Who was the best king ?

Golden Lady

<snip>

I think Foxhound was responding sarcastically to this:

None of them are any good. Just because Absolute Monarchy is invariably the law of the land in any Fantasy Novel we might happen to pick up and read doesn't mean it any better a system of government in a fictional world than it was in the real world, where we have completely repudiated it and disposed of it (for good reason).

And I think this is part of GRRM's point. Who's the Rightful King? Who Cares? Look how much damage, death, and destruction has come from trying to answer that question.

Could be wrong though...

I think everything we have seen of Stannis shows he would be the absolute best King for a society like Westeros. Harsh enough to make people fear defying him and the law, but shows just the smallest amount of mercy to deny open rebellion. If Westeros wants someone to love, they can love whoever Stannis appoints as his hand. If they want someone to rule them effectively, there is only 1 man.

My favorite quote of Stannis is something he says to Davos along the lines of "I can be merciful" said the man notorious for having no mercy.

This isn't really the case at all. Historians have invested a lot of time and effort into figuring out how monarchs were successful and unsuccessful in running their kingdoms. There are detailed studies of these kinds of things and disagreements among scholars.

Martin's work can undoubtedly be read as a meditation on what makes a good leader or a good ruler, but his story is equally about the shortcomings of the system he has portrayed. The Seven Kingdoms have particularly unstable kind of monarchy that lacks even the most basic checks on tyranny and one that is tilted toward the creation of bad or unskilled rulers.

Look at the case of the rebels against Aerys II. Jon Arryn and his allies had no recourse within the system to deal with the excesses of their mad king. The key players on each side had to make choices about whether to remain in the system and suffer more unjustified murder at the hands of a tyrant or leave the system and attempt to strike out on their own. Rhaegar made the opposite choice. He knew that there needed to be reform and he seemed committed to it, but he was unwilling to deal with Aerys until the rebellion had been put down. It was one of his greatest mistakes.

The Westerosi system also thrusts unprepared and underage people into positions of power. Dany, Robb, Joffrey, and even Jon are not prepared for the positions they would later claim. Some have had the benefit of formal instruction in the skills and duties of leadership, while others are winging it. The long-term results in the cases of most of these characters are bound to be disastrous.

I agree? I didn't say absolute monarchy was a perfect system, or even a good one. I was pointing out that (as you yourself say above) that doesn't stop us from comparing the results it produces.

In order (ASOIAF kings only):

- King Robb - he inspired loyalty, only wanted the North and Riverlands (he has right to both so hes not greedy) and son of Ned Stark.

- King Renly I - probably the best at inspiring loyalty with his troops and bannerman but had no right to the Seven Kingdoms before Stannis.

- King Stannis I - would be a very fair king. Good at imposing justice and winning battles. But if he was less stubborn he'd be on the IT already.

- King Tommen I - His anti-Beet policy won me there and then. Not to mention the formidable Ser Pounce, bane of one eared cats.

Dany is too immature, Aegon's potential has yet to be seen, etc.

Hm, probably Jaeherys and Viserys II.

Btw, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I'm honestly curious and have to ask; Why Robb?

Don't get me wrong, I liked Robb and agree that his lords wanted to follow him and that he might have been a very good king.

But I don't think he should be among best kings.

He was murdered before he did anything truly worthwhile for his kingdom.

He went to war, Iron born raided his kingdom and he had no chance to go back north.

If he lived he might have won and did wonderful things for his kingdom. But he was killed, So, bottom line?

He did nothing good for the North.

-Brandon the builder: iirc he fought the white walkers and built the Wall, Winterfell and Storm end(some argue it was another brandon)

- Jaehaery: reasons already stated

-Daeron II : always been my personal favorite out of the targeryan rulers.

note: i would add Mariya Martell but she was a queen.

Jaehaerys I on second thought..

By Jon:

He's called the Old King because he reigned so long, but he was young when he first came to the Iron Throne. In those days, it was his wont

to travel all over the realm. When he came to Winterfell, he brought his queen, six dragons, and half his court.

If you have six dragons, the realm would be in hell of a peace..

Of all the kings known to us:

Jaehaerys the Conciliator- 55 year reign of peace and prosperity, ended the Faith's rebellion peacefully and ended the right of the First Night

Daeron II- Brought Dorne into the realm through diplomacy, and had reign of peace and prosperity with the only exception being the First Blackfyre Rebellion

I agree. If you want just one, I vote Jaehaerys.

Of the ASOIAF kings... a lot harder. Especially as kings they do not convince. Aye, maybe I'd say Mance - he had to have ability to get the position, and he was king enough not to think of his own safety or interests, but of his "realm's" i.e. the wildling people's. All the other kings were looking for a throne to shine on, and thinking of the rights or not they had. Robb was not bad, but marrying Jeyne was truly stupid, and showed him to be a green boy, not a king grown.

Archived