Tormund's police and other miscarriers of justice thread.

Tormund Ukrainesbane

I must say I'm slightly incredulous that Sturn is debating this law under the actual merits of the law as if he hadn't yet figured out that the law in practice and application are entirely different, especially in cases where one side's word is always taken at face value and the requirements are nebulous at best.

This.

I must say I'm slightly incredulous that Sturn is debating this law under the actual merits of the law as if he hadn't yet figured out that the law in practice and application are entirely different, especially in cases where one side's word is always taken at face value and the requirements are nebulous at best.

This.

And this:

I have a problem with this part because it's so broad it's just waiting for abuse or misinterpretation until some case law comes along.

And this:

I completely agree with you (see my post #382 above) that, "INTENT TO HARASS, ANNOY, THREATEN OR ALARM", is way too open to interpretation...........The problem is the broad wording that will need lots of case law or DA direction for it not to be way too open to interpretation.

And this:

I will give you this. I completely agree the annoy/harass part is way too broad. As I've said twice now it needs to be more specific or it's going to need lots of DA direction or case law to help ensure it isn't abused.

Well, there's no way to defend a kitty massacre to encourage a debate, so instead an anecdotal story.

Once on duty I was sent to the emergency room by a kitten. I'm reminded from time to time by my co-workers of this tale. A lady complained of a kitten in a drainage culvert. The way the lady was going on, I knew if the kitten jumped or fell down further in the drain, she was next going to demand the fire department, street department, and some excavators respond to the scene. So, instead of trying to nab the kitten by the safe (to me) method of grabbing it by the scruff of it's neck, I grabbed it around it's body to ensure it didn't slip from my grasp. It promptly bit me for my endeavor, on the meaty part of my thumb. The kitten was taken away and the lady had the gall to berate me for not knowing how to properly grab a kitten as I dripped blood on the pavement. As I drove off my entire hand suddenly balooned up and started turning a gray color. I drove one-handed to the emergency room. I was treated for infection, cleaned, etc. Of course by the time another cop arrived, the coloring and swelling had disappeared leaving only a very small laceration. The officer began interviewing me as a victim to the delight of the ER staff. By pure coincidence there was a calendar with a kitten on it hanging upon the ER wall. The officer asked me, "Sir, could this be the suspect?"

I got some told you so's later at least. The kitten died strangely at a vet the next day for no discernible reason. The lady who had me retrieve the kitten felt bad and paid the bill when the kitten was sent to a local university for testing. I had a few days of wondering if my future included a string of shots or some rare disease. The tests came back clear and I still don't know what killed the kitten or why my hand quickly balooned and turned gray for a few minutes.

Ok, sorry, back to the kitty massacre. A defense? Perhaps it was a cop like me that had encountered kittens with bloating-disease ridden fangs and was in sudden fear for his life?

Archived