Euron's plan for Victarion is doomed, and has implications for Asha and Theon

Harland Flint

Considering where Victarion, Euron, Asha & Theon are at the end of aDwD and in the advance tWoW chapters (**spoilers for tWoW chapters**) it seems to me that Euron has a plan in store for Victarion which will fail, and Asha's realisation that Theon being alive invalidates the Kingsmoot is pointless in the long run (but not in the very important short run). First, let's look at the facts

- Euron gave Victarion the Dragon Horn, a Dusky Woman, and Maester Kerwin, and sent him to court Dany.

- Victarion had a bad case of sepsis on route, which was being treated by Maester Kerwin

- Victarion joined forces with Moqorro, got his sepsis cured, killed Maester Kerwin and now has a fancy new Demon-Arm. The Dusky Woman does not like Moqorro.

- Victarion plans to have his slaves blow the Dragon Horn as the Iron Fleet is closing in on Meereen (which we know from tWoW readings)

My theory is that Euron sent Victarion to court Dany and blow the Dragon Horn for two reasons

a ) Euron wants Victarion dead (Victarion hates Euron and is the greatest threat within the Ironborn to Euron's crown)

b ) Euron wants to know if the Dragon Horn will work before he uses it.

To make sure that 'a' happens and learn if 'b' is successful, Euron is hiding on the Iron Victory in disguise. If Victarion rocks up at Meereen, blows the horn and it fails, then Victarion will be burnt to death by angry dragons, achieving 'a' and 'b'. If the Dragon Horn works, then Euron achieves 'b' and can backstab Victarion later to achieve 'a'. However, Euron needs to know that the backstab will succeed (Victarion having some Dragons on side would make betraying him very hard). So Euron sent the Dusky Woman and Maester Kerwin to poison Victarion. A master plan by Euron.

However, Euron could not have foreseen Moqorro arriving, helping Victarion purge the poison and kill Maester Kerwin. Now with Moqorro and a Demon Arm, Victarion is even more powerful.

It wouldn't make sense for GRRM to save Victarion from Euron's poison but kill him anyway. Victarion getting better and gaining a Demon Arm has to mean something for the plot. I think that Euron's plan to backstab Victarion is doomed because of Moqorro and/or the Demon Arm. Although I've argued that killing Victarion would make little sense in terms of plot (and it might make sense in terms of 'mood', because killing another POV for no good reason reminds us that anybody can die in the Game of Thrones), I think that killing Euron would make perfect sense in terms of plot. Euron exists to introduce the Dragon Horn and send Victarion to Dany (no way was Victarion or Dany just going to find a Dragon Horn by accident). Euron has achieved that plot device, and unless GRRM gives him another plot necessary quality, he no longer has to live.

Even if my theory is correct, I've no idea what Victarion would do after killing Euron. All I know is that Euron being dead would mean another Kingsmoot. But wait, I hear you say, what about up in the North? Asha is planning to use Theon to invalidate the Euron's Kingship because Theon didn't know about the original Kingsmoot! Why would GRRM introduce a clever way to call another Kingsmoot if Euron is going to die and necessitate another Kingsmoot anyway?

There's a couple of ways to interpret this:

- Theon will die long before Asha can call another Kingsmoot. This would make Asha's plan a red herring. But I don't quite buy that interpretation, Theon seems to have a lot more story left to tell.

- Word will not reach the Iron Isles of Euron's death for a long time. Asha can use Theon to call a Kingsmoot and wait on Pyke for Euron to return, but receive word that Euron is dead and Victarion refused to come. This allows Asha to get Theon elected and mobilise the Iron Islanders for some purpose, perhaps supporting Stannis or making peace or something?

- My theory is wrong and Euron will kill Victarion, in which case Moqorro and the Demon Arm are red herrings, and it is Theon who will be the unexpected spanner in Euron's plan.

- Something along the lines of, the Iron Isles are attacked by Wights before any of this can happen (GRRM did offer to read an Aeron chapter at Miscon which he promised contained some weird, crazy stuff).

I agree on most parts, save for two notions:

• Euron hasn't served his purpose yet. There are so many ways mastery of the dragon horn can be interpreted, so I definitely wouldn't rule out Euron ending up taking control of one of Dany's dragons. Victarion's death is in no way a logical requirement for this to happen - remember, he is very easy to fool into leaving the horn unattended by the right people. Euron controlling a dragon opens up for multitudes of potential story twists.
  • There is very little chance of Asha being able to convince the Ironborn into following Theon; He is physically mutilated and looks like an old man. Remember how much support the ancient Erik Anvilbreaker got at the Kingsmoot? It would be the same for Theon, and unlike Erik, he doesn't have any past accomplishments to lean unto, apart from his failed attempt at conquering and holding Winterfell. Ramsay has broken him as king material. If Asha hopes to win a Kingsmoot, she is better off with herself as candidate.

