How the TV series affected your perception of the characters' physical appearance?

Yuri Targaryen

I read the books before I watched the series, but I didn't have a very clear mental image of most characters. I started reading when the first casting news on the TV series began floating around the net, so some characters (Ned, Bran) always looked like their actors to me. Others looked very different (Dany, Jon Snow, Cersei) but once I watched the series (after finishing the books) they got supplanted by their actors. That happened even where the actor is obviously different (Sallador Saan, Xaro... who will both be black for me now, no matter what the books say).

Only a few characters in the books gave me such a strong mental image that I kept it. That's Jorah (whom I picture pretty much like the Amoka painting of him), Margaery, Tommen, Myrcella... I guess that's it.

Most of the characters from the show are how I see them in the books, seeing as how I started reading after watching the first season. Funnily enough, I recently started rereading ACoK and found that I keep seeing Meera as Ellie Kendrick. It was kind of annoying at first, but I'm now used to it!

I think the biggest change would be that all the Starks are growing up.

Granted, they all started 3 years older than their book counterparts - even Dany - but the fact remains that three years later the Stark chilldren do look 3 years older, not the 12 month older that they should given the books.

By the end of the series, they wold all be adults.

If the show has eight seasons as it's planned Maisie and Isaac will be in their 20s then, definitely gonna be amusing when they book counterparts still are about half their age. One can only hope the actors don't look so "old" then. :D

To be honest, the only problem I had with Lena was Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

It took me awhile to see the mother of John Connor as a medieval Queen.

Yeah, me too. I loved Terminator: S.C.C. and only had seen Lena act on this show before. The make-up, wig and costume made her look different but it still took me some episodes to unsee her as Sarah Connor.

• 2 weeks later...

Marg is the only one who looks very, very different from my head cannon (though I prefer Natalie Dormer to my head cannon.) The other is Daario ... who for whatever reason is completely hideous in my head when I read the books. Show Daario is easier to look at, though he has the personality down pat. All in all ... I've liked the changes for the most part. The only change that I've always had trouble getting behind was Asha's name change in the tv show.

APPEARANCE:

I read the books between season 1 and 2, so for the most part I picture season 1 actors when I read the books. However, from season 2 onwards I, for the most part, have my own images.

There are some exceptions, though:

Season 1 actors I don't picture when I read:

Illyrio Mopatis

Jorah Mormont (they are burg good actors, but are just so different from what is described)

Season 2+ actors I do picture when I read:

The Dragonstone crew (Stannis, Melisandre and Davos)

Jaqen H'Ghar

Daario Naharis (because the book version is too ridiculous)

Craster

Minor characters (eg Kraznys, Rorge, Polliver etc)

Characters I consider to be miscast and/or horribly written on the show:

Margaery Tyrell (nothing like the character from the books)

Mance Rayder

Shae

Jon Snow (I don't mind Kit, I believe the writing alone lets him down)

WRITING:

Even though I saw season one first, the books are the basis for how I view all of the characters. There are only two characters so far where the show has influenced my opinion of their personality:

Robert Baratheon

Osha

Maybe it is just the way I am wired but there is no steady image in my head for most of the characters. Sometimes I will imagine the show actors and other times I will use Song of Ice and Fire artworks. I am talking about the more high quality artwork. I alternate between the ugly Tyrion and the show Tyrion quite often. Peter Dinklage is Tyrion but at the same time the book description takes over. I can't really construct composite versions of the characters, meaning I can't use art to imagine Tyrion but give him Dinklage's voice. That kind of thing doesn't work for me.

Archived