Did the show subconsciously or otherwise influence your opinion/project itself onto the books for you?

StannisBamfatheon

It kinda makes you wonder how book Tyrion is always such a hit with the ladies. I guess most of them are prostitutes, but still. He lusts after Septa Lemore whose supposed to be an older but very attractive woman and it's like....come on dude you're a drawf without a nose and an enormous gash across your face. Maybe she's a little out of your league?

Well, money and power are potent aphrodisiacs.

Peter Dinklage's influence makes it annoyingly difficult to reconcile show-Tyrion with book-Tyrion, who is so thoroughly defined by his looks.

I didn't think that I would like Shae in the show but she's really grown on me. I really like the changes they made to her.

There, fixed that for you. ;)

Kitttyyyyyyyyy!!! *shakes fest*

Jk. That totes answers my question. In the words of the hound "it's not hunting if you pay for it." Those poor girls though....having to have a romp in the hay with Tyrion, specially ADWD Tyrion whose so spiteful and bitter.

Kitttyyyyyyyyy!!! *shakes fest*

Jk. That totes answers my question. In the words of the hound "it's not hunting if you pay for it." Those poor girls though....having to have a romp in the hay with Tyrion, specially ADWD Tyrion whose so spiteful and bitter.

There's a slave in Volantis who probably has some thoughts on this. And glad to help.

This reminds me, we need a shaking fist emoticon.

Yeah, Dinklage is doing a great job of acting but Tyrion in the show is soooo boring compared to the books. I like the ruthless, vindictive, insecure, self-pity Tyrion much better. He's much more complex whereas on the show he's more of a straight up good guy.

I don't even know what to say about Dany. For the most part, I think the actors are doing an amazing job but she's one of the few exceptions. Combine her acting with the S2 storyline and it's awful. They turned her in to a real brat this season. I thought the regressed her character, same as Jon.

I think Tyrion's appearance is pretty important in the books too, so while Dinklage is great for the role on tv, it must be weird to see him as the book character.

I'm pretty bad at detecting poor acting. I thought Emilia was ok in season 1 and don't want to comment for this season given the writing left a bit to be desired.

Its the show's version of Jon that makes me a sad panda though. I don't know why, because for me book Jon both looks, speaks and acts totally differently to the tv version, so I should just be able to let it go and accept them as different characters.

I've pretty much adopted Isaac as Bran though! I don't know how good an actor he is, but he comes across as much more aristocratic and intelligent than Robb and Jon. I buy Issac as the son of a lord, but not those two.

There's a slave in Volantis who probably has some thoughts on this. And glad to help.

This reminds me, we need a shaking fist emoticon.

Let's write our local senator!

And K3 are there any threads(new or old) that address Tyrion at large, I've always been kind of ambivalent about him but there seems to be a significant amount of vitriol. Or maybe you can just answer for me me wise one, is it just the whoring or what that irks people?

I think Tyrion's appearance is pretty important in the books too, so while Dinklage is great for the role on tv, it must be weird to see him as the book character.

I'm pretty bad at detecting poor acting. I thought Emilia was ok in season 1 and don't want to comment for this season given the writing left a bit to be desired.

Its the show's version of Jon that makes me a sad panda though. I don't know why, because for me book Jon both looks, speaks and acts totally differently to the tv version, so I should just be able to let it go and accept them as different characters.

I've pretty much adopted Isaac as Bran though! I don't know how good an actor he is, but he comes across as much more aristocratic and intelligent than Robb and Jon. I buy Issac as the son of a lord, but not those two.

Robb is almost a completely different person and Jon, the show seems to have completely regressed his character.

Issac is amazing as Bran. He's one of the few actors that has become the character for me. It really added to my enjoyment of reading Bran chapters.

And K3 are there any threads(new or old) that address Tyrion at large, I've always been kind of ambivalent about him but there seems to be a significant amount of vitriol. Or maybe you can just answer for me me wise one, is it just the whoring or what that irks people?

