The POV in the Lands of Always Winter.

TheeMikeHoncho

The POV would come from someone already at or near the North. Danaery's is unlikely as it will probably take her the entire next book to resolve her stupid plotline and make her way to the North. Hopefully she just dies.

I'm thinking along the lines of Benjen, Jon (via Ghost), or Bran. Rickon is possible, but something would have to go horribly wrong for that to happen.

The way GRRM has spoken of how we will see the Land of Always Winter and learn more about the Others, their history - and their connection with the Children this has to go far beyond a prologue POV and be something much more substantive with multiple chapters.

Bran I think can be ruled out because he's the new greenseer. He's going to continue to have a big role in the next two books, but as a greenseer. Similarly Benjen has only had a fleeting appearance in AGoT and been out of the story for too long since. I can readily see him turning up again in one form or another, but not as the major character for something so big as the Land of Always Winter. The same goes for Rickon, who managed to stick around for longer but has never been fully developed as a character.

Whatever goes down in the Land of Winter is going to require two legs and a voice, which rules out Jon in Ghost (one bark for yes, two barks for no). He's grievously wounded certainly, but not dead ("Oh you think he's dead do you? - GRRM) so I can see him being taken north to recover and learn, but either way its going to be a walking talking Jon.

I'm all for the POV in the Lands of Always Winter being someone we don't expect. Is there anyone with Euron? I know it's believed that he's in Essos with Victarion but what if he's heading North? Maybe he has some crackpot plan to harness the Others as well as a dragon. Didn't GRRM hint at the next Aeron Damphair chapter being really important? Maybe it takes place soon after the King's Moot and he is forced to go with Euron to the Lands of Always Winter.

I know it sounds like I'm grasping at straws but people would say the same thing 7 years ago if I guessed that Tyrion would go to Essos.

Oh I'd say we've got time, given that various character need to make their way back from foreign parts, and in any case the weirwoodnet aint going to work too well in a tree-less tundra. I've spoken on the heresy thread of how the Faerie races may need human help to do the things they themselves can't, like walk abroad in the daylight and handle iron. Perhaps this whole business of sending the direwolves to the Starks and developing their powers is so that someday one of them can hike northwards to do what must be done.

Oh I'd say we've got time, given that various character need to make their way back from foreign parts, and in any case the weirwoodnet aint going to work too well in a tree-less tundra. I've spoken on the heresy thread of how the Faerie races may need human help to do the things they themselves can't, like walk abroad in the daylight and handle iron. Perhaps this whole business of sending the direwolves to the Starks and developing their powers is so that someday one of them can hike northwards to do what must be done.

Agreed. I can't even begin to fathom how much stuff Dany has left to do, the whole Ironborn plot needs to be resolved (has it really even begun yet?), we still don't know anything about the Others, and many characters most likely need to be positioned for a final conflict (I'm mainly thinking of characters in the South/Essos as surely they'll play some role) once they finish whatever they're currently engaged in. I'm not really seeing how GRRM can conclude the series in 7 books even if the next two are 1500 pages as he has jokingly suggested.

A journey to the Land of Always Winter should definitely be more than feasible from a time standpoint.

Maybe it has to do with language and / or guest right. Someone has to go there in person to talk (=explain, negotiate) and claim guest right. Like the Last Hero did with the CotF, but further north. To create a pact with the Others. Obviously the CotF can't go there as is shown to Bran in his vision of the impaled greenseers.

So we need a POV to go there, and IMHO it can only be Jon ... or Melisandre. She does't need food, sleep or warmth so she could get there faster. And her strength increases at the wall. Also her comment about her powders being nearly used up. I think she has one more task to do and knows it. Not sure whether it is healing/reviving Jon Snow or going north.

Bran, via treenternet.

I also think this may be a possibility.

The reason being is that perhaps there is an alliance or maybe a truce between the Children of the Forest and the Others.

I'm assuming the Others know about the all-seeing abilities of the weirwood trees yet nowhere throughout the series do we read about felled weirwoods beyond the Wall.

So maybe, there are weirwoods in the Lands of Always Winter.

I don't see Mel doing it simply because she has neither the practical skills nor the battle skills to see her through. That's not to see she won't make it up there with someone like Jon to convoy her, but she won't be going up there on her own.

I don't see Mel doing it simply because she has neither the practical skills nor the battle skills to see her through. That's not to see she won't make it up there with someone like Jon to convoy her, but she won't be going up there on her own.

Melisandre and Jon, stuck in Ghost, would do just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always thought the prophecy to Dany was about East / West, not North / South. I could see her going to Asshai and coming to Westeros via that Iron Islands (with Victarion?) but the Land of Always Winter doesn't make sense.

Would Meera go there? We could see it in a Bran chapter through Hodor.

Archived