Robb's place in history

Fat Mac

It's quite possible to like/write fantasy and heroic characters without necessarily buy into their bullshit.

What bs is that?

Robb bowing to the man who took his fathers head would only put his leadership of the north in danger, since the men of that region wouldn't willfully follow a man so weak.

And you're discounting who he'd be bowing down to.

Joffrey and Cersei are likely to seek to kill them all the same, since both are cut from the cloth of stupidity/paranoia.

Are you reading the books or do you just skim through them?

I don't get your point. William Wallace is a legend in Scotland, Scotland did regain their independence in part thanks to Wallace.

True, I was trying to say he Wallace is revered in scotland as a great man and military genious whereas the arthurian legend has a mysticism and magic and the whole he will come again when needed part which makes him

And though Scotland gained independence after him the teaching of scotish history in england rightly or wrongly focuses on it being a path to unification so his actions come across as futile and the OP was asking how he'd be rembered in throughout the Kingdom. I also chose Wallace because he polarises the two halfs of britain. The Scots love him yet the English see him as an annoying rebel with ideas above his station and I always viewed Robb as generating these sorts of opposing views.

Well, let's see. A young king who assumes power in his teenage years, spends all of his reign at war even after there is no longer any hope of victory, and ends up destroying his kingdom and causing the end of his family line...

We can guess how history will remember him because we already have an example of someone like that in real-world history:

http://en.wikipedia....s_XII_of_Sweden

And he is remembered like this:

They literally sing songs about him. He is a folk hero.

So I think it is certain that Robb Stark will be remembered as a young romantic hero who fought for justice and honour, and died for love at the hands of evil traitors. His faults will be forgotten. The fact that he lost the war and possibly doomed his House will be ignored. History loves young warriors who win glory in battle and die in their prime. If their military feats were not actually all that great, that's no problem - they'll just get exaggerated until they look properly heroic. From Joan of Arc to Che Guevara, this has always been the practice.

If the psychology of people in the world of ASoIaF is anything like our own, in a couple of hundred years they will have a statue of Robb Stark above the gates of the rebuilt Winterfell and people will swear that he once killed 10 Lannisters with his bare hands while passionately kissing Jeyne.

(P.S. Hi! First post. :) )

Eldest son of Lord Eddard Stark. Wartime prodigy, who fell due to love, and was betrayed at the red wedding by his bannerman who violated the sacred act of guest right. If Greatjon Umber and Brynden Tully live on til the end of their days, Robb Stark's legacy as the King in the North who never lost a battle will live on too. Also the young frey who squired for him i imagine will tell everyone what a great liege lord he was, even if he has to say it without his family knowing.

I'm frightened of the consequences if the Greatjon and the Blackfish somehow obtain a bit of power.

Well, I would be if my house was Frey or Bolton.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever wins the Iron Throne, Robb will be remembered as a usurper. A foolish boy who wanted to be a King. But, he will still be remembered as one of the most capable commanders of The War of the Five Kings.

The North will remember him in another light. He will be remembered as a freedom fighter who gave his life fighting the tyranny of the South. The Northerners will tell their children of the Young Wolf who rode a direwolf into battle.

Usually people praise young warrior kings who tragically die young. But I think if one of his siblings mange to unite the north and help defeat the others by the end of series and become the king/queen/lord/lady of the north, history will remember this Stark as the hero and compares Robb unfavorably to him/her as the King who lost the North compared to the Stark who saved it.

Archived