(Book Spoilers) The last scene for each episode of season 3?

StappyNappy

It feels like there's a bit of myth surrounding episode 9. Yes, Blackwater was huge while 2x10 was more of a breather episode (mainly because ACoK only had one climax in Blackwater, everything else is just build-up really), but 1x09 wasn't really more climax-y than any other episode. It's memorable because of the shocking and powerful ending, but the rest of the episode isn't a whole lot different to the rest of the series. And while Ned's death is big, I'd argue that the birth of Dany's dragons in 1x10 is a bigger moment in regards to the series as a whole.

So yeah, episode 9 will always have big stuff in, because it's nearing the end of the season, and with a dozen different storylines running all over the world, some of them will inevitably climax in that episode. But that doesn't mean to say that episode 9 is the only episode that big stuff can happen in. As the amount of divergent storylines increases, inevitably some will climax across other episodes.

When it comes to S4, there are two major climaxes - Jon's election to LC, and Tywin's toilet adventures - and LF's murder of Lysa is huge too (but more as a capper on the entire series up to that point, rather than just ASoS/S4). Either one of these could act as the main climax to the season, but my bet would be Oberyn/Gregor in episode 8, Jon/LC in episode 9 while Tyrion takes a breather in his cell, and then the Wall can sit the finale out, and 4x10 will deal with Tyrion killing Tywin and events in the Vale. I wouldn't put Tywin's death in episode 9 because there is a lot of immediate aftermath to it - Cersei and Jaime's reaction to the death, Cersei's rise in power, Tyrion in Pentos... it's a lot of material, and as it is immediate reactions, it would feel weird if it didn't happen in the episode immediately after the death. But it's enough to take up most of an episode, and the finale doesn't have that kind of time, and more importantly, it just feels more like season-opener stuff. It's all setting up the arcs of these characters - Cersei coming into power, Tyrion heading to Daenerys, Jaime drifting away from his family... it should be at the start of the season, like it was at the start of the book.

It feels like there's a bit of myth surrounding episode 9. Yes, Blackwater was huge while 2x10 was more of a breather episode (mainly because ACoK only had one climax in Blackwater, everything else is just build-up really), but 1x09 wasn't really more climax-y than any other episode. It's memorable because of the shocking and powerful ending, but the rest of the episode isn't a whole lot different to the rest of the series. And while Ned's death is big, I'd argue that the birth of Dany's dragons in 1x10 is a bigger moment in regards to the series as a whole.

So yeah, episode 9 will always have big stuff in, because it's nearing the end of the season, and with a dozen different storylines running all over the world, some of them will inevitably climax in that episode. But that doesn't mean to say that episode 9 is the only episode that big stuff can happen in. As the amount of divergent storylines increases, inevitably some will climax across other episodes.

Agree with this. I'm expecting to see Jaime save Brienne in Episode 9, as well as Jon escaping from the wildlings, if it doesn't happen in Episode 8. That way, the audience's spirits are lifted before the massive gut punch of the Red Wedding. We saw this in 'Baelor' too. The last scene before Ned's execution was Robb capturing Jaime. Maybe we'll even see Daenerys capture Yunkai.

And as for Season 4, i'm expecting the Kingsmoot to be moved earlier, since it does happen around the time of Balon's death. The question is: will that be all we see of the Iron Islanders for Season 4?

Agree with this. I'm expecting to see Jaime save Brienne in Episode 9, as well as Jon escaping from the wildlings, if it doesn't happen in Episode 8. That way, the audience's spirits are lifted before the massive gut punch of the Red Wedding. We saw this in 'Baelor' too. The last scene before Ned's execution was Robb capturing Jaime. Maybe we'll even see Daenerys capture Yunkai.

I agree about Jaime/Brienne, but I think Jon/Queenscrown is going to be episode 8. Episode 9 we see him arrive back at the Wall, then episode 10 finishes off Jon's arc with Ygritte's death.

And as for Season 4, i'm expecting the Kingsmoot to be moved earlier, since it does happen around the time of Balon's death. The question is: will that be all we see of the Iron Islanders for Season 4?

