Brienne and The Journey to Quiet Isle

Quiet Isle

Re read the imagery and language of Brienne making her way to QI today and I was blown away by the beautiful imagery of what it takes to get to a place of peace. There is of course the "Straight and Narrow" images we have of going to heaven. But instead, we see Septon Maribald turning this way, and that, sometimes very much the wrong direction to get to QI across the mudflats and saltpans area. I felt this was Martin twisting the concept of the straight and narrow road to heaven. But that's way too simplistic.

It brought to mind many metaphors and references to both literature and the bible, and other allusions.

Maribald puts his cane/support stick in front of him to feel his way through. The Dog sniffs his way through (intellect vs. instinct?).

I also thought how did QI finance itself (yes, yes, they grow things, sell mead, wine, etc) to create this incredible Edenlike, heavenlike but also quite substantial area and buildings).

And it was not lost upon me that the island is virtually self sustaining. a "green" community. Certainly GRRM meant it to be that.

The food is luscious. The area is green. There are sheep wandering.

It is almost like passing to heaven.... BUT....

Elder Brother has been a warrior. He is not old either.

I suspect that this area may well partly be an area of rest, and spiritual healing and psychological healing, while still maintaining an image of disquise = the fact that they are concealing weapons. I can reconcile this. it's as if here is a place of peace, but we have the archangel Michael here, JUST in case something comes to destroy it. Thoughts?

Dog stuck his nose in one and yelped when a crab pinched it with his claw.

Crabs cast off their old shells for new ones, and are symbols of rebirth. This fits in line with Sandor and the Elder Brother, with the former casting away the Hound and the latter casting away his old life.

Crabs never take a direct route, and make their way onto land in a "sideways tap-dance." They are reminders that not all paths are direct and not all ways will be forthcoming in their meaning. Crabs move with the natural cadence of the tides and nature and move in the natural flow of things in perfect rhythm.

The QI needs no defense as the quicksands and tides protect them, and the island is self-sustaining. The crab has been a meaning of having no need for defense, and that all our needs are met and we are divinely cared for.

• 5 months later...

The Quiet Isle chapter is beautiful. GRRM really gave that place the breath of life.

I wonder how the QI will play into the continuing story. IIRC, Cersei mentions receiving a raven from a place that sounds like the QI. So it may not actually be as "off the grid" as it feels.

I remember being struck by 'everything washing up there eventually' including some of Rhaegar's rubies, but also a sign from the Inn of Three Dragons. I wish I had it with me because it struck me that something symbolic was washed off that sign (the color--maybe they all ended up black? Don't quote me... I will look for it when I get home tonight.

I love the Quiet Isle chapter a lot in this book 4.

the point where Brienne experiences Catharsis and opens up in her talk with the Elder Brother is also beautifully written.

I thank Martin for creating Quiet Isle in his otherwise a violent and brutal universe :)

Me too, some of the best prose in the books is in the QI chapters. Septon Meribald's speech- at this point, I think I've read it like 20+ times, one of my favorite passages I've ever read in any book, let alone in ASOIAF. Plus, the Elder Brother's description of the hound was really great.

Two things really stood out for me in this part of Feast. The first was Septon Maribald's description of the broken men. That is my favorite background story in all of the books.

The second thing was the mention of different bird speceis that Brienne and Maribald see as they are walking along the coast. I can't remeber which bird exactly are mentioned, I think Loons was one of them, but I seem to remember there being at least four. It felt like Brienne and Maribald were on a little nature hike, birding the coastal regions of Westeros.

In addition to everything else, QI also shows how some areas remain untouched by war. Dorne (kind of), parts of the Reach, parts of the Vale. In some places life continues on like normal.

Archived