Advantage of having Valyrian blade?

Batman

I think we are forgetting one very important factor about these swords. As heirlooms we have seen over and over again that the son must be good enough to earn them. Now this is not always the case that we can see, but in every case where a sword changes hands or doesn't the current bearer is passing judgement on the new bearer.

Jon Earns Longclaw

Rob is expected to earn Ice (though we suspect it will be given to him anyway)

Sam is explicitly denied his from Dad

Brienne earns hers from Jaime

Only in the case of Joffrey do we see a VS sword given to someone who did nothing to earn it, and then again that is a special case given that the person bestowing the sword did nothing to earn it.

In the end this leads me to believe that the mystique surrounding VS swords leads to greater training and greater practice, thereby greater swordsmen.

Obviously, two equally matches swordsmen is the pure test, but you don't just find these things washing up on the quiet isle now do you?

It is my understanding that while most Westerosi VS swords are indeed prized heirlooms, they are seem as tokens of favor, not of worth.

Dawn (not a VS blade anyway) is a special case, because House Darry does pass judgement on its wielders.

House Dayne.

And yes, in fact, most houses, the sword belongs the lord. It's a symbol of their authority. Lyn Corbray wieldling Lady Forlorn is an exception to the rule. And of course House Dayne, who are very unusual in this regard since that's their normal mode -- the sword goes to a Dayne found worthy to be given the office of Sword of the Morning.

I think the answer to your question can not be answered directly. It all depends on the wielder. Plus, you have to remember that most Valyrian blades are passed down through families. So say you are a Stark and you inherit Ice, it isnt going to help you much if you are used to fighting with an axe up until this point.

Archived