Who will be the Faith's champion?

mitch176

I was pondering the possible outcomes here...

They could put forward Lancel in the hopes that Cersei couldn't have one of her own blood effectively massacred by RS.

Or

There's the theory that they'll send for The Hound and we finally have the showdown between The Hound and the "Mountain".

What do you think?

Hmm interesting. Maybe the Hound's been recuperating on Quiet Isle. Why would the Silent Brothers lie though about him being dead?

They say the Hound is dead, but when actually pressed about Sandor Clegane:

It is true, then,” she said dully. “Sandor Clegane is dead.”

“He is at rest.” The Elder Brother paused.

This may be a case of someone not technically lying, but misleading. "The Hound", the violent part of Clegane, is gone, but Sandor Clegane has found peace as the Gravekeeper on the Quiet Isle.

But how would the Faith know about Sandor Clegane being there? I don't think the Elder Brother would send word to the High Septon; ''Hey, psst! Sandor Clegane is here, if you ever need him, to kill his brother or someone like that, just send a raven!'' Remember, the Hound is 'dead' as the Elder Brother has pointed out, implying, to me, he doesn't fight anymore. And I don't think the Elder Brother would let him fight, he's finally at rest. Would he really send him to King's Landing to fight for a trial?

I was pondering the possible outcomes here...

They could put forward Lancel in the hopes that Cersei couldn't have one of her own blood effectively massacred by RS.

Yeah I don't think Cercei would have any qualms with that. Cercei would order Bob Strong to murder Lancel in a heartbeat. If only because he confessed to eh, well, cohabitating with her. Besides she'd murder Tyrion, her own blood, in a hearbeat too. In fact she'll murder anyone she doesn't particulairly like in a heartbeat.

I personally think Lancel will face Bob Strong, and get murdered horribly by the latter.

I just wished Gregor Clegane would stay dead, and now I have no idea who's gonna stop him unless he ends up as dragon food.

Sandor Clegane may have been written out of ASOFAI, his purpose has served and he may not take up his blade again.

early on in the ASOIAF i thought it would be inevitable that the hound and the mountain would have a dual, i think everyone did, but later when the silent brother spoke of the hound with brienne i thought surely hes dead but thats the thing with George, he could flip it upside down in the next few books. And personaly i think Bob Strong (the mountain) would beat lancel to a pulp!

I would be disappointed if Sandor enlisted to fight UnGregor. If the gravedigger really is Sandor, the whole point of that thread is that he left his visceral hate behind him. If he now went all gung ho to [re]kill his brother, that would ruin the Hound's story for me.

Of course, it could get more interesting - as in him being somehow sent by the Fate without wanting to and maybe letting Ungregor kill him. I don't think that's realistic though, not now that the Faith has a whole armed military corps to chose from and Sandor is miles away leading a non-violent life

But how would the Faith know about Sandor Clegane being there? I don't think the Elder Brother would send word to the High Septon; ''Hey, psst! Sandor Clegane is here, if you ever need him, to kill his brother or someone like that, just send a raven!'' Remember, the Hound is 'dead' as the Elder Brother has pointed out, implying, to me, he doesn't fight anymore.

The Quiet Isle takes pilgrims, they welcome Septon Meribald and dog back for example, and refugees, as evidenced by Brienne's visiting accomodations, and the current High Septon, we know from his complaints to Cersei, receives intelligence from his wandering sparrows, and keeps his ear to the ground regarding events across the realm. It's not impossible he'd find out about the Hound being on the Quiet Isle. After all, the guy has a very distinct height and face.

And I don't think the Elder Brother would let him fight, he's finally at rest. Would he really send him to King's Landing to fight for a trial?

I agree it doesn't seem like the Elder Brother on the Quiet Isle would want to toss Sandor back into battle. But it may not end up being his choice if the High Sparrow exerts his influence. We don't know enough about the hierarchy in the Faith I suppose.

Given that Sandor's one leg is lame, I don't think he'll be the prime candidate for fighting anyone.

No, if the High Septon wants to win that fight, he is going to pick among the best of his armed forces. Sending Lancel to fight would only happen if the High Septon wanted Cersei to go free (which some posters have speculated to be in his best interests).

