The Future of House Baratheon

Timcom

With the Baratheon line running thin I'm convinced that Stannis is going to legitimize one of Robert's Bastards. I think that is more likely to be Gendry for a couple of reasons.

1) When he does it, it will be a desperation move. His wife and daughter have been overrun by Others, and he is about to face imminent death himself. Edric is off somewhere in the free cities. Gendry is still in the thick of things and it's not too hard to imagine Stannis and Gendry could cross paths.

2) The show has focused on Gendry while Edric Storm seems to have been cut from season 3 altogether. I loved when Davos saves him and it would really be a shame to loose that scene if ends up being legitimized. I bet the people producing the show would have tried to work him in if he was going to be a major player later on. Who knows maybe they will work him in eventually?

With the Baratheon line running thin I'm convinced that Stannis is going to legitimize one of Robert's Bastards. I think that is more likely to be Gendry for a couple of reasons.

1) When he does it, it will be a desperation move. His wife and daughter have been overrun by Others, and he is about to face imminent death himself. Edric is off somewhere in the free cities. Gendry is still in the thick of things and it's not too hard to imagine Stannis and Gendry could cross paths.

2) The show has focused on Gendry while Edric Storm seems to have been cut from season 3 altogether. I loved when Davos saves him and it would really be a shame to loose that scene if ends up being legitimized. I bet the people producing the show would have tried to work him in if he was going to be a major player later on. Who knows maybe they will work him in eventually?

agreed. Definitely there is reason to think one or all of the Baratheon bastards will end up being legitimized. Although I struggle to see Stannis ever doing that. But outside of that, yes, there has to be a reason Gendry, Edric Storm, and Mya Stone have been prominently featured in different characters POVs. As we know, "the seed is strong" with the Baratheons and they all have the true Baratheon look.

I think House Baratheon is gone. I don't think anyone would even want to legitimize any of Roberts bastards. Aegon and Dany (if she ever gets to Westeros) wouldn't.

As for the fist cousin thing, correct me if i am wrong but weren't Tywin and Joanna cousins?

I think House Baratheon is gone. I don't think anyone would even want to legitimize any of Roberts bastards. Aegon and Dany (if she ever gets to Westeros) wouldn't.

As for the fist cousin thing, correct me if i am wrong but weren't Tywin and Joanna cousins?

First cousins actually :rolleyes:

But I don't think any of Robert's bastards would need to be legitimized to become lords of Storm's End (a claim can be forged in more than legitimisation). And anyways, I think many of the players in the game would legitimize one of the Baratheon bastards if it would serve their goals - for example to subdue the Storm Lords (Stannis was willing to do it for Jon, in order to gain the North).

Of course in the case of Aegon or Daenerys succeeding in conquering Westeros it would be hard seeing them letting or even elevating any of the Baratheon bastards to Lords of Storm's End (why not choose somebody who has proven themselves loyal to their cause... - clue, it would be a whole lot of different if they were to aid them in taking the Iron Throne).

I do not think it is particularly clear how seriously / to heart (no pun intended) Stannis takes the Red Religion. It is at least partly political with much pressure from his lady wife.

Either way, let us not forget that Gendry now worships R'hllor and a prominent (perhaps later leading) figure within a band of R'hllor followers. A political alignment between the only two R'hllor factions in Westeros seems an entirely natural direction for events.

So, on consideration, Stannis may choose Gendry over Edric. Edric is also in open adoration of Robert (there is no surer way annoy Stannis) whereas Gendry is stubbornly indifferent.

...And what of Shireen? How ardent a follower of the Red God is she? With a mother so zealous, there is no doubt that she has grown up within the faith.

If Stannis becomes aware of Gendry it kind of makes sense to pick the one bastard that has also embraced the Red God, even while I would rather see Edric Storm become then next, lord Baratheon. But most likely Stannis will want his own seed to succeed him and will probably rather marry Shireen to carefully selected knight/lord than take on Robert's bastards.

I do however that House Baratheon will be able to swing things around and come out strong.

Daenerys almost certainly wouldn't recognize any of Robert's bastards. It would be stupid as it just lessens her legitimacy. Checking the family trees on the wiki, it appears that she actually is next in line after Shireen as is, but only if Robert have no living descendant eligible for succession. If Stannis and Shireen die with no descendants, she'd be the rightful heir to both Aerys and Robert. From a legitime Joffrey/Tommen however, a handful of Lannisters have better claims.

Both of them are not going to survive to the end, I'm willing to bet my left hand on that.

So Stannis, Shireen, Gendry, Edric, Mya, Bella and Barra, and all Robert's other bastards, will all die without producing children?

I think Gendry will be legitimized. If I'm not mistaken, Littlefinger is the only one that currently knows of Gendry's parentage. I also think Mya Stone will be important later. For both of them, the fact that they're bastards of Robert has to be important. Otherwise, what would be the point of bothering to include that detail?

I thought the two Florent ladies were cousins and not sisiers. i could be wrong on ths one though.

No, you're right.

I think the Baratheons aren't quite out of the picture yet. They've featured too prominently to just die off. I think we'll see Edric, maybe Gendry, become a Baratheon in name.

Why are they irrelevant?Well none of them carries the Baratheon name and I don't see that changing.

Unless they become legitimised by a king.

Which, you know is kind of how House Baratheon came into existence in the first place. Orys Baratheon wasn't born a Baratheon, after all.

Unless they become legitimised by a king.

Which, you know is kind of how House Baratheon came into existence in the first place. Orys Baratheon wasn't born a Baratheon, after all.

Actually I believe he was, the storm kings before him had another name but I get your point.Still why would any future king want to legitimise them?

Archived