Arya and the Night's Watch? Danny Flint vol. 2?

kissdbyfire

SEVERE CRACKPOT ALERT, READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL :P

I don't really think this pot is that cracked anymore, :)

The bones remember" - The Davos Seaworth Glamor thread reminded me of this...

The premise of the Davos Seaworth Glamour thread is that Mel thinking about a bag of fingerbones is too specific to be just a coincidence. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But let’s say for argument’s sake it isn’t just a coincidence. In which case, maybe the other items she thinks about are showing us something too.

ADwD, Melisandre

Mance Rayder chuckled. “I had my doubts as well, Snow, but why not let her try? It was that, or let Stannis roast me.”
“The bones help,” said Melisandre. “The bones remember. The strongest glamors are built of such things. A dead man’s boots, a hank of hair, a bag of fingerbones. With whispered words and prayer, a man’s shadow can be drawn forth from such and draped about another like a cloak. The wearer’s essence does not change, only his seeming.”

AFfC, Cat of the Canals

By the time Cat returned to Brusco’s house, an evening fog was gathering above the small canal. She put away her barrow, found Brusco in his counting room, and thumped her purse down on the table in front of him. She thumped the boots down too.
Brusco gave the purse a pat. “Good. But what’s this?”
“Boots.”
“Good boots are hard to find,” said Brusco, “but these are too small for my feet.” He picked one up to squint at it.
“The moon will be black tonight,” she reminded him.
“Best you pray, then.” Brusco shoved the boots aside and poured out the coins to count them. “Valar dohaeris.”
Valar morghulis, she thought.

AFfC, Cat of the Canals

“Just so,” said the kindly man. “And the third thing?”
This time she did not hesitate. “Dareon is dead. The black singer who was sleeping at the Happy Port. He was really a deserter from the Night’s Watch. Someone slit his throat and pushed him into a canal, but they kept his boots.”
“Good boots are hard to find.”
“Just so.” She tried to keep her face still.
“Who could have done this thing, I wonder?”
“Arya of House Stark.” She watched his eyes, his mouth, the muscles of his jaw.
“That girl? I thought she had left Braavos. Who are you?”
“No one.”
“You lie.”

Note that Brusco doesn’t keep the pair of boots, apparently Arya of house Stark does. Arya heading for the Wall, wearing a glamour and looking like Dareon.

ETA:

ADwD, The Ugly Little Girl

“Mummers change their faces with artifice,” the kindly man was saying, “and sorcerers use glamors, weaving light and shadow and desire to make illusions that trick the eye. These arts you shall learn, but what we do here goes deeper.”

Now I'm thinking of the joke that ends, "you must work for Microsoft because your answer was 100% correct but 0% helpful." :P

Back to your OP and theory, one thing to check is to make sure Arya dumps all of her posssions sans Needle before she gets the boots.

It was helpful too! You didn't read it right! :P

As to the other point, the boots incident is after she's dumped her possessions sans Needle - the chapter where she kills Dareon (and keep his boots) ends with her waking up blind. ;)

Not bad, I'm sold :D I would be pretty awesome, and travelling as a NW member would definitely be safer for her. But how will she do the glamour? Will the FM teach her?

Yes, much safer, I thought about that too. And Jon, having seen the Mance/Rattleshirt switcheroo won't have much trouble believing it once she says the right things.

As to how would she do it, I haven't got a clue. :P

But she's in Braavos, and there's a Red Temple there. One possibility would be that at some point or another she decides to take off - maybe something she hears, news from Westeros? Her character interacts with lots of people in Braavos; she had to learn 3 new things every time she left the Temple. It's not too far-fetched for her to have heard lots of things about Red R'hllor.

There's also all that training with the new faces and stuff - she is learning a lot of things.

If she's heard of glamours, she could seek the r'hllorists out. :uhoh:

Yes, much safer, I thought about that too. And Jon, having seen the Mance/Rattleshirt switcheroo won't have much trouble believing it once she says the right things.

As to how would she do it, I haven't got a clue. :P

But she's in Braavos, and there's a Red Temple there. One possibility would be that at some point or another she decides to take off - maybe something she hears, news from Westeros? Her character interacts with lots of people in Braavos; she had to learn 3 new things every time she left the Temple. It's not too far-fetched for her to have heard lots of things about Red R'hllor.

There's also all that training with the new faces and stuff - she is learning a lot of things.

