Who will be the Faith's champion?

mitch176

Well it depends, do they want for Cersei to win and Tommen remain king?

If yes, they would go for Lancel.

If no, they will choose someone they think able ( I would love Bonifer Hasty prologue, we may learn something new about Aerys and even Egg) but Cersei will still win, because her champion is undead monster

I would say the HS wants to gain either power for some sort of religious state or destroy Cersei for Varys, either way I ould say he let his septons search for the best warrior in their service and they will find Sandor who joined the warrior sons (than finally SanSan is over), and so he can fight his undead brother

I think Lancel would be ridiculous. Isn't he still like a foot in the grave?

I also think Sandor would probably lose too. Doesn't he have a limp leg? We're not sure how far along he is in his whole "Hound is dead" thing, but perhaps he has put aside his anger?

Either way, I think no matter who the Faith chooses, Cersei will make it out of this alive, and Robert Strong might actually win.

We all want it to be Sandor if the gravedigger is truly him. Will this happen? We won't know until the next book. Since Sandor is a part of the faith and kinslaying is a terrible sin would this count against him since his brother is already technically died? GRRM built this battle up and then kind of took it away from us so maybe we'll finally get to see the showdown. That's if Robert Strong is even undead Gregor (yes I know it probably is). I honestly don't see Lancel being their champion, but I could very well be wrong. Might be a bit of redemption for him in a way. If he won it would prove he has turned his back on his former life and won with the strength of his faith. If the Gravedigger is Sandor and that he has indeed turned his life around then this can also go towards a bit of a redemption in a way for him as well. Prove that he can fight for the faith without letting his lust for violence and killing get the better of him.

We all want it to be Sandor if the gravedigger is truly him. Will this happen? We won't know until the next book. Since Sandor is a part of the faith and kinslaying is a terrible sin would this count against him since his brother is already technically died?

Wasn't there a kinslaying during the trial in D&E and it didn't count, because it was during a trial by combat

I repeat: Sandor Clegane is lame in one leg. Even if it isn't a permanent injury, he's definitely not in prime condition at the moment.

The Elder Brother is described as having "healing hands". The gravedigger might appear lame when Brienne sees him, but that doesn't mean he's permanently injured.

I really can't see Sandor ever joining the Faith militant or something like that. Just doesn't seem his style.

Something that interests me...assuming they have the trial by combat and Cersei's champion is Robert Strong, and assuming as is very likely that Robert Strong wins, how will the High Septon react? Take for example, that during the fight the champion of the Faith (let's just say Lancel for now) wounds Robert in a place that should hurt him, and there's no reaction. There's already rumors about Robert Strong going around, the HS doesn't strike me as the type of person who will let Cersei get away with essentially cheating in the trial by combat. Could lead to open revolt or something. Should be very interesting.

Wasn't there a kinslaying during the trial in D&E and it didn't count, because it was during a trial by combat

I am sad and embarrassed to say I have not read the D&E stories as I was waiting until GRRM came out with the compilation novel. I have also at all cost avoided any nuggets of the story so that I can be surprised when I finally read them. So unfortunately I can not speak on this subject. If what you say is true though then it makes sense, but does it even matter since he is dead already?

For a deus ex olla rimosa I suggest that Oberyn has been resurrected and will be up for a rematch with UnGregor. Only he knows that he has to do it right this time, no slow-acting poisons, etc. I like this idea, but the Faith may not, what with Oberyn's lifestyle, back when he had one.

Hey, maybe the Sandsnakes sneak into KL and infiltrate wherever Sir Robert "lives" and do away with him before his big moment, to avenge their father. The Dornish are nothing if not vengeful.

The champion will be Lancel or that Theodred dude mark my words. Cersei pretty much has to win the trial as there's no point in killing her off at the start of the book when she hasn't got any closure on her relationship with Jaime, her hatred of Tyrion and the Valonquar prophecy. So whoever goes up against Ungregor is going down. What's the point in bringing back the Hound only to die straight away? The Hound vs Mountain fight will come later imo.

The champion will be Lancel or that Theodred dude mark my words. Cersei pretty much has to win the trial as there's no point in killing her off at the start of the book when she hasn't got any closure on her relationship with Jaime, her hatred of Tyrion and the Valonquar prophecy. So whoever goes up against Ungregor is going down. What's the point in bringing back the Hound only to die straight away? The Hound vs Mountain fight will come later imo.

This is how I feel. I don't see any reason they would choose Lancel. He is a knight, but I don't ever remember anyone talking about him being a fine swordsman or a great champion. I believe it may just be an unnamed knight of the High Septon's choosing. Cersei will not be executed as a result of losing her trail.

How awesome would it be if the next prologue is from the POV of Ser Robert Strong, and it's the Hound he has to face? Sandor Clegane, Zombie Slayer, first of his name. I would love for the Hound to stroll in to KL, take out Ser Robert, and then announce to the crowd that he's going to find Sansa Stark and restore her to Winterfell and destroy anyone that obstructs him from doing that.

However, I think that plotwise Cersei and Jaime need to have a final reunion/showdown, and understand that this scenario with the Hound/UnGregor, while awesome, is unlikely to play out.

I was pondering the possible outcomes here...

They could put forward Lancel in the hopes that Cersei couldn't have one of her own blood effectively massacred by RS.

Or

There's the theory that they'll send for The Hound and we finally have the showdown between The Hound and the "Mountain".

What do you think?

Champion of the Faith? Some dead man

Hound as the Champion? He's lame and so l don't see him escaping ser Robert Strong's greatsword

We all want it to be Sandor if the gravedigger is truly him.

Not all of us. Some would prefer it if Sandor continues to chill on the QI until a certain Blackfish shows up with Jaime, Brienne and Pod in tow, looking for a girl of ten and four with auburn hair. :D

Archived