Most desirable city/region to live in Westeros and Essos

Eelridge

In DwD:

''Oldtown was as flowery as a perfumed dowager. Lannisport was a milkmaid, fresh and earthy, with woodsmoke in her hair. Kings Landing reeked like some unwashed whore. But White Harbors scent was sharp and salty, and a little fishy too. She smells the way a mermaid ought to smell, Roro said. She smells of the sea.''

Braavos. King Daemon Blackfyre summed it up nicely:

Braavos, a merchant-principality with social mobility and no slavery, freedom of religion, a wealthy economy, powerful navy, global trade networks, good infrastructure, conveninent seafood stocks, great defences, nice architecture and artworks, and strategic/well-protected location, (the only drawback is the lack of freshwater without piping).

Its like Medieval/Renaissance Venice and modern day Singapore.

Arya's chapters did a lot to portray Braavos as an interesting, eventful, and above all - lively place to live.

I'd have a summer home in Winterfel just because I love the starks, the sense of security, the hardy northern atmoshphere, culture and climate and the central heating. then I would have a summer home in vase dothrak so I could chill with my dothraki buddies, drink and sleep

• 7 months later...

Those Chinatowns didn't exist until the age of imperialism in the late 19th century and the 20th century.

But the idea of ethnic districts is so much older than "chinatown". In the 1500s, Flemish weavers settled in eastern England, so that towns like Colchester had "dutch quarters". The Jewish quarter in Prague dates back to the 13th century.

I reckon somewhere in the Reach would be pretty nice. Temperate, with pleasantly warm summers but not the scorching heat of Dorne, nicely rolling countryside with no pesky Hill tribes, Wildlings or Ironborn Raiders to worry about. All assuming of course that one is born into the lower nobility - enough wealth to relax, not enough to actually be significant!

• 2 years later...

Archived