I agree on most parts, save for two notions:

• Euron hasn't served his purpose yet. There are so many ways mastery of the dragon horn can be interpreted, so I definitely wouldn't rule out Euron ending up taking control of one of Dany's dragons. Victarion's death is in no way a logical requirement for this to happen - remember, he is very easy to fool into leaving the horn unattended by the right people. Euron controlling a dragon opens up for multitudes of potential story twists.
  • There is very little chance of Asha being able to convince the Ironborn into following Theon; He is physically mutilated and looks like an old man. Remember how much support the ancient Erik Anvilbreaker got at the Kingsmoot? It would be the same for Theon, and unlike Erik, he doesn't have any past accomplishments to lean unto, apart from his failed attempt at conquering and holding Winterfell. Ramsay has broken him as king material. If Asha hopes to win a Kingsmoot, she is better off with herself as candidate.

It may be, though, that Euron has no purpose other than to deliver the dragon horn to Victarion. It may even be that Victarion's only purpose is to see the dragon horn to Dany. (I kind of hope this is the case. Victarion is entertaining, but stupid, and I don't want to see him marrying Dany. Then again, she may like him. She likes bad boys and I suppose being Ironborn he's pretty badass. But dumb. The Ironborn are all so dumb.) I suppose Theon's purpose might be to support his sister as the legitimate ruler of the Ironborn. The Ironborn might not like being led by a woman, but they'd be much better for it. I think the first kingsmoot cut Asha's ego down just enough that she's smarter now, and definitely preferable to any of the other fools proposing to lead them. But then, Victarion may come back with dragons.

I think Theon is a means to call another Kingsmoot, not necessarily to specifically put Theon on the Seastone chair. And I think when Moqorro said "Your death is with us now, my lord." he was talking of the Dusky woman not the maester (I REALLY hope Euron isn't the dusky woman himself). I'm pretty sure Euron is still going to get the better of Victarion, and I think Moqorro is using Vic for his own means, even though it will lead to his doom.

As sad as it is, Victarion's purpose is going to be to get Dany to Westeros. Hopefully he'll kill Daario along the way, but I ultimately see Euron being his demise. Asha (or maybe even though misguided Damphair) will do for Euron eventually, but poor Victarion is doomed =(

I don't think euron can hide on the iron victory cause if he abandoned the seastone chair or his fleet I think he would loose his grip on the ironborn he had to remain to rule. But I do think he has a plan in store for vic. He was upset he couldn't go to dany himself. So he sent victarion. So vic thinks at least. He repeatedly sees euron's gifts are poisoned and victarion excepted them all and is half way enthralled to a sorcerer himself.

IMO, the poisoned gift from Euron is the dusky lady, and she's probably who assassinated Balon. And there dumb-as-a-stump Victarion is, telling her all his plans.

The kink in Euron's plans is Moqorro; no way he could've predicted Vic encountering a shadow binder from Asshai. So while I'm not sure on the details in my head, I still think Dragonbinder is going to help someone bind the two smaller dragons and the fleet will head back to Westeros after Meereen is liberated from the slave cities. Which will see Dany finally being drawn west in hot pursuit to free her two children.

There is very little chance of Asha being able to convince the Ironborn into following Theon

That's a good point, Theon is unlikely to win the Seastone Chair. But then again, Theon may not have to win the Kingsmoot, just calling a Kingsmoot is all Asha needs to invalidate the vows that that Ironborn owe Euron.

It may be, though, that Euron has no purpose other than to deliver the dragon horn to Victarion. It may even be that Victarion's only purpose is to see the dragon horn to Dany. (I kind of hope this is the case. Victarion is entertaining, but stupid, and I don't want to see him marrying Dany. Then again, she may like him. She likes bad boys and I suppose being Ironborn he's pretty badass.

I agree with this point because it is also possible that victarion is finally killed in the battle of fire (hoping for it) and his red preist delivers the dragon horn to danny so that along with drogon she can also also control the other two.I don't want the dragons falling into iron born hands because they will get themselves and other people roasted in their dragon fire.

