The POV in the Lands of Always Winter.

TheeMikeHoncho

Maybe it has to do with language and / or guest right. Someone has to go there in person to talk (=explain, negotiate) and claim guest right. Like the Last Hero did with the CotF, but further north. To create a pact with the Others. Obviously the CotF can't go there as is shown to Bran in his vision of the impaled greenseers.

So we need a POV to go there, and IMHO it can only be Jon ... or Melisandre. She does't need food, sleep or warmth so she could get there faster. And her strength increases at the wall. Also her comment about her powders being nearly used up. I think she has one more task to do and knows it. Not sure whether it is healing/reviving Jon Snow or going north.

COTF aren't even human. There is no "guest right" among them. I think it's going to be Bran and Jon, via Ghost. and Davos will fill us in on Skagos.

COTF aren't even human. It appears the Others don't operate with the same cultural reference as rest of Westeros. There is no "guest right" among them. I think it's going to be Bran and Jon, via Ghost. and Davos will fill us in on Skagos.

Theoretically Mel may not need "battle skills" to get there - The Great Other may invite her for a parley.

I guess Jon will spend some time in Ghost - his body being alive, but in coma (like Khal Drogo was, generally) - he will need someone to "kick him back". This may not be Mel - she probably knows little about warging, OTOH it may be Val.

So Mel can go for parley with Great Other to the Land of always Winter, accompanied by Ghost Jon, with "safe conduct" granted by the Others - depends on their motivation. That would be the Mel's last task, she bites the dust in the end - maybe in the next book epilogue? Jon returns, gets dewarged by Val. I would personally not give much credit to the "black ice armor" in literal sense - but it may present the knowledge Jon gets up north.

Personally I think if Benjen is alive, he is with the Wildlings at Hardhome.

Alternative way to get up north without being frozen, wighted orr otherwise offed is through the underground tunnels of CoTF.

Archived