[Book Spoilers] The fate of Qarth

So, in a few other posts I have theorised about certain parallels between Volantis at the end of ADWD and the Fall of Constantinople.

But when I was reading about the Siege of Baghdad today I learnt that according to Christian legend, the last Caliph of Baghdad was walled up inside his treasure house. Which is a fate that befalls Xaro Xoan Daxos at the end of Valar Morghulis.

There are a few other interesing parallels: the Mongols seemed to have hatedcivilization (their initial hatred was toward the Chinese, and they expanded this prejudice to all people living in cities) and the Dothraki also hate/fear the Qartheen's magic.

Both cities are on important trade routes, though for different reasons: Qarth has similarities Constantinople in that they are both located on the western side of a strait that leads up to a small ocean, whilst Meereen is a similar location to Basra, Volantis is located a similar position to Marseilles, or perhaps the French Riviera, though it's more of a delta...

Anyway...

Theory

B&W know how the series will end, and I think they ended Xaro Xoan Daxos's life that way (inside a vault of his own riches at the end of season 2) because they don't think they will have time to dispose of him in season 6.

Prediction for books:

It is also fairly obvious that Daenerys will have some sort of showdown with Xaro Xoan Daxos in book 6 (due to the whole bloodied glove thing), and that she could well be heading east to Vaes Dothrak accompanied by that Dothraki Khalasar. So doesn't it seem likely that Daenerys, after visiting Vaes Dothrak, will rather than going backwards, will head south to Qarth, sack it like it's Baghdad in 1294, then catch a boat back to Meereen and meet up with Tyrion, Victarion, etc...

And that therefore Xaro Daxos's needlessly cruel fate (which i thought was quite out of character for ACOK Daenerys) is actually Xaro's intended fate in book 6 (or being rolled up in a carpet and trampled to death by horses.) since it is in character for post ADWD Daenerys?

So, in a few other posts I have theorised about certain parallels between Volantis at the end of ADWD and the Fall of Constantinople.

But when I was reading about the Siege of Baghdad today I learnt that according to Christian legend, the last Caliph of Baghdad was walled up inside his treasure house. Which is a fate that befalls Xaro Xoan Daxos at the end of Valar Morghulis.

There are a few other interesing parallels: the Mongols seemed to have hatedcivilization (their initial hatred was toward the Chinese, and they expanded this prejudice to all people living in cities) and the Dothraki also hate/fear the Qartheen's magic.

Both cities are on important trade routes, though for different reasons: Qarth has similarities Constantinople in that they are both located on the western side of a strait that leads up to a small ocean, whilst Meereen is a similar location to Basra, Volantis is located a similar position to Marseilles, or perhaps the French Riviera, though it's more of a delta...

Anyway...

Theory

B&W know how the series will end, and I think they ended Xaro Xoan Daxos's life that way (inside a vault of his own riches at the end of season 2) because they don't think they will have time to dispose of him in season 6.

Prediction for books:

It is also fairly obvious that Daenerys will have some sort of showdown with Xaro Xoan Daxos in book 6 (due to the whole bloodied glove thing), and that she could well be heading east to Vaes Dothrak accompanied by that Dothraki Khalasar. So doesn't it seem likely that Daenerys, after visiting Vaes Dothrak, will rather than going backwards, will head south to Qarth, sack it like it's Baghdad in 1294, then catch a boat back to Meereen and meet up with Tyrion, Victarion, etc...

And that therefore Xaro Daxos's needlessly cruel fate (which i thought was quite out of character for ACOK Daenerys) is actually Xaro's intended fate in book 6 (or being rolled up in a carpet and trampled to death by horses.) since it is in character for post ADWD Daenerys?

I know George knows his history well , best I can tell his take on Qarth is what you see in the book, and it will never be visited again.

I think David and Dan are finished with it too, I still think they were so occupied with Westeros , S2 , and didn't know what to do about Qarth that it's was a story they didn't have time reformulate for the audience of a premium channel network with what seems a fixed format of 10 episodes.

I don't know , my guess we won't see XXD again....

As for what happens in the East after the end of ADwD , I can't even guess. I am thinking since she has Drogon and has a connection with the Dothraki like not one else ever before.... Khal Jhaqo may help her break the siege at Meereen , but I don't think he will commit his khalasar to her taking back Westeros.

Maybe 'the must go East to go West' will indeed take her more East , I don't know.

George has set up a the mother of all snarls of power brokering... with the other plot... the Lord of Light ... The Great Other... trumping all the puny human stuff!

Archived