So Spake Martin collection broken down by topic?

Free Northman

Hi there.

A while ago a google search had me stumble upon a version of the So Spake Martin collection that is categorized according to topic. This was immensely helpful for researching Martin's comments.

However, I cannot seem to find this resource anymore. When I go to the Citadel's site, all I find under So Spake Martin is a categorisation according to:

Interviews

Correspondence with Fans

Book Signings

etc.

Nowhere can I see the breakdown per topic of discussion.

Please help.

Hrm. And you found this per-topic break down at Westeros.org? We don't really use much in the way of tagging...

OK. I thought it was on Westeros. But maybe it was on another site then.

I must say, while it would obviously be a huge undertaking to classify the So Spake Martin collection per topic, its value would be immense.

I recall the the Wotmania site doing something similar for the Wheel of Time, which was eventually transferred to the 13th depository when Wotmania closed.

For example, I'm currently in a discussion on the How did the Seasons get so Screwed Up thread. And I was looking for Martin's exact quote where he states that the seasons have a magical explanation, not a scientific one, but of course it is inconceivable to begin a search through every So Spake Martin entry since the 1990's to find the one comment I'm looking for.

A topic listing with references to the specific Martin quotes under it would be incredibly valuable. I'll go and search for the site where I saw it, and let you know. Because I definintely found one. I just don't know how complete it was.

Hrm. And you found this per-topic break down at Westeros.org? We don't really use much in the way of tagging...

Depending on how long ago this was, the break-down might have been 'on Westeros' for a very loose definition thereof. I was writing an 'index a site by keywords' tool for a friend's site that would analyze a series of articles and build a keyword index. As a test-case, I pointed it at the SSM archives, since that provided a large blob of data conveniently located on the same machine.

The testbed output was in my user directory on the machine, so could've been reached via a Westeros.org user directory URL; at the time, all user accounts on Noderunner had their public_html directory accessible from all domains, so would show up via Noderunner.net, Blackdawn.org, Riverdark.net, Westeros.org, Nausicaa.net and so on. An outdated and un-updated copy sat there for several years before I cleaned out a lot of the Random Outdated Stuff in my home directory.

If that *was* what was found, I had no idea the testbed directory had been found and indexed, since I hadn't recalled linking to the page from anywhere. Or someone else might've also done an actual indexing project elsewhere, of course. :)

Archived