What really lies in the North?

LizardLion

• 2 weeks later...

Well GRRM said the cause of Winter would be magical, so Im guessing there's a giant snow machine blowing snow at westeros. hey, techonology can seem magical to some.

EDIT: curses, someone beat me to it!!

It's the twist no one will see coming - the free folk are fleeing from the Others, but the Others are also fleeing from something else!

Against Ice Dragons and Krakens and Giants the size of buildings !!!

No, but I really want to know more about the White Walkers... I guess, way up North, we'll find what is closest to what we can call WW cities and villages, maybe...

They're going to head north through heaps of snow, fight Others, and eventually reach what lies beyond the land of endless winter. They'll keep going north, eventually reaching a giant Wall made of black ice, where a group of nobles and lords, all in white, defend their realm, Easteros.

Funny idea! ^^

from a earlier topic i posted

"Of course, Iceland is relatively small. Beyond the Wall is considerably larger than Iceland—probably larger than Greenland. And the area closest to my Wall is densely forested, so in that sense it's more like Canada—Hudson's Bay or the Canadian forests just north of Michigan. And then as you get further and further north, it changes. You get into tundra and ice fields and it becomes more of an arctic environment. You have plains on one side and a very high range of mountains on the other. Of course, once again this is fantasy, so my mountains are more like the Himalayas. But, you can always play with these things in fantasy.

And what lies really north in my books—we haven't explored that yet, but we will in the last two books."

anyone know what snarks and grumpkins are?

I'm hoping Benjen is still alive and he's the Prologue for TWOW. That would be a good way to get us right up into the land of always winter.

I don't subscribe to the theory that Benjen is Cold Hands.

if he is in the prologue he is just going to die at the end of the chapter which would be a bit disappointing.

It's the twist no one will see coming - the free folk are fleeing from the Others, but the Others are also fleeing from something else!

ICE DRAGONS! And then we'll have a massive battle between Fire and Ice.

In the past, Ice was being held off by the wall and Fire - Valyria was destroyed. Now both will make a return, for a final, epic, showdown!

I like the idea that there's something more sinister up north, but it would echo too much other fantasy books - Raymond E Feist's The Riftwar Saga (the elves beneath the ice in the north of Kelewan) or Robin Hobb's The Golden Fool/Fool's Fate where there's a dragon trapped in the ice up north...

I'm sure George has something more surprising up his sleeve... :P

The northernmost point in our world is the North Pole. We have a very famous mythological figure that lives exclusively at the North Pole and only heads south during the heart of winter. A figure that comes only in the darkness (the night) and the cold (winter). A figure associated with a group of small, elvish acolytes (like the Children). A figure who dresses in white and red, the colors of a weirwood tree.

That's right, people: Santa Claus.

Look at GRRM. Look at him. Take a good long look and tell me with a straight face that GRRM does not look exactly like Santa Claus.

Therefore, if we want to know what lies in the Lands of Always Winter, if we want to know the Others' ultimate purpose, we need only look to the example of the infamous creature hailing from our world's version of the Lands-of-Always-Winter.

I think my work here is done.

GRRM made a statement saying that in tWoW we're going to find out what really lies in the north beyond the wall, as he plans to take us further north than ever before. So what are your predictions about what's up there?

I suspect we're going to run into an Ice Dragon. He obviously has those on his mind. It'd be funny to see Dani get her dragons in check, only to have them get their asses beaten by an ice dragon.

Also maybe there actually are Snarks up there?

Whatever is up there, it is horrifying. In his premonition dream, Bran cried out in fear when he saw what lives there. This was after he saw a dragon take flight in Asshai and did NOT gasp or show fear. If it's a dragon, it's a big-ass Ice Dragon, since regular dragons do not scare Bran!

Seriously I don't think there's anything more mysterious than The Others and the Children beyond the wall.

Same here, I guess this is what frightened Bran in his sleep.

Oh that would be way cool!

Same here, I guess this is what frightened Bran in his sleep.

eIf the Others and COTF were what scared Bran in his dream, I think he might have thought," Dang! They look just like the ones in my dream" when he saw them for real the first time. I would have hoped for some mention of recognition or familiarity.

Archived