Syrio Forel, dancing master, mistake maker

Mulled Wino

And how many other Stark retainers were not killed? Outright non combatants such as Varyon Poole and Septa Mordane didn't survive.

Im not following.....

Im aware of that, but unsure of what it has to do with the current convo. These were Lannisters, not the wildly outnumbered Stark contingent.

My point is that the Lannisters were killing everyone. So even if Syrio had just stepped aside and let them take Arya they would almost certainly have killed him anyway. I entirely agree that once he fought back Trant was never going to let him live.

And how many other Stark retainers were not killed? Outright non combatants such as Varyon Poole and Septa Mordane didn't survive.

Exactly. They aren't going to keep Syrio alive for whatever reasons considering they killed a completely defenseless Septa. Sansa saw the septa's head, but who's to say that the dancing master's head wasn't up on the wall as well? Cersei and Trant never spoke of the septa's death either.

Masamune: you're being ridiculous. You claim you don't understand why people come to some conclusions when there isn't a shred of proof, I provide some of those shreds of proof that make people come to that conclusion and all you can do is plug your ears and shout "LALALA I CANT HEAR YOU", metaphorically speaking.

Forgive me for not bowing to your superior knowledge. It sounds like you're not used to dealing with people who disagree with your opinion. But when I can only see what is circumstantial evidence, at best, I'm not going to back down.

The defense that because everything is possible, then we can toss away any sort of logical thinking, or deduction based on the elements we have is so out there that I will ignore you before you start spouting stuff about how pigs fly in ASOIAF because we were not shown that they do not.

This is a series where Rhaegar's son, who we assumed for five books had his head caved in by Gregor Clegane, has now seemingly returned from the dead (so to speak), yet you're saying it's a total stretch for Syrio to have survived against Meryn Trant - when there is NO evidence whatsoever that he was killed... like, at all? The burden of proof is squarely with you my friend and you haven't got a leg to stand on at the present moment.

My point is that the Lannisters were killing everyone. So even if Syrio had just stepped aside and let them take Arya they would almost certainly have killed him anyway. I entirely agree that once he fought back Trant was never going to let him live.

Gotcha and you are soooooo right.

Plus, a substantial number of people don't even think that's Aegon. There's no reason for there to be "evidence" that Syrio was killed - he was trying to give Arya a chance to get away, she got away, therefore, she wasn't there to see him die. He's not important enough that the reader needs to see him die...

When asked about whether or not Syrio is alive GRRM said that when he was last seen it was in a hopeless situation, and readers should draw their own conclusions. He also pointed out that Syrio is not immortal.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/Is_Syrio_dead/

Honestly, I think you should live with the 0.99 chance that he is dead, and the 0.999 chance that he won't have any future effect on the plot. He was just a tool to develop Arya's character.

When asked about whether or not Syrio is alive GRRM said that when he was last seen it was in a hopeless situation, and readers should draw their own conclusions. He also pointed out that Syrio is not immortal.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/Is_Syrio_dead/

Honestly, I think you should live with the 0.99 chance that he is dead, and the 0.999 chance that he won't have any future effect on the plot. He was just a tool to develop Arya's character.

If GrrM was to start bringing minor characters like Syrio back, his credibility would implode. Thankfully, he's not about to do anything like that.

Benjen Stark is totally different. He's been missing, rather than about to be killed by a Kingsguard member while defending himself only with a wooden sword, and he's Ned Stark's brother, Jon Snow's uncle, and probably knows the truth about Jon's parentage. Everyone who reads the book knows that one day we'll find out what happened to him and/or see him again... it's an obvious dangling thread. There's nothing about the circumstances in which Syrio died that suggests any need for the subject to be re-visited, except maybe with a sentence or two here and there when Arya remembers things he taught her.

Benjen Stark. Bam.

Benjen Stark was written out because he knows of the major plottwist Martin takes 6+ books to write about, namely R+L=J. If Benjen stuck around long enough to tell Jon this Martin would've spoiled a major part of the ASOFAI storyline. Besides, what would Benjen have done if his brother was excecuted? And wouldn't the NW elect Benjen as LC instead of Jon?

Benjen creats all kinds of problems and has been written out for his convinience.

Syrio serves little to no purpose to the plot. Easy to kill him off.

U cant put forth the supposition that Syrio is dead because there is no proof he is a live. Proof cuts both ways. What do we actually know?

Sure I can. The last time we saw Syrio he was in a fight for his life, he was laying his life on the line for Arya to escape. I'm not the one suggesting something out of the ordinary, the Syrio is alive people are the ones that are claiming that he magically got way from Trant and magically was in two places at one time. So they need to prove it or it's just more senseless, baseless nonsense.

I find it hilarious that people think that with the Lannister's killing every Stark supporter in the city, that they would for some reason take Syrio to the Black Cells. What the hell reason would they have to do that? Syrio was not only a Stark supporter but he engaged them in direct combat. Why wouldn't they kill him like they did everyone else? Why wouldn't they kill him? What reason do the Lannisters have to keep Syrio alive? IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!

Just because they are both from Bravos absolutely means they are the same person, there aren't alot of people from there or anything.

He asked, I answered. Don't be cranky because you're wrong. One day (in the very, very distant future) when a new book is released and you find out that Syrio is alive, think back to this post and realize your ignorance.

Face it, there's no proof either way so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He asked, I answered. Don't be cranky because you're wrong. One day (in the very, very distant future) when a new book is released and you find out that Syrio is alive, think back to this post and realize your ignorance.

Face it, there's no proof either way so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

This is pretty darn ridiculous. I'm not so sure you understand what ignorance means.

This is a forum to discuss our theories and thoughts about ASOIAF. We base these theories on explicit and implicit evidence based in text and based on the author's own words. It stands to reason that more than a few fan theories are going to be debunked. If we all knew exactly what was going to happen, who will end up alive or dead, who will marry whom and who will do blah blah blah, then there would be no freaking point in Martin finishing the books. I think most of us are probably mature enough to have a good laugh if our theories turn out wrong. But it's pretty ridiculous to tell other posters when they are wrong when there is no evidence for Syrio still being alive and especially when the author has pretty clear stated that Syrio is not immortal or super ninja. I mean, are you going to come back to this post in ten years and say "Haha, just found out Syrio was actually dead. Sorry for calling you ignorant." ?

This is pretty darn ridiculous. I'm not so sure you understand what ignorance means.

This is a forum to discuss our theories and thoughts about ASOIAF. We base these theories on explicit and implicit evidence based in text and based on the author's own words. It stands to reason that more than a few fan theories are going to be debunked. If we all knew exactly what was going to happen, who will end up alive or dead, who will marry whom and who will do blah blah blah, then there would be no freaking point in Martin finishing the books. I think most of us are probably mature enough to have a good laugh if our theories turn out wrong. But it's pretty ridiculous to tell other posters when they are wrong when there is no evidence for Syrio still being alive and especially when the author has pretty clear stated that Syrio is not immortal or super ninja. I mean, are you going to come back to this post in ten years and say "Haha, just found out Syrio was actually dead. Sorry for calling you ignorant." ?

I'm sorry, do you know what sarcasm or irony are?

Oh, well that proves it then. From now on when I want to know the truth I'll just look to your posts and know that they're the word and the light.

BTW I lol'd at your assertion that "When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east" is something my grandmother (actually it's a very popular saying 'round my hometown)". That's just hilarious.

Archived