I'll PM you.

Jon is a petulant brat in the show. In the books he's an old head on much younger shoulders, albeit with a slightly scary temper. I buy book-Jon commanding respect as LC; show-Jon has a LOT of growing up to do next season.

Try this one.

I cannot think of the first 2 books without picturing the actors that portray. So I will be waiting to see the new added cast - I'm good with whoever they pick. I always see the face of my daughter when it comes to Lyanna Stark.

I shotgunned S1 about a week before S2 premiered, then picked up the books. I read the first 3 in a week, and the last two over the rest of the second season. So in my head, the main characters all look like the actors for now. I don't hate Tywin as much as I might have thanks to Charles Dance, and show!Stannis made the character more intriguing to me as well. Watching the show first mitigated some of the ick factor for a few things, like the characters' ages and the Dany & Khal relationship. Had the latter been presented on the show as it was in the books, I would've had a much harder time getting into the show. The HBO version is disturbing enough, without the other questions the book version raises in my particular head.

I think the show does an excellent job of keeping the story compelling and accessible to a wider audience, and moving at a satisfying pace. I'm not really a fan of fantasy (especially medieval fantasy) or books that are epic for the sake of being epic. I probably would've gotten too frustrated with the books had I not been exposed to the meat of the story ahead of time. So far, the only change that's bummed me out was the Jon/Ygritte/Qhorin revision; it seemed both more reasonable and more badass in the book.

I discovered Star Trek. :D

Just finished the fourth movie.

hah very good, live long and prosper friend.

And I'm going through the monster inside me now but it's a doozy, every post is a wall-o-text, Tyrion brings out some strong opinions and meaty analysis. It's good stuff. K3 messaged me though and said people in the thread we're defending Tyrion's treatment of sex workers/prostitutes which seems pretty unfathomable. Just don't understand that one. I also don't like the way he treats Sansa but that's just the stark fanboy in me and the uncomfortability of their arranged marriage.

aaaaaaawhooops. I'm derailing my own thread.

Actually the Show kind of ruined the Wall for me, if you think about it. I mean the height is just enormously overkill. When even GRRM admits this fact it's indisputable.

Just thinking of Mance vs Wall in ASOS, and you look at the show and how freaking far it's down to the ground where the trees look like ANTS. How the hell will the watchers have a shred of chance of hitting ANY target that they actually aim for and make it believable? In the siege, they aim for the giants and kill them. They launch barrels down on them and hit the ram right on target. It's just no way to make it believable with how huge they made the Wall. They should have said "screw it. Even GRRM admits having made it way too big. Let's make it slightly smaller." I mean, 300 feet would still be INCREDIBLY large, but make it believable for arrows etc to hit. Although it would take some immensity and awe from the Wall...

You realize 300 feet is roughly as high as a 30 story building, right? I have to look at the wall in game of thrones again but I don't think it looked taller than that.

Jon is a petulant brat in the show. In the books he's an old head on much younger shoulders, albeit with a slightly scary temper. I buy book-Jon commanding respect as LC; show-Jon has a LOT of growing up to do next season.

Yes.

I mean the old head on younger shoulders was pretty much how we were introduced to Jon in the books, in Bran's first POV, and it never came across. Perhaps I suppose, because Jon got aged up. And he wasn't a petulant brat at all in book 2 either.

I think that is a great description of Jon. I liked him from the first moment I met him. Jon in the show, I can not figure out how that guy should be LC.

I also got started on ASOIAF through the show. My only gripe with the show is the casting of Sean Bean. He did do a great job as Ned, but he's also a billboard of a spoiler. I felt like Rob Corddry in the movie Hot Tub Time Machine. Always wondering when the bellhop would lose his arm. Somebody needs to make Sean Bean the hero, or one of the hero's in his next role.

Here is a hysterically funny video proving my point about Sean Bean

It's his death reel...

Archived