I expect so. It's a good end to the arc. Euron can send Vic off with the dragon horn at the start of S5.

Ep 1- Samwell and Night's Watch retreating back to the fist

Ep 2- Arya's identity is proclaimed at inn

Ep 3- Davos is arrested

Ep 4- Jaime's hand is cut off

Ep 5- scene of Jon and the magnar's host scaling the wall

Ep 6- Dracarys scene at Astapor

Ep 7- Jon escaping from Queenscrown

Ep 8- Sam and Gilly surrounded by Wights at Whitetree

Ep 9- Red Wedding

Ep 10- "Mysha!" at Yunkai

In episode ten, at the end: we see Jon escaping Queenscrown in the storm and riding off, his leg is wounded, and leaves non-readers wondering if he'll live. We see Stannis preparing his fleet and boarding his family and army to go.........non-readers will wonder where he is going.

In episode ten, at the end: we see Jon escaping Queenscrown in the storm and riding off, his leg is wounded, and leaves non-readers wondering if he'll live. We see Stannis preparing his fleet and boarding his family and army to go.........non-readers will wonder where he is going.

Queenscrown is more likely to be E7 imo. Keep in mind that Bran has to be present for Queenscrown as well if they're to preserve much of the drama, and he doesn't have much content. Stretching all his story prior to Queenscrown over 9 episodes would be too much.

Kingsmoot being moved forward makes sense and then the Iron Islanders will only appear again in season 5. Unless they decide to show some of Theon's time at the Dreadfort in season 4 or add some scenes with Asha/Yara, Victarion or Aeron to give the viewer more information on those people.

1. Davos thrown in jail

2. Tywin proposes Tyrion marry Sansa

3. Jaime gets a handy lesson in humility

4. Sam the Slayer

5. Beric vs Hound with revival shown on screen

6. Dracarys

7. Jon escapes Queenscrown

8. Sam and Gilly saved by Coldhands

9. Panaromic shot of RW to Rains of Castamere

10. Mother

I like these. For some reason, I have also been picturing the first episode opening with Davos starving on his rock. Don't know why -- I just think it would make a really great opening.

I like these. For some reason, I have also been picturing the first episode opening with Davos starving on his rock. Don't know why -- I just think it would make a really great opening.

Same here. It would be nice for the opening shot to be a delirious Davos lying face down with the water splashing around him. But the first scene is definitely going to be the Others' assault on the Fist. They have to resolve that cliffhanger first.

Just to be clear, Lady Stoneheart would be an entirely different reveal since you don't really see what's become of Cat until much later when the BwB capture the Frey's and hang Merret. Showing a lifeless Cat getting revived by Beric (which is only talked about in retrospect by Thoros in the novels) is a completely different reveal. A simple shot of Cat's eyes suddenly opening would be much more effective as it would still provide a sense of mystery going into S4 as to what will become of her.

I think that the UnCat reveal will be as much of a yawn onscreen as it was on the page,and for the same reason -- we've already seen it done once with Beric -- doing it again with Cat just won't have the same impact as a season finale. Better to have UnCat show up as an episode closer some time in Season 4, when everyone's assumed she's been dead for awhile.

I like a lot of these ideas. I personally think the Season could end very well on the "mhysa" scene, so long as they manage to get the budget together for a suitably large crowd (CGI'd or not) -- could be quite epic, and finally gives some real ooomph to Dany's problematic storyline (at least until it bogs down again in Mereen).

I think that the UnCat reveal will be as much of a yawn onscreen as it was on the page,and for the same reason -- we've already seen it done once with Beric -- doing it again with Cat just won't have the same impact as a season finale. Better to have UnCat show up as an episode closer some time in Season 4, when everyone's assumed she's been dead for awhile.

Uncat was a "yawner?" Erm..I don't think so. Trust me when I say that most people thought that was very shocking. Unberic is actually completely necessary to get the right reaction for Uncat: that is to say, he sets up the resurrection magic so that Uncat doesn't come off as a Deus Ex Machina.

Archived