Greyscale returns to Westeros!

David C. Hunter

I don't think grey scale will become an issue beyond Jon Connington having it. I never thought the stone dragon could refer to Aegon afflicted with grey scale -- that would be an interesting development. But I highly doubt there will be a grey scale pandemic.

Targaryen's are not immune to anything.

But if Dany thinks that they are and later discovers rumours that he has been infected or was and had a limb removed. Might she not assume that he was a meer pretender?

But if Dany thinks that they are and later discovers rumours that he has been infected or was and had a limb removed. Might she not assume that he was a meer pretender?

Why would Dany believe Targaryen's are immune to grey scale or other diseases? Has she ever said/thought that?

Why would Dany believe Targaryen's are immune to grey scale or other diseases? Has she ever said/thought that?

Yes, when the red flux is affecting those people outside the city she goes out to distribute the food and tells them that those with dragonblood can't get sick and that shes never been sick in her life. Some people actually believe that her leaking blood at the end of ADWD is actually the red flux and not her womb quickening again; but I call bull. I want to see bastard bearded children with silver hair running around bear island. ;)

Yes, when the red flux is affecting those people outside the city she goes out to distribute the food and tells them that those with dragonblood can't get sick and that shes never been sick in her life. Some people actually believe that her leaking blood at the end of ADWD is actually the red flux and not her womb quickening again; but I call bull. I want to see bastard bearded children with silver hair running around bear island. ;)

LOL. I'd prefer dead Dany, Victarion brings the other 2 dragons back to Westeros only to have them warged/skinchanged by Bloodraven and Bran who wreak havoc upon anyone and everyone.

The stone dragon could be the greyscale pandemic as the pale mare was the red flux pandemic.

I'm sure a greyscale plague outbreak would be much worse than a red flux outbreak...like comparing a dragon to a horse

Well, Robert did kill Rhaegar and a stags not so far from a horse...

I too think it has a supernatural element to it, there are 3 different forms of the same disease, which if it were a normal type doesn't make much sense to me?, surely it would either be highly infectious and mortal or not?.

• 2 months later...

@ Darth Arya. It doesn't necessarily have to be supernatural. chicken pox and shingles are basically the same disease. chicken pox is the child version and shingles is the much more dangerous adult version. there were also two versions of the Black Plauge. Bubonic plauge was the one that put sores all over peoples' bodies and pneumonic plague directly attacked the lungs but didn't leave any scars. it was possible to survive bubonic plauge but pneumonic plague was much more lethal.

I'm not a doctor so please correct me if I'm wrong

JC: Very likely to cause an outbreak. The form he has is highly contagious. I do think there will be issues with it. Though without the 5 year gap, I dunno how big the outbreak they will be.

Shireen: Doubtful. The only person who sees her as dangerous is from a culture that kills infected. Generally, killing infected people makes it hard to judge long-term effects.

Tyrion: I don't think he actually got touched. If I understood right, it should have shown up by now.

The disease: From my understanding, adult and children get the same thing. The difference is that children are capable of surviving it. If they do, they are immune from then on.

I'm actually worried that Val might be right about Shireen. It does seem a bit "unscientific" for Val to just assume Shireen has the greyscale still when the wildlings always kill all children with greyscale even if they aren't being contagious. But the wildlings and Val are often shown to be very knowledgeable about things that the rest of Westeros has forgotten about, so she might be telling the truth.

I'm actually worried that Val might be right about Shireen. It does seem a bit "unscientific" for Val to just assume Shireen has the greyscale still when the wildlings always kill all children with greyscale even if they aren't being contagious. But the wildlings and Val are often shown to be very knowledgeable about things that the rest of Westeros has forgotten about, so she might be telling the truth.

I know there you used to be outbreaks of typhoid in the US. What was eventually figured out that people could suffer the disease amd survive it and get better to the point where they had no outward symptons yet still have the disease in their system incubating and still be capable of spreading it to others. Hence the origon of the term typhoid Mary. This is based on science. Vallas wisdom is based on the words of a wood witch or wildling custom. I really do not know what this is worth. Science tells us this is not impossible.

Is Greyscale even THAT common in Westros, as compared to redspots (what I imagine is the chickenpox of Westros)

Shireen may have been a Westrosi who caught greyscale, but...Dragonstone, besides being an island, is described as having a large port. She could have contacted it from a person from...well, just about anywhere else. And we all know Jon Connington already had it upon his return to Westros, and Tyrion probably does as well, but as he was warned, it is probably going to affect him from the inside out, the point being...neither contracted it on Westros.

I'm suprised by how many people want to write Val's feelings about Shireen off as wildling susperstion. The Free Folk seem to have alot of wisdom. If Greyscale isn't THAT common, or mortal in children, why would the wildings just start killing children with it? Val didn't seem suprised Shireen survived the greyscale itself, but was very shocked she would be allowed the chance to survive it. Because Shireen was infected in a damp climate (Dragonstone) her scars took the appearance of stone....BUT, what if a child infected north of the wall's scars were more icelike, frostburn looking...perhaps those who were scarred by greyscale, and those who die from it rise as Others..instead of wights? A little...ok a lot crackpotish...but a thought I've tossed around in my head several times....

If Aegon is the real deal, he won't be affected since he's a Targaryen. If I remember correctly they can't catch diseases.

King Daeron the Good and a few other Targaryens died in the Great Spring Sickness and GRRM has said they can. Daenarys remembering never being sick is either from luck or an unreliable narrarator. Her brother probably told her they never got sick just as he said that Westerosi smallfolk sew dragon banners.

King Daeron the Good and a few other Targaryens died in the Great Spring Sickness and GRRM has said they can. Daenarys remembering never being sick is either from luck or an unreliable narrarator. Her brother probably told her they never got sick just as he said that Westerosi smallfolk sew dragon banners.

I'd say that most targs have a stronger immune system then most people and that may be the reason why they believe that, possibly it's a trait that goes with the eyes and hair.

I know there you used to be outbreaks of typhoid in the US. What was eventually figured out that people could suffer the disease amd survive it and get better to the point where they had no outward symptons yet still have the disease in their system incubating and still be capable of spreading it to others. Hence the origon of the term typhoid Mary. This is based on science. Vallas wisdom is based on the words of a wood witch or wildling custom. I really do not know what this is worth. Science tells us this is not impossible.

I know it's not impossible for a person to be a carrier of a contagious disease and not exhibit any symptoms themselves. When I said "unscientific", I meant that Val wasn't using evidence from well-designed "experiments" or "observations" when telling Jon about the greyscale (I know that scientific methods aren't very well advanced in Westerosi times, but the maesters South of the wall seem to do some experiments to figure out their knowledge). If the wildlings have been killing all children with greyscale for a long time - what proof do they have that all those children were harmful or contagious in the first place?

Archived