If she's heard of glamours, she could seek the r'hllorists out. :uhoh:

That's true, I did think that, but I thought you might have a fantastic, crackpot theory as to how she finds out :P It's most likely she'll learn it for one of her 3 new things, or maybe she'll learn it but doesn't tell the Kindly Man, just decides to try it for herself. I think it's pretty much a given that she won't complete her FM training. Though this theory just kind of get in the way of my Arya-valonqar theory :P

That's true, I did think that, but I thought you might have a fantastic, crackpot theory as to how she finds out :P It's most likely she'll learn it for one of her 3 new things, or maybe she'll learn it but doesn't tell the Kindly Man, just decides to try it for herself. I think it's pretty much a given that she won't complete her FM training. Though this theory just kind of get in the way of my Arya-valonqar theory :P

Yeah, I like the Arya-valonqar too. But maybe that'll happen afterwards? Too much, though, isn't it?

The other thing about Mel's thoughts in ADwD is that besides de fingerbones and the boots, she thinks about a hank of hair. I've been wracking my brain trying to remember... isn't a hank of hair mentioned in connection to another character? I think it is, but I can't for the life of me remember who or when it's mentioned. :(

But what about her POVS in DwD? We clearly know she's still in Braavos.

It's not something that would have happened already. I think there'd be a trigger that would make her decide to take off. She'll hear about glamours and how they work, and she'll remember the boots.

The trigger could be news from Westeros, for instance. News about the death of LC Snow? Or something she sees in a wolf dream?

It's not something that would have happened already. I think there'd be a trigger that would make her decide to take off. She'll hear about glamours and how they work, and she'll remember the boots.

I like it.

At first I thought the theory suggested she had done the act already, and we'd see her on a boat in twow thinking back on what she'd done, didn't like that. But this theory seems very plausible.

She could very likely hear a rumor about the Red God's power when it comes to changing appearance. And we all know she's dying to learn how to change her own appearance, it all makes sense. If she has to change gods for the glamour to happen, like really happen, she could think back and remember that Arya of House Stark believed in the Old Gods, not the girl she has become.

I like it.

At first I thought the theory suggested she had done the act already, and we'd see her on a boat in twow thinking back on what she'd done, didn't like that. But this theory seems very plausible.

She could very likely hear a rumor about the Red God's power when it comes to changing appearance. And we all know she's dying to learn how to change her own appearance, it all makes sense. If she has to change gods for the glamour to happen, like really happen, she could think back and remember that Arya of House Stark believed in the Old Gods, not the girl she has become.

Spot on.

There's also all that internship in how to be a boy. :ninja:

Traveling/impersonating a NW member is not a good thing.

1. Deserters are executed. 2. Dany Flint was raped and killed.

Anyways, a hank of hair was mentioned in reference to a dead soldier Yoren's group came across. He had blond hair tied up in a ribbon. It was probably of a family member. Varamyr used to keep hanks of hair from the women he stole. Dead baby Aegon only had a few hanks of fair hair.

Oh yes.

Izembaro could maybe be a believer of the Red God?

Was just having a look at this thread. And this is what post #5 by just an Other says:

Interesting notion. My first thoughts were that Izembarro sounded like a braavosi name and might not be a FM himself since he actually has a name, but someone who can teach her necessary skills for "giving the gift" like glamors or is actually a mummer, as we have been told that the FM share techniques with mummers. Now, I think it is the current guise of the FM with the plague, who gave her the assignment to kill the insurance salesman. I think the apprenticeship is not unlike a knight/squire relationship and that he will take her on a mission with him, getting her on the move once again.

:wideeyed:

Traveling/impersonating a NW member is not a good thing.

1. Deserters are executed. 2. Dany Flint was raped and killed.

Anyways, a hank of hair was mentioned in reference to a dead soldier Yoren's group came across. He had blond hair tied up in a ribbon. It was probably of a family member. Varamyr used to keep hanks of hair from the women he stole. Dead baby Aegon only had a few hanks of fair hair.

Deserters are executed when and if they are caught. She may simply wear a Dareon glamour without posing as a NW 'man'.

And yes, I know the tale of brave Danny Flint. But we have several other characters that have similarities with lots of these tales: Stannis = NK - but he won't really 'marry a White Walker'; Manderly = Rat Cook - but I don't think he's going to turn into a giant white rat, nor that he'll eat his young.

So, for all intents and purposes, she can, at least in theory, be a parallel to Danny Flint.

And cheers for the mentions of hanks of hair. I suppose I was thinking about Varamyr...

Archived