month later...

I think the point of this scene is to show Cersei kinda taking revenge on the world for the wrongs she's been on the receiving end of. Now it's her turn. Maybe it's also intended to be titilating - though I tend to find most of Martin's sex scenes decidedly sordid, especially in this book - or maybe it's getting into dodgy territory equating a woman's sexuality with her mental or moral breakdown. But whether consciously or unconsciously, Cersei is mirroring Robert in this scene, whether to say "If he can behave like this then so can I," or she is turning into everything she despised about him.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree Green_Caitlin. The scene had less to do with sex and more with what Arya-Underfoot said. Absolute power corrupts absolutely and now that Cersei has come into power, she does seem to be mirroring Robert's behaviors. I think when you add it to the fact that Cersei seems to compartmentalize sex (sex she has to have vs sex she wants to have), you have a very bad combination.

On an aside, Cersei getting fat or possibly preggers? There was that dead chick in her morning egg...

Paradoxically, it's one of these moments when I feel a lot of sympathy for her. Yes, she's trying to imitate what Robert had been doing to her, but unlike him, she doesn't draw any pleasure from it. For a while she appears to be a sane and sensitive human being (I wrote "sane", because my theory is that Cersei suffers from some mental disorder, no one can think/act this way if they are mentally healthy; let's say I'm a naive person).

• 3 weeks later...

Paradoxically, it's one of these moments when I feel a lot of sympathy for her. Yes, she's trying to imitate what Robert had been doing to her, but unlike him, she doesn't draw any pleasure from it. For a while she appears to be a sane and sensitive human being (I wrote "sane", because my theory is that Cersei suffers from some mental disorder, no one can think/act this way if they are mentally healthy; let's say I'm a naive person).

Definitely Cersei has a personality disorder. I understand why she might want to cheat on Robert (awful battering sot that he was) but choosing her brother?

Honestly I have never figured out what was behind "Myrish Swamp"

Same, I felt bad for her in this scene. And she definitely has a mental disorder in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

I'm gay, but this scene was very erotic for me, kinda made me horny... just like the Dany' scene at the beginning of ASOS. I really like the fact Cersei did this, because it's just another way to prove her power to herself as the regent queen. The seven kingdoms are hers (or that what she thinks), so it's just another game of power to her. It's just like she says later in the book: a few kisses to ensure loyalty (I don't know how's written in the book 'cause I read it in spanish, but I'm trying to translate).

So it happened, but she's not proud of that, it's just a way to say: "Nothing can stop me"

It did happen but didn't she say that because she wanted to feel like Robert in the sense that's she the Queen claiming her rights, she's drunk and wont remember it in the morning like he never did with her?

I agree that this scene is Cercei's way of trying out some of Robert's habits to see how they work for her. Cercei believes she is coming into her full power and becoming more king-like every day, so she figures she'll try exerting some sexual dominance as well. I also agree with green_caitlyn's comment that she ultimately doesn't get any true enjoyment out of the act with Taena.

I think it's interesting how elsewhere around this chapter Cercei acknowledges to herself that "it was never any good with anyone but Jaime." It makes me think that as twisted as Cercei and Jaime's relationship has been, they were truly in love with eachother throughout most of it, even if for narcissistic reasons, i.e., being in love with one another was almost like being in love with themselves since they look so much alike.

Also, I suspect that the action between Cercei and Taena may be a set-up for some later plot development involving Jaime. I haven't read much beyond this point yet, so I'm speculating here. With Taena sharing Cercei's bed and they two of them conducting certain activities in that bed (yeah, they did it), there are sure to be some of Taena's dark hairs left behind in the bed. Jaime is already suspicious about Cercei's screwing around behind his back, and he's particularly suspicious about Osmund Kettleblack being one of her lovers. I can just picture a scene with Jaime finding some of those black hairs from the Myrish swamp (sorry, couldn't help throwing that in) and going into a fit of rage at Cercei.

And since Taena has refused to have her son brought to court, presumably to keep him safe at home, I seriously doubt that Taena is as smitten with Cercei as Cercei believes.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys say the myrish swamp was a good one. I cant stop picturing cersei eating millions of princes! she's a monster!!! At first i thought she meant the bastards that were ordered to be slain in ACoK but she was refering to the times she would pleasure Robert without having to bear his children.

^^ That! I had to read that quick and move on. To quote Takei, "Oh myyy!"

Archived