Why did Robert dislike Stannis?

Vandalism

Was it just an example of how Robert could be a total ass alongside being a generally good, not-evil guy?

Stannis served him extremely faithfully. He held Storm's End while starving for Robert. He took Dragonstone for him and there was no way in hell he could have caught Viserys and Danaerys as they had run off before his fleet arrived.

He destroyed the Iron Fleet for Robert and subdued Great Wyk in his name.

Yet all Robert did was spite him. Why was this?

Be serious. Robert was more than a castle away most of the time, he wouldn't have heard it.

Be serious. Robert was more than a castle away most of the time, he wouldn't have heard it.

Stannis probably tried to get Robert to be "responsible" and "grow up" and "try ruling" when all Robert wanted was just another goddamned beer and a quick tumble with Bessie AND WHY DON' T YOU GET OFF HIS BACK YOU STIFF NECKED HUMAN FOSSIL?

Seriously though, different veneer, same core. Both refused to let things go (Stannis and his slights, Robert and Lyanna), both had very rigid "my way or the high way" styles of thought. Both share a wth-me-or-against-me attitude.

I think they were both too similar to get along.

Because Robert was a hedonist, and Stannis doesn't even drink. Robert thought his Kingship was a giant party, and Stannis felt it was a duty, and Robert probably knew secretly Stannis was right (his confession to Ned on his deathbed he was a bad king). Stannis represented things to Robert he'd sooner forget.

Why does Stannis get a pass for not telling Robert about Jaime and Cersei and their kids? I think this would be important information to share with your brother the king yet Stannis does not a say a word about it until after Robert is dead. Stannis flees KL and never says a word, not to Robeert, not to Ned. For such a teeth grinding man of duty he sure failed his king and brother on this point.

Why does Stannis get a pass for not telling Robert about Jaime and Cersei and their kids? I think this would be important information to share with your brother the king yet Stannis does not a say a word about it until after Robert is dead. Stannis flees KL and never says a word, not to Robeert, not to Ned. For such a teeth grinding man of duty he sure failed his king and brother on this point.

Because he went to Jon Arryn to gather proof, realising if it was his word versus Cersei's, Robert was not inclined to believe him.

But before they can go to Robert, Jon Arryn is murdered. Stannis is in exactly the same position he was before he went to Jon Arryn (Robert not believing him), so he fled to Dragonstone lest he too be murdered.

Because he went to Jon Arryn to gather proof, realising if it was his word versus Cersei's, Robert was not inclined to believe him.

But before they can go to Robert, Jon Arryn is murdered. Stannis is in exactly the same position he was before he went to Jon Arryn (Robert not believing him), so he fled to Dragonstone lest he too be murdered.

And in doing so failed his king and his brother and his duty. If King "teeth grinder" Stannis was as dutiful as he claims then he would have provided this information to the King consequences be damned. Instead King Duty only acts on this information when it directly serves his own interest e.g. claiming the Ironthrone.

Because they're different enough from each other for their respective attitudes to conflict. Yet they're both similar enough to each other that they're too stubborn to reconcile their differences. It happens to alot of brothers in real life.

And in doing so failed his king and his brother and his duty.

The only way he can do his duty is by effectively getting himself killed. I don't see why it's so surprising he didn't do that.

There is any number of reasons why Robert, Stannis and Renly might have turned so indisposed towards each other, just like in real life. If I am not mistaken Robert was raised by Jon Arryn, but his brothers were not, and that probably did not help.

What we _do_ know is still plenty enough to justify disliking Stannis, for Robert orfor anyone else, however. He is a self-important fool, after all. He forced the recognition of Edric Storm on Robert at a later point and that is unlikely to have warmed them towards each other, as well.

Because Robert loves being liked by people, it makes him happy. Yet Stannis is a man who refuses to make friends, smile or drink at a feast.

It wouldn't be Stannis' word again Cersei's. Renly despises the Lannisters and would jump on any opportunity to get rid of them. Robert hates Cersei and would be happy to get rid of her. Equally if Tywin protests Robert can declare him a traitor, wiping all the debts away and giving the crown a chance to stick its fingers into Casterly Rock's treasury. Plus it gives Robert the chance to have that war he's been missing for the past 9 years.

What we _do_ know is still plenty enough to justify disliking Stannis, for Robert orfor anyone else, however. He is a self-important fool, after all. He forced the recognition of Edric Storm on Robert at a later point and that is unlikely to have warmed them towards each other, as well.

I agree with you on everything else, but Edric Storm can not really ever be used as a point against Stannis. This is the kid that Roberted fathered on Stannis' sister in-law in Stannis marriage bed, Edric Storm's very existence is an insult from Robert to Stannis.

It wouldn't be Stannis' word again Cersei's. Renly despises the Lannisters and would jump on any opportunity to get rid of them.

Renly's not involved though, since he hasn't seen any of the evidence or spoken to Jon Arryn before his death about it.

Nor is Robert going to view Renly as a credible witness, given he benefits exactly like Stannis does (as Robert's brothers they move up in the line of succession).

Robert hates Cersei and would be happy to get rid of her.

It means he has to get rid of his children as well.

Now, maybe he would have believed Stannis, it's impossible to know, but Stannis certainly felt Robert wasn't going to believe him, which is why he didn't tell him.

Stannis is awesome, IMO Robert wanted to suppress him as he knew this.

Stannis is the most "Alpha" of any Alpha Male ever.

And that's why we dub him STANNIS THE MANNIS.

I'm a Stark Resilient Loyalist, and even I admire Stannis. He'd make an excellent Northman. Him and Greatjon Umber in the same room? Delicious!

Edit: Not in that way, shippers. Greatjon/Stannis isn't meant to happen. Ever.

Archived