Why are the books taken so seriously?

windwaker

I see people getting into wars and fights and arguments all the time based on whose character is better or worse. I honestly find it rather pathetic because it's not like your physical, mental or financial well being is at stake because of a fictional book series. It's just fiction--and that's what it is.
The subject is fiction, the interpretation is all about the posters. What is mostly discussed with ASOIAF as theme is really conflicting worldviews. It's a worthy subject of discussion.

If your physical, mental or financial well being was at stake, one must suggest that you would have something more important to do than to argue with strangers on internet forums.

Which is really the most important point: it's an internet forum; calling whatever heated disagreement happening here "wars" is missing the point entirely. What's discussed here might be interesting but it's not, in the end, important. I would, and I imagine so would other, go drink something with the guy I just flamed on the forums, and we'd talk amiably about subjects equally futile while having a laugh, or not, but sharing an ASOIAF interest is more likely to bring us closer than to the reverse. I have been known to go out with people who didn't read, can you imagine? The humanity, the horror.

LOL, yea its all forum warfare I hate everyone who disagrees with me and if you dont like stannis or the starks you are my blood enemy and I must defeat you. :fencing:

Archived