The POV in the Lands of Always Winter.

TheeMikeHoncho

@esa1996

Others are born as Others, people can't be turned into them. Others can turn people into wights (Assuming the people are dead) Also, I'm pretty sure that cold doesn't turn anyone into a wight, like Jon seems to believe when he puts the dead bodies in the ice cells in book 5.

This may not be the case.The Others take Craster's sons and the old wives at Craster's Keep tell Sam that the Others are the sons returning.

The story of the Night's King looks like an adult being taken by the Others.He was a Stark and it may be the Others have a special interest in

Stark "blood".

There is loads of foreshadowing through the books that this may be part of Jon's destiny.

Melisandre would not need food nor sleep and she wouldn't freeze.

She is already a POV.

The motive: Jon got killed and is stuck in Ghost. She can't bring him back but figures she has to go to the Land of Always Winter to so.

Melisandre and Ghost going to the Land of Always Winter while Jon's body is stored in the ice cells under the wall.

Could Bloodraven be Coldhands as a warg? It would explain how Coldhands knew where Bran was at the wall, plus Coldhands seemed to communicate with Ravens throughout the journey. I think that only a dead person can make it to the LOAW at this point since the others seemed to have killed off all the living life forms up north. Additionally, it seems that they can actually sense the heat from all living bodies.

There is just no way a living man could reach it; that is why they built the wall where it is, because even the Heros during the Age of Heros couldn't go all the way north to destroy the others civilization.

So either it will be a Coldhands via Bloodraven or an Other if there is a prologue/epilogue north of the wall

I wish I could say Osha (I believe she would offer really intriguing POV's) but alas, there is that no-newbie-POV's statement.

So I assume Melisandre, Bran, and possibly Jon will offer the Northern portrayal.

*Maybe* Sam too, if he manages to get back up there after his training.

I actually like this idea. Maybe when Jon is warging Ghost he'll hear someone (Bran) telling him that the COTF are still alive. He would wake up knowing that he has to go find them to learn more about the Others, which was one of his primary missions for Sam. Bran could lead Jon/Ghost to his cave in the same way the 3EC helped Bran and the Reeds get there. It's also possible that Bran would learn a lot of good information through the weirnet and pass it along to Jon. Maybe they'd find out where Benjen is and Jon would go to save him.

(I also have a crazy crackpot theory that Dany and her Dothraki will reach Westeros via a land connection between the Shadow by Asshai and the Lands of Always Winter. That way, the Dothraki would never have to go on water. As for Barriston and co., Tyrion knows about Aegon so they could easily back him or follow Dany once they hear about a giant Khalasar heading for Asshai. This is probably speculation that belongs in another thread but...whatevers..)

Here is one that will mind fuck you : Dany. Anyone remember a certain prophercy Quaithe gives her? "You must go backwards to go forwards, through shadow..." this is a paraphrase, sorry but that is the jist of it. Well what's more Backwards than the other side of the known world? Asshai, and shadow well, Asshai's by the shadow and it's not clear what IT is, what if it links around to the cold dark lands of always winter? The map of course would be messed up as hell, but I read the section in DWD earlier and it just came to mind.

This is pretty crackpot I know but it'd be interesting to see...

Either one of these would be awesome. With all the talk of Dany needing ships to cross the sea and that being a detriment to her return to Westeros it would be really cool if there was some sort of land bridge or mysterious vortex (hence the name shadow) that led from Asshai to the Land of Always Winter.

But realistically I think it would be Jon. He would learn some stuff through Ghost via Bran before returning to his own body to fight the Others at the Wall (his dream about being atop the wall, abandoned and armored in black ice, sword burning in his hand, cutting his enemies down as they scuttled up the wall like spiders)

@esa1996

Others are born as Others, people can't be turned into them. Others can turn people into wights (Assuming the people are dead) Also, I'm pretty sure that cold doesn't turn anyone into a wight, like Jon seems to believe when he puts the dead bodies in the ice cells in book 5.

This may not be the case.The Others take Craster's sons and the old wives at Craster's Keep tell Sam that the Others are the sons returning.

I think that Craster's sons are wights not Others. I've only read the books once at the moment so I don't remember everything yet so you might be right. Also, didn't GRRM say they were a complete different race "...imagine the sidhe made of ice" or something like that, and I can't imagine anything changing their race no matter what. Cats don't turn into dogs etc.

