Did Robert really love Lyanna?

Dragon-Wolf

I fail to see how not truly knowing Lyanna is a point against love. That is how marriages are in Westeros. People usually didn't know their spouses until after marriage. It was not expected of them. Robert loved Lyanna. One can argue how much but Robert loved her. He went to see her in crypts and thought of her on his deathbed as well.

When you don't know someone, if you claim to love them, you just love what you think they are

It's like idolizing someone

I think he loved more the idea of Lyanna than Lyanna herself.

He made himself an illusion of the perfect woman and believed Lyanna was like that, but I think it had little to do with the actual persona of her.

Probably something like this. Its a common enough theme in literature; more or less the same thing the happens in the Great Gatsby. I think lust was a big a factor as well.

Robert is an confused character in my mind he just slept around with women beacause he may just seek somewhat an emotional connection to a woman and he sleeps with women to somewhat found his soulmate. He found this in Lyanna and loved her very much which reminded me of my own relationship with my girlfriend. I mean a lot of women and men just hook up because they want a one night stand but Robert sounds like he was just lonly and he may have been depressed about Lyanna dying I still think he would stop cheating and would have been faithful he sounds like he would go hell and back for Lyanna

Robert is an confused character in my mind he just slept around with women beacause he may just seek somewhat an emotional connection to a woman and he sleeps with women to somewhat found his soulmate. He found this in Lyanna and loved her very much which reminded me of my own relationship with my girlfriend. I mean a lot of women and men just hook up because they want a one night stand but Robert sounds like he was just lonly and he may have been depressed about Lyanna dying I still think he would stop cheating and would have been faithful he sounds like he would go hell and back for Lyanna

He didn't even know her

without a doubt he loved her, more than anything. after rhaegs gave lyanna the rose after the tourney, robert knew he could never truly have her. his pride was crushed, and despite being betrothed, he knew she would never look at him or feel for him the way she looked and felt about rhaegs that moment.

We know enough about Robert even thru his best friend to know he loved her beauty not her. He and Ned grew up together which means he probably knew Lyanna for a while but still slept around and fathered bastards wherever he went I'm as unconvinced of his love for Lyanna as I am of Daemon Blackfyre for Daenerys.its just men measuring their dicks, he needed to prove to himself that Rhaegar wasn't better than him by being the better warrior but I guess Jon should have tought him there is more to being a man than that.

On this board people have it in for Robert Baratheon. They hate the whoring, the drinking, the bastard children yet love characters like Jaime: pushes a child out a window and Sandor: murders innocent butcher's boy.

Robert Baratheon was the ultimate coward. Not physically, because he has all the advantages then with his size, strength, position and wealth. But he never stood up for anything emotionally in his life, folded under the slightest emotional pressure every time, never struggled or fought for anything, never took real responsibiity for anything, blamed all his misfortunSs screwups on others, and mistreated everyone around him. Despite the amazing gifts he was born with.

Whats to like? A giant drunken fratboy bully with ultimate power? Meh.

Jaime started like that. But he's been struggling and starting to take responsibility and to think how his words and deeds affect others. So there's something in there to like, to respect, to watch grow.

dandor was always like the new Jaime, in a slightly different way. He'd been brutalised and tortured and his soul broken, but he held to a core of truth and honesty in his own way, even though it was not an easy one to see, and we didn't get to see it for a while. There was struggle and pain and defiance against cruelty of the world in there. Just because it was hidden behind the figure of a brutal killer doesn't make it any less so. And there was that brutal honesty, which no one else showed, not even Ned Stark. A man so brutally pure that even the sickest psycopath in Westeros, with ultimate power, was too afraid of him to try to get him to do things that were 'wrong'. Kill a butcher's boy who laid hands on a prince? No problem. Killing is what knights do, even though he refuses to be knighted, its just the way of the world - and the peasant laid hands on the prince - thats a socially legit reason to kill. Beat an innocent young noblewoman? Even Joffrey shied away from ordering him to do that.

Something thats bothering me,

Robert leads us to beleive that Lyanna was his one true love and that his marriage was doomed to fail from the beggining, we also know he called Cersei "Lyanna" on his wedding night.

I feel that he wouldn't have known Lyanna all that well, and Lyanna also had reservations about marrying Robert as he "would never stick to one bed"

Sixteen Bastard's later we can be pretty sure that Lyanna had Robert summed up from early on and that he wouldn't have stayed faithfull to any woman.

I guess the question I am asking is did Robert really love Lyanna? or had he just become obsessed with the fact that Rhaegar stole her from him?

I think Robert had put Lyanna on an unrealistic pedestal, he admits to Ned in GOT that he cant even remember what she looked like and that he killed Rhaegar as he does again and again each night in his sleep but Rhaegar still won. (in my opinion won Lyanna'a affections).

Anyway feel free to chime in Guys and Girls. I would love to hear some of you opinions on this.

It think its entirely possible thet Robert felt love for Lyanna, but it was probably the love of the moment and not longer kind of commitment to her.

Robert idolised her. He did not know her well enough to lover her. She later on became an excuse for why his life had turned out so badly. If he had just married her then things would be different.

I do think on the surface, he would have been highly attracted to her. Lyanna was beautiful and had a wild side. For instance, Robert was always trying to get Cersei to go hunting and I bet he imagines Lyanna would have gone with him. He probably sees Lyanna as the type of girl to encourage him to fight and be a real tomboy encouraging him from the sidelines or giving him tips. Considering how Arya is like, I am not sure he is too far off either.

Robert was in love with the picture of Lyanna he had in his mind. A picture which was quite far off of the true Lyanna.

If he had married Lyanna he would have lost interest in her quite quickly, just like he lost interest in the other women that he met and bedded.

Robert Baratheon was the ultimate coward. Not physically, because he has all the advantages then with his size, strength, position and wealth. But he never stood up for anything emotionally in his life, folded under the slightest emotional pressure every time, never struggled or fought for anything, never took real responsibiity for anything, blamed all his misfortunSs screwups on others, and mistreated everyone around him. Despite the amazing gifts he was born with.

Whats to like? A giant drunken fratboy bully with ultimate power? Meh.

Jaime started like that. But he's been struggling and starting to take responsibility and to think how his words and deeds affect others. So there's something in there to like, to respect, to watch grow.

dandor was always like the new Jaime, in a slightly different way. He'd been brutalised and tortured and his soul broken, but he held to a core of truth and honesty in his own way, even though it was not an easy one to see, and we didn't get to see it for a while. There was struggle and pain and defiance against cruelty of the world in there. Just because it was hidden behind the figure of a brutal killer doesn't make it any less so. And there was that brutal honesty, which no one else showed, not even Ned Stark. A man so brutally pure that even the sickest psycopath in Westeros, with ultimate power, was too afraid of him to try to get him to do things that were 'wrong'. Kill a butcher's boy who laid hands on a prince? No problem. Killing is what knights do, even though he refuses to be knighted, its just the way of the world - and the peasant laid hands on the prince - thats a socially legit reason to kill. Beat an innocent young noblewoman? Even Joffrey shied away from ordering him to do that.

I agree

Even Cersei admits Robert was the biggest coward

Archived