Why the Oberyn love?

Jaime's Wench

Tell me how many men in Westeros' world would look at the Mountain before fighting him and Tell his gf 'I'm going to kill that.'?

Thats why people love him.

Also he nearly pulled it off. His emotions got in his way but he was avenging his sister's death. But we all love an emotional hero.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but during his duel with Gregor it seems that Oberyn could've killed won at point he wanted. The reason the duel went on for so long was he was trying to get a confession out of Gregor for the murder of Elia and the children.

:agree: yes thats why he actually couldnt finish the fight. His main goal was not to kill gregor but avenge Elia's death. His emotions got better of him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but during his duel with Gregor it seems that Oberyn could've killed won at point he wanted. The reason the duel went on for so long was he was trying to get a confession out of Gregor for the murder of Elia and the children.

Oberyn could've finished him off sooner but mr. Mountain wasn't that easy to kill. You're making him sound like a pushover.

Mr. Mountain underestimated his opponent's skill and more importantly mobility (he himself was equiped to take on a heavily armoured opponent), while mr. Viper underestimated Gregor's stamina and determination. Was one of the more interesting fights in the series, obviously, as Bronn taking on that dude in the Vale was a far more lopsided affair.

@OP

Because the series lacked a dashing flashy "heroic" character mainly. All people want to see Errol Flynn that's why movies portraying such characters are so populair.

The only thing that bothers me about Oberyn is that we so little of him (there was a lot of potential there) and we see endless pages of dull unimportant people like Areo Hotah. Thanks Martin. But I guess that goes into his "realism" theme.

I hope you're not counting Stannis amongst the bad guy badasses?

I'm not. Stannis is certainly a formidable character and I liked the fact that the Lannisters were scared of him throughout ACoK, but he seems a bit on the ropes by that point of ASoS.

I'm not. Stannis is certainly a formidable character and I liked the fact that the Lannisters were scared of him throughout ACoK, but he seems a bit on the ropes by that point of ASoS.

Just checking. :)

King Stannis is one of the good guys. The best, in fact. :D

The only thing that bothers me about Oberyn is that we so little of him (there was a lot of potential there) and we see endless pages of dull unimportant people like Areo Hotah. Thanks Martin. But I guess that goes into his "realism" theme.

You said it better than I could have.

I liked him on the first read through SOS. However, on the re read this past Spring I didn't like him so much. He was intriguing and passionate about his family. He was a different character he was bisexual and modern in a dark ages world. My heart pounded with intensity the first time I read through is battle with The Mountain.

Even though he ended up a crushed grape, he still did manage to kill Gregor. Victory even in death!!

That he's a dead awesome badass. So he's not much of a badass anymore and whether getting yourself killed stupidly is a badass thing to do is questionable.

So what. He was awesome and BA while he was alive. And he was trying to avenge his sister's death. It might have been stupid but I don't care. I understand why he did it and it's one of the reasons I love him.

:agree:

Tell me how many men in Westeros' world would look at the Mountain before fighting him and Tell his gf 'I'm going to kill that.'?

Thats why people love him.

Also he nearly pulled it off. His emotions got in his way but he was avenging his sister's death. But we all love an emotional hero.

:agree:

Archived