Women have a hard time giving birth to Targaryen babies?

Will the Sellsword

Rhaella Targaryen died giving birth to Daenerys. Elia of Dorne was "of delicate health" and "frail" after giving birth to a daughter and then a son. Lyanna Stark died giving birth to 'Jon Snow'. Joanna Lannister also died giving birth to 'Tyrion Lannister'. Any other examples?

Making a few assumptions here I see

Catlyn Targaryen?

Edmure Targaryen.

Also, this can't be stressed enough, there are plenty of Freys that have died in childbirth.

I get why people notice a trend in Targaryen characters (which does not include Tyrion!) having trouble being born, but it has nothing to do with Targaryens being super magical people. Heroes and main characters often need to be orphans to better fulfill their arcs, and having the mother die in childbirth is a convenient way of getting rid of her. It's a plot thing and has been seen in a thousand variations.

• 2 months later...

Rhaella Targaryen died giving birth to Daenerys. Elia of Dorne was "of delicate health" and "frail" after giving birth to a daughter and then a son. Lyanna Stark died giving birth to 'Jon Snow'. Joanna Lannister also died giving birth to 'Tyrion Lannister'. Any other examples?

dany killed her mother.

well maybe it is the ones who are the true "dragons" that kill at birth?

Myriah Martell didn't die birthing Baelor Breakspear. Aegon V's mother didn't die giving birth to him, as far as I know. Both Targaryens referred to as "dragons" in prophetic visions. Hell, assuming that Aegon I was older than at least one of his sisters, his mother didn't die giving birth to him either.

So, no, still not buying it.

ETA: I also believe that Rhaegar was the "dragon" that hatched at Summerhall, and Rhaella didn't die giving birth to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Elia had always been very frail, so if giving birth to a Targaryen were to kill anyone it would be her. Lyanna giving birth to Jon is only speculation in the first place, and although i'm personally inclined to believe that theory, she was also at the Tower of Joy when she gave birth, which couldn't have been helpful. Rhaella, having given birth to Rhaegar 25 years earlier, would have been very old when Daenerys was born. And, as the Lannister aunt who's name i can't remember once told Tywin, Tyrion was his son (rather than Jaime) thus far, there is overwhelming evidence that he really is a Lannister and not a Targaryen. In any case, his mother died giving birth to him because he was a dwarf more than anything else.

Archived