[Book Spoilers] The Dragons

Poe

The dragons are a wonderful bit of CGI but they dont appear to have grown at all since the start of the season. In the House of the undying i pictured the dragons as the size of a medium sized dog.... perhaps a little bigger. Anyone else feel they need to speed up the dragon growth to keep it up to the books?

They def should have been a bit bigger is based on the books, however the inclusion of all 3 might have removed that necessity to make it believe that they could kill a man.

The dragons had been away from their mother for some time so I'm sure this could be a reason for the stunted growth.

I thought they looked a little small, and I do hope they have them grow quickly. Drogon will need to be large enough for Dany to ride him come Dance, and I really can't wait for that scene.

I was a little disappointed in their coloring though. They looked neon and it made them look less realistic. I thought Drogon looked good, but Viserion especially didn't look cream and gold.

It's a small nitpick so I'm not too upset about it.

but I guess it would be too expensive to have two sizes of dragons in one season.

Its actually quite easy to increase their size same way they did with wolf's,when merging cgi with live picture in post production,so it wasnt the budget problem.

Well it's obvious that if they were bigger that they couldn't have been stolen, which would have made so much more sense right? What was wrong with how the story actually was written?! That she went in basically out of desperation having been turned down by everyone else in the city for help?

So yes, I also thought they were ridiculously small by the end. She better start them on some extra growth promoting meat soon! ;)

Agree with HT that I am impressed with these dragons, even though they were small in this episode. ;)

The creature design is really well done, as is their movement and the detail of their bodies. I was afraid of what they would look like before we were introduced to them last season...sometimes creature designers don't seem to know how to pull off a convincing, intelligent body for these things. The only other dragons I can recall being on the screen I liked this much were in Harry Potter and Dragonheart.

-applause!-

My only gripe with the HotU scene is how easily Pree poofed into flames from the three little jets sent out by the wee hatclings.

I was impressed with the CGI even if they could've been a bit bigger. Most of the CGI has been spectacular for a TV show. I do wish that they'd made them more distinct from each other though. They were basically just the same dragon but with different colouring. Just a personal preference as in my head they look very different to one another. In my head: Drogon has a sort of solid neck frill around his head and he's obviously a bit beefier than the others. Viserion has much smaller horns and an almost beak-like snout, Rhaegal's much more serpent like and has super long horns and a much more pointed snout. Obviously unrealistic of me to expect the D+D to read my minds though :P

Is anyone else disappointed that they don't have color matched fire? Black and red for Drogon, green for Rhaegal and, gold for Viserion?

I think after the green wildfire that would have been too much. From other fantasy movies most people would expect dragonfire to be just the usual shade of, well, fire, just coming out of a dragon's jaw. Black, red, green and gold fire would look a bit silly on screen IMO, at least next to one another. It would just look like fireworks all over again, and we already had that with the wildfire.

I think after the green wildfire that would have been too much. From other fantasy movies most people would expect dragonfire to be just the usual shade of, well, fire, just coming out of a dragon's jaw. Black, red, green and gold fire would look a bit silly on screen IMO, at least next to one another. It would just look like fireworks all over again, and we already had that with the wildfire.

This. Additionally, in this world, dragons are real, living breathing animals, who just happen to be able to breathe fire. The fire itself is not magic, just really hot, really powerful--fire.

Perhaps once they get on a ship and start cleaning up all the rats and fishing, they'll start to grow more rapidly. I can't wait to see them larger, as I assume they will be next season.

And if I'm remembering the books accurately, the last dragons (before our 3 came along) kept getting smaller and smaller over the generations because they were kept confined. They must be able to fly free and unrestrained before they can begin to attain enormous growth. (Notice I refer to Drogon, Rhaegal and Vyserion as 'our 3.' That's because I like to feel a part of whoever and whatever gets to actually have dragons. I want a dragon. At least one.) :P

Archived