What made you start reading the books?

Sworn Shield

I'm kinda curious what influenced everyone to read the book? Was it the TV series, a friends recomandation or did you see it in a book store and decided to give it a go.

For me I am of the new school of people who picked up the ASOIAF series. I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes or the series thought it was awesome, but then decided that fiilms and tv series are never as good the books they are based off and bought the first book. I then read the first four books cover to cover (never did see what people's problem with AFFC was), spent the next two weeks reading wiki site in time for ADWD.

I have currently finished my third read through of the series and read all the Dunk and Egg series, although wish like others have mentioned I read D&E before ADWD to get all the Bloodraven bit.

So I just wanna know how everyone else got into the series and have they introduced many of their firends and family to the series.

I have always read fantasy books, watched the TV show and it was awesome so i picked up the books and never looked back.

Read all the books, and Dunk & Egg, have the comic books and graphic novel compilation book, now im looking for the Dunk and Egg graphic novels.

Seen the add for the show thought hmmm that might be good. Loved the show but didn't realise it was based on books typed GOT into google for background information which resulted in me finding out about the books but also getting major spoilers. Bought the books for the full story and loved it ever since

It was a combination of things that got me to actually read the books.

Saw the TV show.

was bored(but not from the show) so watched the opening credits more closely and saw that it was based on a book series.

Had wanted to get immersed in a fantasy series since the end of harry potter (grown up ones were too corny for me)

Was on break from study

So I bought game of thrones and was hooked

I consider myself lucky that these things all happened like they did or I would never have got into the books.

It was in 2009 (possibly 2008) when I became tired of WoT and wanted something new I discovered, more or less by happenstance, GoT on the local library and picked it up and have loved the series ever since. I have also read the D&E novels. I havent really introduced to more then a handful of friends really, lately though because of the tv series some have started reading ASOIAF..

The first season of GOT on HBO got me interested, then I started reading and have now have read the books three times each. I have also read all three Dunk and Egg and am waiting for the fourth. So the TV series is how I found my way to aSoIaF. This is the only books of the fantasy genre I read, I am generally not into it.

TV show. Didn't watch until the end of season two. Then I watched them all back to back and read all the books + D&E shorts. Then I watched TKMNN and still grin when I think about it. I sought out this forum because I just had to tell someone who would care that R+L=J only to learn that a zillion other people figured that one out the same way. :(

I started by just randomly picking up AFFC paperback at an airport. I didn't know anything about it, but the "American Tolkien" line got me.

I didn't know it was book 4 and I got 1/3 of the way through it before I realized that this couldn't possibly be the start of a series. It was a tough read.

Interesting perspective however since we only get Cersei's view of Tyrion as this grotesque little monster who murdered her son and was hiding in the walls.

Well, a friend of mine recommend the books and the tv series to me. However since we have very different tastes (she's into romantic books like twilight and the likie) and I never been much into fantasy I didn't took her suggestion right away. I watched the series and found it interesting but because I still wasn't convinced went ands downloaded the first book. A few chapters later I was already in love and bought all the 4 books later in the week.

Around 2004. A friend of mine wouldn't shut up about these awesome books he'd started reading. So I bought all three (at the time) on Amazon and let them sit for a few weeks while I finished up whatever else I was reading at the time. Dude kept pestering me so finally one night I decided to give it a go - the prologue didn't grab me, but Bran's first chapter did and the rest as they say was history.

8 years 4 rereads later, I'm now that guy who pesters all his friends to read ASOIAF. :P

TV show because of Pete Hines, vice-president of Bethesda Softworks. He tweeted about reading Dance, and about the TV-series while I was waiting for Skyrim.

Archived