Will the Greatjon ever make it out of the Frey dungeon?

TheeMike .. :D :D :D...oh , the wierdness of the web.. I wasn't taking a poke at you at all, actually...but the person who misunderstood ( I think) my reference to Jaime sorting things out in the riverlands...( just gently ).

Step up ! step up ! Misunderstanding for all! Plenty to go around...

Of course it isn't.

It's the manner of the escape that's in question for me.. I agree that the Lannisters ,Freys and Boltons would never want to let him go.. but plans do have a way of going awry.... And I lean toward it being the unusually large dwarf head that was sent to Dorne ... if, in fact , Qyburn didn't have a way to send the real head and still keep un-Gregor "alive"

That sounds devious enough for a Frey .. but assuming Walder got the order from Jaime , I don't think he'd buck the Lannisters at this point ( now that Hoster's gone , would any Frey be so stupid ?) ;). They're the main Frey protection , now...

That sounds devious enough for a Frey .. but assuming Walder got the order from Jaime , I don't think he'd buck the Lannisters at this point ( now that Hoster's gone , would any Frey be so stupid ?) ;). They're the main Frey protection , now...

I don't follow your point....

Walders pretty savvy, the Tyrells are the power in Westeros now, another betrayal wouldn't surprise anyone.

I hope the Greatjon will make it out of the dungeon but when he does he most likely wont be the same as we are used to, I mean he has been in there for a long time and his king has been killed. He must be relatively weak and disheartened. He will be angry sure but it will take time for him to recover from his captivity, and then he needs to reach the North..I can see him escaping but either dying shortly after or escaping and then not surfacing until some Stark returns.

could be when walder die, he is released by one of the freys so that the umbers will turn on Rose, thus killing the freys in winterfel and so aiding said freys chances for succeeding lordship of the twins, it's what i would do...

I'm convinced (mainly due to the tale of the Rat Cook) that Old Walder will be the last Frey to die, or at least the last legitimate Frey. All those sons and dieing without an heir would just be too good.

I think the Greatjon will definitely escape, hopefully teaming up with the Blackfish for some Frey-killing awesomeness. I don't think he'll necessarily return to the North ever, but the Umber brothers are doing a good job playing both sides up there just now anyway and are likely involved in some way in Manderly's conspiracy.

TheeMike .. :D :D :D...oh , the wierdness of the web.. I wasn't taking a poke at you at all, actually...but the person who misunderstood ( I think) my reference to Jaime sorting things out in the riverlands...( just gently ).

Step up ! step up ! Misunderstanding for all! Plenty to go around...

i feel dumb. keep up the good work. i look forward to your posts.

I don't follow your point....

**I was trying to address two people's posts simultaneously...yours, and Thee Mike Honcho's.

Add to those , the following ..

Walders pretty savvy, the Tyrells are the power in Westeros now, another betrayal wouldn't surprise anyone.

No Frey duplicity would surprise me , but it seems to me a question of timing .. I haven't re-read that section closely ( yet ). Maybe some of you have.. ( if so , correct away.)

When Jaime ordered the message to be given .. we're not told whether the person sent a raven on ahead , or was planning to deliver the order personally ( and I don't remember , offhand , if he was one of the Freys who fell afoul of the Brotherhood.)... This was before Jaime's parley with the Blackfish. Some days had to pass before that was resolved and Jaime left Riverrun .

So it's possible that by the time we see Jaime riding off with Brienne ..Walder may have received the word and acted on it . We know things do not look good for Lannister power at the end of ADWD , but Walder wouldn't have known that when he received the order ( if he received it ).As far as he was likely to know , it was still a very bad idea to double cross the Lannisters.

It's feasible then , by the time we see Jaime ride off with Brienne, that the Greatjon and any other Frey captives are already en route to Maidenpool. ( As are the fully armed and armored Tully Arms Master and Captain of the Guard ).

ETA: I don't know , of course ( and must re-read ) , But it could be that all the components for a major breakout ( including for Harrion Karstark ) are beginning to fall into place.

• 6 months later...

Archived