EDIT:

Might be that there's a pile of Other bodies all over the north left from the times of the long night or a bit after it. Not all of them died and now they are doing the "life for life" stuff with Craster's children. Kill the baby and awake the Other. This wouldn't change the race of CC but would make some sense. Baby wights sound kind of odd to me.

Might be that there's a pile of Other bodies all over the north left from the times of the long night or a bit after it. Not all of them died and now they are doing the "life for life" stuff with Craster's children. Kill the baby and awake the Other. This wouldn't change the race of CC but would make some sense. Baby wights sound kind of odd to me.

Makes sense. When I saw it in the show I assumed that's what they were doing as well.

I was under the assumption that Bran can only use his greensite through weirwoods, so would it even be possible for him to see the land of always winter unless he travels that far up? Jon is the most likely in my opinion, assuming the whole Azhor Ahai theory is true. But I think it would be really cool to see if Benjen has reached the Land of Always Winter, possibly through the prologue or epilogue since there won't be any new POVs.

I personally think Jon's flat out dead. If not, Melisandre brings him back and somehow he gets out of her control. Somehow. But that would be at the wall, Melisandre not gonna wander around past where she has power.

Bran and Coldhands are probably it. Coldhands has to be Ben Stark. If he isn't then maybe we'll get a Ben Stark POV.

Could Bloodraven be Coldhands as a warg? It would explain how Coldhands knew where Bran was at the wall, plus Coldhands seemed to communicate with Ravens throughout the journey. I think that only a dead person can make it to the LOAW at this point since the others seemed to have killed off all the living life forms up north. Additionally, it seems that they can actually sense the heat from all living bodies.

There is just no way a living man could reach it; that is why they built the wall where it is, because even the Heros during the Age of Heros couldn't go all the way north to destroy the others civilization.

So either it will be a Coldhands via Bloodraven or an Other if there is a prologue/epilogue north of the wall

This is a very good theory and really does make sense.

I really hope it's not an Other. The thing about Others is that they represent true evil, like Mordor in Lord of the Rings. They give everyone a common enemy and a great, arching cause to the series. By trying to empathize with them it ruins the entire point of the novels. It's like trying to make the Empire in Star Wars an understandable side, or Grodo from Rocky IV, or the Thing in The Thing.

Also, the Land of Always Winter isn't some magical Other civilization bastion. It's the arctic of Westeros. Nothing's living there because it's the deep Arctic.

Here is one that will mind fuck you : Dany. Anyone remember a certain prophercy Quaithe gives her? "You must go backwards to go forwards, through shadow..." this is a paraphrase, sorry but that is the jist of it. Well what's more Backwards than the other side of the known world? Asshai, and shadow well, Asshai's by the shadow and it's not clear what IT is, what if it links around to the cold dark lands of always winter? The map of course would be messed up as hell, but I read the section in DWD earlier and it just came to mind.

This is pretty crackpot I know but it'd be interesting to see...

I believe the prophecy you're thinking of continues on to say "To go north, you must go south." So based on that alone, your theory may hold some water.

I really hope it's not an Other. The thing about Others is that they represent true evil, like Mordor in Lord of the Rings. They give everyone a common enemy and a great, arching cause to the series. By trying to empathize with them it ruins the entire point of the novels. It's like trying to make the Empire in Star Wars an understandable side, or Grodo from Rocky IV, or the Thing in The Thing.

Also, the Land of Always Winter isn't some magical Other civilization bastion. It's the arctic of Westeros. Nothing's living there because it's the deep Arctic.

George RR Martin does not believe in true good or evil. That is probably the most important moral throughout this story. that is why It would be interesting to see an other's viewpoint to see how they justify their behavior.

I believe the prophecy you're thinking of continues on to say "To go north, you must go south." So based on that alone, your theory may hold some water.

But this theory does not mean danny going to lands of always but it can be assumed that she will land near east watch by the sea.

I personally think that it will be Benjen. I also think that Benjen was behind the obsidian weapons and horn being wrapped in a Night's watch cloak.

As for Jon I honestly don't see a reason for him to go up north, because if hes going to be warging anywhere I think that one of the first places he will visit will be the crypts in winterfell.

I am looking forward to him busting Lyanna's statue open and pulling "the sword from the stone." I think he's only going to go there when he finds out that he's a Targ. Then he's going to have an emotional breakdown, head back to the tomb, and in tears and anger, cut her head off. and there will be the hilt sticking out.

Archived