The Others POV

ImpBeyondTheWall

The White Walkers are "warged" by the Others. They used them as puppets and thats what they are for the most part. I'm sure Bran will find a way to warg them and it would seem that Bloodraven has somehow found a way to bring White Walkers back to sanity somehow. They are still dead in much of the same way UnCat is. It seems the Others use Ice Magic in the same way that the Red Priests used Fire Magic. So in that prism, they bring things to life through that form of magic. Though a lot of clarification is needed.

I'm not sure the Others/white walkers we have seen (in the prologue and in the aftermath of the slaughter at the Fist) are dead. I think they are not, because one of them clearly died when Sam stuck him with the pointy end of that dagger. The wights are former people and animals raised from death, they seem to be alike to UnCat.

Even though their language is incomprehensible, it could be "translated" like the other languages in ASoIaF so we might be able to know their thoughts.

I don't think there will be a p.o.v. of an Other and to maintain suspense I would rather not have it, for that matter.

Good thread, it made me think that we have indeed only p.o.v.'s of people who speak the common tongue of Westeros.

I'm not sure the Others/white walkers we have seen (in the prologue and in the aftermath of the slaughter at the Fist) are dead. I think they are not, because one of them clearly died when Sam stuck him with the pointy end of that dagger. The wights are former people and animals raised from death, they seem to be alike to UnCat.

My mistake. My terminology has been mixed up a bit. When I refer to the White Walkers, I was referring to the Wights. The Other/White Walkers didn't make up most of the attack on the Fist of the First Men. They were mainly Wights. The Wights are mainly the ones "warged" or it would seem by the Others.

I get to this conclusion from the Wights that attacked Commander Mormont in his chambers and the fact that Coldhands is technically a Wight but is free from the influence of the Others.

Whatever "intelligence" the Wights seem to show when attacking the NW men at the Fist would seem due to the influence of the "Others" on them. We see a lack of any "human" characteristics with Small Paul when he attacks Sam and Gilly. Perhaps once they are free from the influence or radius of the Others they can retake their human nature and intellect. We can only assume at this point I guess

Good vs Evil goes against everything GRRM stands for as a writer. He's expressed loving classics such as LOTR, but he finds "fantasy cliches" like good vs evil to be boring and done to death.

Really, we don't know jack about the Others. All the records are shady and too outdated to be trusted. GRRM has gone out of his way to hint to us that "you shouldn't trust too old literature", even having the chapter where Sam dives into the Others' history appear twice from two POVs. In addition GRRM intentionally plays around with "opposites". Heroes - Night's Watch dress in black and consist mainly of outcasts, thugs and criminals. Not the typical hero organization. King's Guard, a once noble order is totally corrupt and wear bright white/gold armor which is normally associated with good guys etc etc.

The Others couldn't have been more obvious to associate with evil. They are associated with cold, harsh death. Even use necromancy to mass undead armies. I tell you, it's incredibly intentional from GRRM's part that he wants us to think they are evil, when in fact they are like all other characters and factions. Gray.

ETA: As for the OP. I don't think there will ever be a Others POV. Basically because it would reveal too much about them, and I don't think GRRM wants to reveal the full mystery surrounding them before well into aDoS. The only option would really be a Winter epilogue or Dream prologue, but even that seems unlikely. It would be awesome though, but like said too revealing.

So, almost everyone agree The Others are not necessarily evil.

And with good reason.

By the way, if the theory of the Ice Dragon in The Wall is true, Could it be possible that maybe The Others want to bring it down to wake him up?

There are, in fact, many of us who believe the Others are evil.

The fact that the Giants and the Children of the Forest side with the humans against the Others, for example, demonstrates how they are exceptionally evil compared to man.

You fools! Have you not discovered that if you say Hodor extremely quickly, it sounds like Hudder? And and AND if you say Hudder extremely quickly....it sounds like....oh sweet Jesus....it sounds like...... OTHER. Jon Arryn discovered this in his readings, and was on his way to deliver the news to King Robert, before Hodor had him poisoned with a blowdart. Ned Stark discovered Jon Arryn's writings, and was trying to inform Joffrey Baratheon of his revelation, before Hodor had him framed for treason.

Hodor, gentlemen, is none Other (haha), than the Great Other, whose eternal war against Rh'llor is finally coming towards an awful and terrifying close. The coldly calculating and horrifically menacing demonic entity has concealed itself for now, lurking behind the dopy mask of a cheerful and befuddled stableboy....until the time is ripe. Now that he has crossed the Wall to rejoin his unholy White Walker armies, none shall withstand his terrible might. He shall take back the kingdom which was stolen from him, with HODOR and HODOR.

So begins the age...of the Hodor.

So, almost everyone agree The Others are not necessarily evil.

And with good reason.

By the way, if the theory of the Ice Dragon in The Wall is true, Could it be possible that maybe The Others want to bring it down to wake him up?

That would be an interesting prospect. Ice Dragon vs Fire Dragon. It is possible if there is such a thing as a Ice Dragon that it was buried underneath the Wall by Bran the Builder and Azor Ahai.

The White Walkers are "warged" by the Others. They used them as puppets and thats what they are for the most part. I'm sure Bran will find a way to warg them and it would seem that Bloodraven has somehow found a way to bring White Walkers back to sanity somehow. They are still dead in much of the same way UnCat is. It seems the Others use Ice Magic in the same way that the Red Priests used Fire Magic. So in that prism, they bring things to life through that form of magic. Though a lot of clarification is needed.

You seem to be confusing the wights with the White Walkers. The WW are the Others. The wights are the undead that are subservient to the Others.

Edit: I see I'm late to this party, I'm reading on my phone and forgot that this page had been open for several hours before I replied.

Back to the topic, I'm not positive that the Others are evil, but since their goal for survival and humanities goal of survival seem mutually exclusive it doesn't really matter to me.

An Other POV would be cool only for the background world building it would give IMO.

Is a lion evil from an antelope's point of view???

All the others want to do is kill humans fact, and even if they have some other moral stance who cares, if you meet one it will try and kill you!!!! No questions asked it will just kill you, and then use your corpse to kill more people.

They are EVIL as fuck!!!!!

Is a lion evil from an antelope's point of view???

All the others want to do is kill humans fact, and even if they have some other moral stance who cares, if you meet one it will try and kill you!!!! No questions asked it will just kill you, and then use your corpse to kill more people.

Possibly, but as so far (Book Five) they are not very effective if that is their goal. The ones who we saw killing a human were attacked or at least challenged first. Sure, they could have ran, ask for mercy or turn the other cheek (no pun intended).

There are, in fact, many of us who believe the Others are evil.

The fact that the Giants and the Children of the Forest side with the humans against the Others, for example, demonstrates how they are exceptionally evil compared to man.

Do we really know if the CoTF supports the humans?

All information we have regarding their last contact with the south are ancient bedtime stories. Legends who cannot necessarily be trusted. I'm curious how GRRM will play this out. Right now I also don't believe the Others to be "evil". Humans do some pretty mean things to eachother, just look at Vargo or Gregor. Had it been them who were ordered to kill some NW rangers, you can bet they would torture the survivors for amusement. We've seen no Others doing that sort of thing yet.

Possibly, but as so far (Book Five) they are not very effective if that is their goal. The ones who we saw killing a human were attacked or at least challenged first. Sure, they could have ran, ask for mercy or turn the other cheek (no pun intended).

What!!

Who provoked them at the fist??

Who provoked them in the prologue of GoT??

Archived