I think morqorro could be part of euron's plans. Benerro sent out morqorro on a ship knowing it would wreck, knowing he would reach dany eventually. Is it a stretch he knew he was going to reach vic too. Not at all. So it could be just as possible that euron's own red priests knew what was in store for vic. Although the storm god cast morqorro in the sea, did the drowned god send him to vic. Or did the storm god. Curious very curious. Cause I see euron as like an embodiement of the storm god. So the storm god may want vic tied up in with a red priest knowing it could make his doom. And of course I use the term "gods" as just interpretations of forces we don't understand in asoiaf.

"It wouldn't make sense for GRRM to..." GRRM does whatever he likes near as I can tell and its often quite surprising.

Do not forget how many times he saved Beric Dondarrion...

Good post tho, OP

So...you invalidate his entire post, in your head, with one negligible line?

:bang:

Very well thought-out post, TC. Makes a lot of sense from the point of view as "the plot needs x to happen so y can advance."

Regarding the horn

I feel like there are some questions to be asked about the "horn," and whether it's actually the dragon horn or the Horn of Winter, or something else entirely. Its nature is very mysterious. We're told Euron sailed to Valyria and the Smoking Sea, but I feel it's just as probable and much more likely that he went somewhere North, maybe around the Lands of Always Winter and returned with that horn. Though, this doesn't explain the Valyrian markings... who knows! No way to tell, yet.

Regarding Theon

People are very quick to jump on Theon's importance to the Ironborn -- and they should. Afterall, he has the best claim to the throne and the key to calling in another kingsmoot... if GRRM wants that to happen. Considering the uncertainty of Jon's fate, I think it's much more likely (taking into account Theon's current situation) that Theon is the key to uniting the North. We're not sure what happened to Jeyne yet, and, if somehow Jon is dead or in a state where he can't remember / recognize his family, Theon serves as pretty much the only one who can, with validity, say that Jeyne is not Arya Stark (unless Sansa / Arya / Bran / Catelyn make a triumphant return North, in which case Jeyne's validity is moot). This could be crucial if Stannis loses the Battle of Ice (to which we don't know the outcome yet, though most of us like to think Stannis will win).

There's a huge theme of Redemption in ASOIAF -- Jaime redeeming his past life, Jon's redemption for the way the Watch has treated the Wildlings for thousands of years, Daenerys trying to redeem her image as a fire and blood conqueror (though there are times where she is trying to actively portray it, too), Jorah's relatively new idea of trying to redeem himself in Dany's eyes, Davos redeeming his smuggling days, and Tyrion's redeeming the ill-planned and sometimes monstrous actions of his family members. I think it stands to reason then that Theon may attempt to redeem himself for taking Winterfell and killing those who he once lived and worked with by freeing the North of their allegiance to the Boltons.

I think Theon is a means to call another Kingsmoot, not necessarily to specifically put Theon on the Seastone chair. And I think when Moqorro said "Your death is with us now, my lord." he was talking of the Dusky woman not the maester (I REALLY hope Euron isn't the dusky woman himself). I'm pretty sure Euron is still going to get the better of Victarion, and I think Moqorro is using Vic for his own means, even though it will lead to his doom.

As sad as it is, Victarion's purpose is going to be to get Dany to Westeros. Hopefully he'll kill Daario along the way, but I ultimately see Euron being his demise. Asha (or maybe even though misguided Damphair) will do for Euron eventually, but poor Victarion is doomed =(

Victarion rapes the Dusky woman, it can't be Euron... 0.o

Sorry but where the hell is Euron at the end of aDWD? At the end of aFfC he is still raiding up the neck right?

He's no-where near the Neck, he's raiding around the Reach and up the Mander. Or at least those Ironborn not with Vic are, presumably Euron is leading them. I find it quite implausible for him to be hiding on Vic's ship, it seems more likely that he is planning to attack Oldtown or Highgarden. I think he knows the dragon horn probably won't work and was just hoping to get rid of Vic while he consolidated his rule, maybe hoping he wouldn't come back at all.

So if euron hopes vic won't come back at all. why would he be hiding with him? I know george is a shocking writer. But euron in diisguise on iron victory is a crazy idea. How is he leading the iron born if he is across the world. Its been said he has a loose hold on the seastone chair and iron islands. So if he skips out to go dragon hunting he'd loose the chair. That's why he couldn't go to dany himself. That was his original plan. But the iron born wanted to rape and pillage up the mander so he was forced to send victarion. I do believe the dusky woman is more than she leads on to be. Especially since she hears all of vics plans cause he repeats them like a stupid parrot. I don't think its poor vic. I think its dumb vic. He's dancing to euron's tentacles controlling his every mood. And morqorro is serving to best himself. He can play the game and cause the downfall of victarion I think. Maybe even with the help of the dusky woman.

Archived