[Book Spoilers] Should there be a prequel series?

No, there should be a prequel movie, unconnected to the TV series, telling the story leading up to Bob's rebellion, as written.

The good thing is such a production can remain comp0letely faithful to GRRM's written word because there's pretty much only sketch detail in the novels themselves so rather than figuring out what to exclude from adaptation its a matter of how to flesh out the information into a feature length movie.

The movie should end with the beginning of the rebellion, that way the movie avoids getting into the R+L=J (or not) speculation.

I'm not all that interested in a Robert's rebellion prequel, since it would suffer to much from prequelitis (we know almost everything that would happen to those characters). I'd like to see a prequel of far more back, so storylines can bring a lot of new stuff to the table and we can actually fear for people's survival. This instead of being like "oh, don't worry about him, his head is gonna be cut off 17 years later, so he'll be fine... for now."

I thought this might be an alternative if the TV series catches up with the books given that GRRM does devote a lot of time to writing these fine novels. If so what should it be on? I thought Roberts Rebellion would be the logical choice but until we know whether R+L=J that may not be wise. Of course we still have a vast range of sagas from the War of Dawn up to the Greyjoy Rebellion.

The most likely scenario is the show taking a six month to year long hiatus. I could see the showrunners wanting one by then. It's happened with quite a few of these shows -- the Sopranos, for example. It's not ideal, but I'd like it better than the show running ahead. Because I think massive divergence will be the only possible outcome at that point, and because I will stop watching until I read the books.

But that said, from a practical perspective, I don't think D&D would be interested in the workload associated with starting from scratch, etc. I'm not sure HBO would be interested. Seems insane, given the likely ratings, but I'm not sure it would take as well. Dunk and Egg similarly -- though that'd be easier to shoot than Robert's Rebellion. Single location for each of the stories.

Dunk and Egg. I love the three stories and GRRM is supposed to come out with a fourth over the next year or so (yeah, I know.....) I think learning more about the Blackfyre rebellion will help in understanding if YG (don't want to put a spoiler here) is for real. Dunk and Egg provides some background about that and about Bloodraven. When he is described in D&E you can automatically figure out who he is in DWD if you are looking for it.....

I sort of see D&E as a prequel, but a very early one. Robert's rebellion would be exciting too.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all hell expensive, I know, but this TV Show has seen success the likes of few others have in the recent past.

Of course there should be a prequel series. There was so much drama, so much epic fighting and excellent character storylines in the events based before the first book, that nobody would reall say no to watching it on screen.

- Ned Stark's bad-assery and friendship with the warrior Robert Baratheon.

- The making of Jaime 'Kingslayer' Lannister.

- Aerys Targaryen's madness - would make for excellent watching,

- Rhaegar Targaryen, the much hyped and romanticized warrior-poet prince who so many fans swoon over.

Well, there's much more to it, and I have to go sleep, but I'l just say that a prequel series would be amazing.

Archived