Why would Renly want Margaery to look like Lyanna?

7swans

Please excuse me if this subject has been discussed before. I did do a search but couldn't find any mention.

In Chapter 27 of GOT Ned said that Renly had shown him a portrait of Margaery and had said that several people had remarked how much she looked like Lyanna. When Ned said she didn't bear any resemblance at all, Renly had appeared very disappointed. Ned said he thought this a very odd occurrence.

Was this brought up again later in any of the books?

What could Renly's motive be? Did he think that Margaery might be an unknown baby of Lyanna's that had been raised by the Tyrells? What was he hoping to stir up if Ned had agreed that there was a resemblance? Was he hoping that Robert would make a scene, have a heart attack, go nuts when he met her?

I highly doubt that. I don't know where you would get such an idea like that.

I think he was being sarcastic.

Renly wants Margaery to look like Lyanna so Robert will be more likely to fall for her and cast aside Cersei to increase the Tyrell's power and leading to an increase in Renly's power.

I agree that Renly originally thought to hook Margaery up with Robert. I'm pretty sure that's explicitly explained at some point. The question I have is how did he plan to accomplish this? Renly didn't have Stannis' knowledge and suspicions about Cersei's incest. I'm pretty sure the only way Robert could have gotten married again is if Cersei was dead.

I agree that Renly originally thought to hook Margaery up with Robert. I'm pretty sure that's explicitly explained at some point. The question I have is how did he plan to accomplish this? Renly didn't have Stannis' knowledge and suspicions about Cersei's incest. I'm pretty sure the only way Robert could have gotten married again is if Cersei was dead.

Renly knew about the incest.

Renly knew about the incest.

Well he might have done, but at his parley in ACoK he said not, and also that he didn't believe it.

The Robert/Margaery plot was presumably about getting Cersei put aside and thus reducing the power of the Lannisters. He seemed to be willing for Joffrey to remain the heir in the short term at least.

And can't Kings divorce and marry anyone they wish to?

I wouldn't think so. Marriages join houses. Divorces would throw all the lines of succession out of whack. Property, dowries, titles, treaties and all that, too. Let's say at the time Joffrey was betrothed to a Stark, Tommen to a Martell, and Myrcella to a Greyjoy. And Robert throws Cersei aside to marry a Tyrell? The Crown owes the Lannisters millions. Jaime's a member of the Kingsguard. No, I'd say a divorce, even in one of the mid-level houses, would start a war quicker than kidnapping a dwarf.

Yes, Cersei was going to be killed, and so would her children- or at least Tommen and Joffrey. I don't know why so many people have a hard time figuring it out.

Shows you what kind of person Renly is, I suppose.

Well maybe, but Varys said that Renly's plan was only to "put Cersei aside".

The Targargens being somewhat unusual (polygamy, incest) precedents in Westeros are likely to be thin, but there are plenty of RL examples of kings doing this. Generally any children from the marriage remained in the succession. The main issue was indeed generally the reaction of the rejected spouse's family and what, if anything, needed to be done to placate them.

Personally I doubt Tywin would be any less pissed by Cersei and all her children being executed then he would be at Cersei being put aside, with Joff remaining the heir. In both cases he is likely to consider war. I imagine that Renly calculated that, with the Storm Lords and Margaery's family backing Robert up front, Tywin would be unable to gain enough support from the other Great Houses to give him any chance of a successful rebellion.

As for Jaime, if Renly was smart he would suggest that as ex Queen, Cersei was still important enough to have one of the KG made her permanent protector, with Jaime being the obvious choice. Or maybe just boot Jaime out of the KG entirely as a sop to Tywin?

Hm, I was under the impression that Renly and a few others on the small council knew.

I found it ironic that throught book 1 the reader is held in suspense, led to hope (ultimately in vain) that Ned survives and perseveres in revealing Cersei's secret to the court and kingdom, etc etc. You know, the ending you'd expect from books before reading ASOIF. Instead obviously Ned meets his sad fate and the secret is preserved - oh wait. It turns out many people knew and didn't care except so far as to how it would serve their ends.

Archived