[Book Spoilers] The Dragons

Poe

I don't necessarily buy into the cage theory, remember, its hinted at now that the Maesters were killing off the dragons, they could have been stunting them in other ways. Plus I dont know how these dragons do it, but they had a limited population pool as well, which means its possible they were inbreeding themselves smaller.

If I remember right dragons have a weird asexual reproductive system where they can give birth on their own but the offspring wouldn't be a copy of the parent

Well it's obvious that if they were bigger that they couldn't have been stolen, which would have made so much more sense right? What was wrong with how the story actually was written?! That she went in basically out of desperation having been turned down by everyone else in the city for help?

So yes, I also thought they were ridiculously small by the end. She better start them on some extra growth promoting meat soon! ;)

Whatever passes for Myoplex in Westeros.

Before E10 last Sunday , I had a 'make a wish moment', I was hoping for a surprise, just a small one.

Well we got Jason Momoa , I liked that!

But I was thinking ... well D and D spoke about it on that CNN special...and David J. Peterson has mentioned it.

I thought it would have been cool if Pyat Pree had of addressed Dany in High Valyrian, since she speaks it, she have given him an bashing in High Valyrian ..., because she then uses that one High Valyrian word we know now... just once in that scene.

Magic back in the world, you see....

Ah , so it goes.

Before E10 last Sunday , I had a 'make a wish moment', I was hoping for a surprise, just a small one.

Well we got Jason Momoa , I liked that!

But I was thinking ... well D and D spoke about it on that CNN special...and David J. Peterson has mentioned it.

I thought it would have been cool if Pyat Pree had of addressed Dany in High Valyrian, since she speaks it, she have given him an bashing in High Valyrian ..., because she then uses that one High Valyrian word we know now... just once in that scene.

Magic back in the world, you see....

Ah , so it goes.

That would've been cool, but the Valyrian language is something that hasn't been talked about on the show either. Most people I've talked to think "Dracarys" is Dothraki

I agree with OP in that when i saw them in House of the Undying, my first thought was that they need to be bigger.

***SPOILER***

in SOS, they are big enough to fly from ship to ship. and the time frame doesnt match up because they get stuck at sea shortly after they leave Qarth, so the dragons either need to have some sort of explainable growth spurt, or they need to be able to fly at that current size, which i dont see.

so yes the dragons did seem unusually small for me, but as somebody mentioned, if they are much bigger the dragon-napping by the blue men becomes unbelievable because dragons the size of small dog may be able to defend themselves. of course they are trained not to fire off unless given the password. either way, one of my biggest gripes of season 1 was the lack of size of the direwolves, and in season 2 they corrected that very early on with an impressive display from Grey Wind.

That would've been cool, but the Valyrian language is something that hasn't been talked about on the show either. Most people I've talked to think "Dracarys" is Dothraki

Unless someone knows otherwise, I have to agree.

Now Valyria has been spoken of, Dany has told people she is Valyrian , twice (more than that?), even others have mentioned that she is Valyrian.

We have heard the names of Targ monarchs , who were Valyrian, even Arya elaborates on Aegon I, correcting Tywin about Aegon's conquest, when he fails to mention sisters Visenya and Rhaenys and their dragons Vhagar and Meraxes , Valyrian words. Tho I don't remember this being specified as Valyrian words (actually High Valyrian).

(By the by this was a detail about the Westeros conquest I thought would not be mentioned on the show.

Nice surprise.)

They aren't big enough, and I as well don't like the fact that they look exactly the same minus color. For the dragons not to be an epic flop they will have to make them more distinct, in the books their differences were very apparent from the moment they started to grow.

I have a question, am I the onlt one that wasn't really all that impressed with the CGI?

I mean it looked good I guess, more like just alright though to me. I feel like the dragons have that shinny pop-off-the-screen-doesn't-look-real-or-like-it-should-be-there, sort of look going on. And to say it was the best CGI dragon/s you've ever seen is pretty erroneous, the Nazgul from LOTR, Harry Potter, Reign of Fire, just to name some off the top of my head that were better not equally as good.

This. Additionally, in this world, dragons are real, living breathing animals, who just happen to be able to breathe fire. The fire itself is not magic, just really hot, really powerful--fire.

There is a huge correlation between dragons and magic. Furthermore, the books clearly describe the dragon's flames as being colored. Not fully black/green/gold, in the way that the wildfire was entirely green but subtly streaked with each respective color. I can agree with sennahoj that full colored flames might look silly on screen, but not that dragon fire isn't magical.

IIRC it was only mentioned in Dance, when Quentyn is getting roasted, and when drogon is in the fighting pit, so maybe only big dragons get colored flames.

Archived