Vote: Who was the father of Ashara's child?

I think it was either Ned or someone else entirely.

Lady Dustin's story about Brandon proved he wasn't exactly a gentleman, but I don't think he would sleep with a woman that his little brother was crushing on.

It doesn't sound like the Brandon who strangled himself while trying to save his father.

Can't see it being Brandon. Yes, from what we know, Brandon was a bit of an asshole.

But I still don't see him fucking and knocking up the woman his brother is in love with. I just can't see it happening. There is also the possibility Asasha wasn't interested in Brandon because of his womanizing ways and personality. I know women are attracted to the bad boy 99% of the time, but perhaps Asarha was that lone 1% that wasn't?

Even if she was, I still don't see Brandon doing that to Ned.

I think some kind of hate would come from Ned toward Brandon if that happened, I think he would have viewed him in a less than positive light.

I believe good ol' Ned's honor caused her death. Brandon dying meant he (Ned) had to marry Cat when he was already in love and involved with Asahra (They probably promised to marry).

So, being honor-bound, he did his duty and went to war with the Targs. He marches to Starfall to find out where Ser Arthur and his Sister are (Probably thinking he could reason with him, given the Prince was dead). Ned promises no harm would come to either of them.

Doesn't turn out well. Arthur dies, Lyanna dies, Ned ends up with a bastard (Jon). He goes back to Starfall with Dawn, and tells Ashara what happened, and tells her he can't be with her because he is married to Cat.

Ashara kills herself with grief/rejection.

Ned doesn't want to talk about Jon's parentage, Ashara etc. because it reminds him of what happened. He is responsible for the death of his beloved (Ashara). His sister died giving birth to a child of Rhaegar's(Who she loved), he pretended the child was his bastard, dishonoring Cat.. He was partially responsible for killing his sisters love, his sister basically caused the war.. Robert was probably going to make a horrible husband to Lyanna..

I mean, that whole period was most likely hell to a guy like Ned. Common thing here is Love and Honor caused a lot of deaths.

I've always said Love was evil ;).

I think some kind of hate would come from Ned toward Brandon if that happened, I think he would have viewed him in a less than positive light.

I believe good ol' Ned's honor caused her death. Brandon dying meant he (Ned) had to marry Cat when he was already in love and involved with Asahra (They probably promised to marry).

So, being honor-bound, he did his duty and went to war with the Targs. He marches to Starfall to find out where Ser Arthur and his Sister are (Probably thinking he could reason with him, given the Prince was dead). Ned promises no harm would come to either of them.

Doesn't turn out well. Arthur dies, Lyanna dies, Ned ends up with a bastard (Jon). He goes back to Starfall with Dawn, and tells Ashara what happened, and tells her he can't be with her because he is married to Cat.

Ashara kills herself with grief/rejection.

Ned doesn't want to talk about Jon's parentage, Ashara etc. because it reminds him of what happened. He is responsible for the death of his beloved (Ashara). His sister died giving birth to a child of Rhaegar's(Who she loved), he pretended the child was his bastard, dishonoring Cat.. He was partially responsible for killing his sisters love, his sister basically caused the war.. Robert was probably going to make a horrible husband to Lyanna..

I mean, that whole period was most likely hell to a guy like Ned. Common thing here is Love and Honor caused a lot of deaths.

I've always said Love was evil ;).

But where is the evidence that Ned was in love with her? I don't think he really comes across as someone whose true love was anyone other than Cat. Also, there was some resentment about Brandon when he mentions him in aGoT-some bitternesss about his brother and how 'it was all meant for Brandon'.

Ned Stark, I think it could have very well been that at the time that Ned/Ashara fell in love & were making their own plans together. War happens, Ned is forced to marry Cat because of Brandons death & then Ashara commits suicide.

Ned Dayne from Starfall talks to Arya, tells her that Ashara/Ned were in love, then she gets all mad & defensive. Obviously he heard it from his relatives, some of whom were close to her. If it was Brandon, why wouldnt the Daynes know about it & tell people it was him? Even after the war they still believe Ned/Ashara fell in love at the tourney.

The real question is where is the kid? Even though I like this theory better than R+L=J, it doesnt seem like its Jon.

Brandon Stark for me.

Known to be abrasive, hotheaded, doing things before thinking...

Aaaannd...

I wonder if it was a bit of a stab against Rhaegar. Rhaegar unhorsed Brandon at the tourney of Harrenhal...Ashara was a ladies companion to Elia Martell...

What better way to get back at the Crown Prince by sleeping with a member of the Crown Princess' entourage? :dunno:

Selmy did believe it was a Stark. Ned just seemed too introverted, too shy, too honourable..just to jump into bed the same night he met his crush. In regards to him setting up Ned and Ashara to dance, he probably was just teasing Ned a little, and remember that there appeared to have been some competition between them.

Brandon seems like the type to just dive right in. Especially since he was about to get married immediatly after, so can see him getting some fun before his upcoming nuptials.

If not Brandon, then I'll put in a vote for Rickard Stark. Maybe farfetched, we don't know exactly where he was, and we don't know the type of man he was either - but it does leave it open to interpretation.

Everything points to Ned, who is big enough of cours, and makes Ashara storyline tragic: she falls in love with this noble Northern lord, gets pregnant (and frankly, hanging out with Robert for so long and in such a young age, it's not out of the question for Ned to not be a virgin at time of the marriage) but then war comes and they are in opposite sides. The child is stillborn, and when Ned meets her again, he's married to someone else (because he had to), has another bastard with him (not his, but she doesn't know that), and just killed her brother (in self-defense), so she kills herself.

Plus, it makes a parallel to Robb's storyline: both Ned and Robb go to war to avenge their fathers, both are forced to marry Riverlands ladies to win support, both fall in love with girls on the enemy's side; Ned chooses duty and wins the war, later on has many children and a great marriage, Robb chooses love and suffers a tragic fate.

I would seriously love to read it... But I still think its Brandon's.

Being on the matter... I can completelly see Ned marrying Cat as a virgin. I mean, we get from the books he was very shy, form the point he had to ask for his brother to invite Ashara to dance in his place. And I kinda pictured Brandon as an asshole.

This would lead to another theory I believe, that Ashara is actually Septa Lemore.

So... Brandon

Ned Stark. Remember Wylla?

Robert remembers that there was a girl. For Robert to remember that it had to be from before the rebelion.

Also Wylla is a wet nurse present at Starfall, possible ToJ and Winterfell. Maybe she also acted as a possible decoy to cover up an affair?

Archived