Dany and Vaes Dothrak

Black Wolf Smith

Personally, I think she is not going to break the siege. Barristan the Old, Tyrion with the second sons and the Iron Fleet will do that.

In her last chapter, I think we see a tremendous change in her attitude, and something like the acceptance of her failure to rule the harpy people. It took GRRM so very f****g long to get her out of that city, I would be kind of extremely pissed if she now turns around and goes back there. I think the ironic point of all the people coming towards her in Meereen is going to be that they all miss her by a few days, all but poor Quentyn the dragontamer. My feeling is that the ones who are in Meereen will have to sort out the battle, hear about Dany taking the khalasaar west (or maybe east?) and then they have to take the army to Westeros by ship to meet Dany again.

This was my interpretation of ADWD, and it is somewhat strengthened by the fact that we have already got a sample chapter from GRRM where the iron fleet arrived at Meereen, so this event seems to be rather early in WOW. Also, ADWD ended with the yunkish attacking, so I really don't see how there would ever be enough time for Dany to go to Vaes Dothrak, unite the khalasaars _and_ go back to Meereen in time for that battle, when we have seen over and over that GRRM takes travel time very seriously.

So if you ask me, the Meereenese knot has finally been cut, and Dany being out of there solves one of GRRMs biggest problems, I don't think he is going to tie a second one so soon...

Dany still has two dragons in Mereen, a husband who was all too eager for her to eat poisoned locust, husband who urged men to kill Drogon, and she feels responsibility - only issue is that she doesn't know what to do with Drogon and she decided to walk towards Slaver Bay on foot.

However Drogon going to pick her up and khalasar nearby changes the equation.

OTOH with regards to the city she trusts Selmy and Unsullied to hold out, so she may take a risk, but I don't think she'll abandon the city to its fate. She still seethes about her failure at Astapor. And she also would realise that if she just ran away to Westeros, leaving her city besieged and with two uncontrollable dragons, nobody would welcome here - her resume would be even worse than Cersei's ;)

So she HAS to come back, even if Selmy and co. manage to solve the siege (which she won't know).

Dany still has two dragons in Mereen, a husband who was all too eager for her to eat poisoned locust, husband who urged men to kill Drogon, and she feels responsibility - only issue is that she doesn't know what to do with Drogon and she decided to walk towards Slaver Bay on foot.

However Drogon going to pick her up and khalasar nearby changes the equation.

OTOH with regards to the city she trusts Selmy and Unsullied to hold out, so she may take a risk, but I don't think she'll abandon the city to its fate. She still seethes about her failure at Astapor. And she also would realise that if she just ran away to Westeros, leaving her city besieged and with two uncontrollable dragons, nobody would welcome here - her resume would be even worse than Cersei's ;)

So she HAS to come back, even if Selmy and co. manage to solve the siege (which she won't know).

To be honest with you, at this point I think Dany is a red herron, that will never ever go to Westeros.

What if, like, she goes back there and just becomes a crone. I mean, it's not quite being a queen, but ruling the dothraki people is a good prize for second place. Didn't seem so bad, you know. Better than being khal Jhoqo's slave or something.

The Crones are the spiritual leaders of the dothraki not their formal leaders (those are the khals). And frankly do you really believe that after all this time GRRM has built on Daenerys and considering that she would never ever settle for "just" being a crone (she's much more ambitious than that).

I personnaly can't imagine her leaving Meereen unfinished. Anyway the siege is at an end, there's a bloody epidemic through the yunkhaii and their allies' camp. And most of their troops are slaves. It appeared clearly to me that at the end of TWOW the war was as good as done in favor of Meereen. The Yunkhaii are storming the gates of Meereen, and "ser grandfather" will meet them, the dead will attract the dragons, lots of burned corpses everywhere. For all we know the dragons will burn Meereen to the ground!

Didn't Dany swear death to Jhaqo? Or was that Pono? I don't remember. Either way i think she's probably going to Dracarys them.

I hope not... or at least, not the extent that I think she will take it. The only part of Dany that has annoyed me is her unwillingness to 'play dirty' in moments when playing dirty is the best course of action. It's so frustrating to see Dany lose initiative because of her futile sense of honour and nobility.

Still, this is why I think Mereen was the right choice. How could she possibly rule Westeros if she can not rule Slavers Bay. In victory or defeat, Dany has learnt valuable lessons there which will serve her greatly *if* she takes the Iron Throne. If not, she'll lose it quicker than Ned Stark lost his head.

I agree with those here who say that there won't be an unfinished Mereen arc before Dany moves on to Pentos or possibly Westeros. There will be some unforseen, unpredictable turn of events in Mereen which will lead to a final, ultimate closing of the Mereen arc. I can't see what it will be, but knowing Martin, it'll either be hated or loved, but above all it'll be unexpected. There are just too many pieces in Mereen for us to know exactly what will happen, and how to put them together.

She will. There will be a Dance of Dragons redux.

However I guess not yet. Unless she snaps at the news of Aegon... But then she would at least return to Mereen to get divorce-by-dragon ;)

Selmy could take Hizdahrwith him as a prisoner of the Queen, to meet the Queen's justice, if he hears that Dany has a new Dothraki army and is on the move. In that way Selmy could still leave Mereen and bring along the unsullied and Dany's "Husband" and not leave any loose ends behind.

Actually Westeros might welcome her more openly if she leaves Mereen in ruins. Mereen is not part of Westeros, and the Westerosi will view her Mereenese ties suspiciously. Better to cut them if she really wants to take the Iron Throne, and keep it.

I don't think she'll abandon the city with Selmy and her household still inside it, though. They are her family.

And then there are the dragons. The Dragon Queen can't afford to lose control of the beasts, that will weaken her position. If her enemies gain control of the dragons, they could even challenge her for position.

Those are more immediate concerns than her welcome in Westeros. Anyway, who cares about her resume? She is not applying for a job, she intends to take the Iron Throne by force. Just as Aegon the Conqueror did, and I don't think his resume looked better than Dany's when he invaded Westeros.

Good question. Well, Dany didn't exactly use any blood magic to tame Drogon (as far as that goes). Perhaps the Dothraki wouldn't need that either. But this isn't really a theory. There's no way in hell this will happen.

Well since Danny doesnt really control Drogon either I dont see a difference. If she controlled Drogon she would have hopped on his back and headed home by now.

Archived