Given that Sandor's one leg is lame, I don't think he'll be the prime candidate for fighting anyone.

Brienne thinks it's clear he's lame based on the way he moves, but it may be he's recovering from the big gash on his thigh he received at the Inn at the Crossroads.

Brienne thinks it's clear he's lame based on the way he moves, but it may be he's recovering from the big gash on his thigh he received at the Inn at the Crossroads.

Wait when does Brienne see Sandor move to judge that he's lame?

Wait when does Brienne see Sandor move to judge that he's lame?

When Brienne is on the Quiet Isle, she sees a novice who is lame. That novice is bigger than Brienne itself, Stranger is in the stables and the novice likes dogs. Brienne doesn't know it herself, but she saw Sandor Clegane right there.

Yeah I don't think Cercei would have any qualms with that. Cercei would order Bob Strong to murder Lancel in a heartbeat. If only because he confessed to eh, well, cohabitating with her. Besides she'd murder Tyrion, her own blood, in a hearbeat too. In fact she'll murder anyone she doesn't particulairly like in a heartbeat.

I personally think Lancel will face Bob Strong, and get murdered horribly by the latter.

I just wished Gregor Clegane would stay dead, and now I have no idea who's gonna stop him unless he ends up as dragon food.

Sandor Clegane may have been written out of ASOFAI, his purpose has served and he may not take up his blade again.

Oh I agree that Cersei would have no trouble condemning Lancel, but the High Septon may not want to believe that.

Just posted on the Cersei trial of 7 thread.

I think the Septon is going to hear of or see Robert Strong and he is going to have to use Sandor. Well, you have to believe he is still alive, and I do. But I think the Septon wants to win, of course, and he is going to inquire about those in the holy orders, and Sandor, though not as big as his brother, will stand out, or the Brother on the QI is going to be told he has to go, or suggest Sandor to the septon, or something will happen.

I was thinking, if I was the Septon and I heard the details regarding Strong, or if I saw hiim, really I would look at Lancel and other candidates and think.

1. They are so dead. They are going to be flattened like roadkill in five seconds flat.

2. I am going to lose to Cersei without a doubt.

He is either going to seek out Sandor or he will be suggested to him. No one else has a fighting chance or is big enough. I don't see Lancel or anyone else being able to pull an Oberyn again, in which strategy and skill can make up for smaller size. We have seen Sandor hold off his brother before. And I am sure the Septon is doing his homework and not waiting for the last minute to plan who will represent the Faith, especially when word gets out about Strong.

Not Sandor - he seems to have found peace on Quiet Isle and hopefully abandoned his bitterness, anger and desire to kill his brother. Him fighting for the Faith would nullify all his character development in AFFC.

And certinaly not Lancel - as there are surely better swordsmen among Warrior's Sons - order made exclusively of noblemen serving the Faith.

I believe Faith's champion will be completely new character, member of Warrior's Sons renowed for his fighting and duelling skills. I somehow doubt he'll prove match for Ser Robert Strong, though..

I can see Sandor being told to do it and he doesn't want to. I don't know how far into the vows he is. He is a novice I think.

If the Septon is stupid and puts Lancel or someone else up that doesn't have a chance in hell, unless Strong has a weakness by the nature of what he is, Cersei winning could free her up in the story for the time being, but it is apparent that her downfall will come by the end of the series.

It may not be now. Maybe Robert Strong wins and Cersei's victory is temporary.

Well we can be assured that any previously unintroduced character will be killed by Robert Strong setting Cersei free. Of named characters, the only one anyone seems to think will stand a chance is Sandor Clegane. So thinking about it this way, it will be Sandor or it will be some guy who will get killed. There's no point in it being a named character who stands no chance.

I repeat: Sandor Clegane is lame in one leg. Even if it isn't a permanent injury, he's definitely not in prime condition at the moment.

Most certainly not. But I've yet to see a suggestion of anyone else that might be able to defeat an 8 foot tall walking corpse, wearing armor described by blacksmiths as too large for any person.

Archived