[Spoiler]Do you all hate Bran?

ShadowRaven

Yeah, I have to say I found Bran's chapters boring up until the mysticism started really kicking in. It's only now that there's some weird shit going on that he's actually become interesting to me.

Sometimes reading ASOIAF it's easy to forget that it's a fantasy story and not just a pseudo-historical novel about somewhere that's never been. If there were no magic at all, I personally wouldn't be that interested in the story as much.

I think GRRM handles the magic just perfectly. It's "magical" enough to arouse a sense of wonder and to enchant the atmosphere of the story in general, but not intrusive enough or ubiquitous enough to devalue the everyday, or ordinary ways of doing things.

The fact that he's upping the magical ante a bit with Bran is just right at this point in the story, IMHO. After umpteen chapters of political intrigue and quotidian events, we need reminding that this is fundamentally a magical universe, a high fantasy story.

Those who can't stand that magical heat, should get out of the kitchen ;)

The fact that he's upping the magical ante a bit with Bran is just right at this point in the story, IMHO. After umpteen chapters of political intrigue and quotidian events, we need reminding that this is fundamentally a magical universe, a high fantasy story.

Those who can't stand that magical heat, should get out of the kitchen ;)

:thumbsup:

Archived