Something that just does not make sense at all (Syrio)

ShadowRaven

And the best way to make sure she would make to Braavos (BTW, whaaaaat? :shocked: )is to be chained inside a cage?

It's a 1000 leagues to the Wall, anything could happen (and did).

Yes, he obviously wanted her to go to Braavos hence the coin and telling her the "Valar Morghulis" code which would take her straight to Braavos, he was recruiting her.

I don't think Syrio was a Faceless Man, but I do like the idea of him following her to watch out for her.

Getting locked into a cage with two vicious killers seems like a questionable way to do it, though. He could have just signed on with Yoren.

Two vicious killers who listen to his every command without any hesitation. What do you think they saw that would frighten them so much?

It's a 1000 leagues to the Wall, anything could happen (and did).

Yes, he obviously wanted her to go to Braavos hence the coin and telling her the "Valar Morghulis" code.

That's Jaquen, not Syrio. And that happens after the interesting events in Harrenhall, and there was no way he could predict THAT.

I think it was about fighting style, Bravossi fencing is perhaps not well suited for fighting against a broadsword and Syrio was simply overpowered. The reason he never picked up a sword is because those are not the type of swords he is trained to wield, it would be too heavy and unbalanced for his type of fighting style and likely cause him more harm than help. The weight and type of sword in relation to your training and fighting style will have a huge amount of influence on your ability to fight effectively. A Samurai for instance might be regarded as one of the most skilled swordsman out there with a katana, but you hand one of them a two handed broadsword from Europe and that Samurai will probably look like a rank amature trying to fight with it.

Two vicious killers who listen to his every command without any hesitation. What do you think they saw that would frighten them so much?

Thats a very good question and one I have wondered myself on many an occasion. I imagine he might have just gave them both a very effective ass whipping that first night when the two of them tried to gang rape him.... and you know they tried.

That's Jaquen, not Syrio. And that happens after the interesting events in Harrenhall, and there was no way he could predict THAT.

You're missing the point, Syrio and Ja'Qen were both killed by the same FM who took their identities at different times, meaning its the same guy.

Syrio killed sometime before getting to KL and meeting Ned Stark

Ja'Qen killed in the black cells after Syrio/FM confrontation with Trant

But they are the same FM who I believe was sent to recruit Arya or recruiting Arya was a byproduct of his current mission.

You're missing the point, Syrio and Ja'Qen were both killed by the same FM who took their identities, meaning its the same guy.

Syrio killed sometime before KL

Ja'Qen killed after the escape from Trant

But they are the same FM who I believe was sent to recruit Arya or recruiting Arya was a byproduct of his current mission.

But Arya was the daughter of the Hand of the King. Are you saying that they foresaw Twot5K and dispatched someone to "fetch" Arya?!

How would they know about Jon giving her a sword (thus making Syrio necessary) and that Ned would allow her to keep it?

And how would they know about her? She is a kid that did not achieved anything espetacular at this point.

Sorry dude, it's pure crackpot...

I think it was about fighting style, Bravossi fencing is perhaps not well suited for fighting against a broadsword and Syrio was simply overpowered. The reason he never picked up a sword is because those are not the type of swords he is trained to wield, it would be too heavy and unbalanced for his type of fighting style and likely cause him more harm than help. The weight and type of sword in relation to your training and fighting style will have a huge amount of influence on your ability to fight effectively. A Samurai for instance might be regarded as one of the most skilled swordsman out there with a katana, but you hand one of them a two handed broadsword from Europe and that Samurai will probably look like a rank amature trying to fight with it.

I would too, but it's better than fighting with a broken stick.

Syrio beat the other soldiers who were using broadswords. His 'style' is useless if he loses automatically against certain types of melee weapons.

But Arya was the daughter of the Hand of the King. Are you saying that they foresaw Twot5K and dispatched someone to "fetch" Arya?!

And how would they know about her? She is a kid that did not achieved anything espetacular ath this point.

Good questions, I don't have a book explanation for them but I do believe that the Faceless Men know magic and talent when they see it so I don't know if they knew that the daughter of Ned Stark would be special or if it was all by chance. We do know that the Faceless Men did play some part in the Doom and many ppl think Arya will be assassinating Dany so it's possible they recruited Arya specifically for this mission.

"The sword must be a part of your arm, can you drop a part of your arm ?" Syrio tells this to Arya. It's possible that this also means that you don't throw away your weapon to pick up another one just because it's a better weapon, even if what you have is only a broken wooden sword.

Crackpot theory is something with no book evidence to support, I'd say there's plenty of evidence to at least have a discussion about, unless someone can post an interview with GRRM that says Syrio Forel is dead and not a FM, then I'll shut up.

Then everyone who he doesn't specifically say isn't an FM, is?

Syrio was implied to be dead. I say he's dead unless we see otherwise.

Good questions, I don't have a book explanation for them but I do believe that the Faceless Men know magic and talent when they see it so I don't know if they knew that the daughter of Ned Stark would be special or if it was all by chance. We do know that the Faceless Men did play some part in the Doom and many ppl think Arya will be assassinating Dany so it's possible they recruited Arya specifically for this mission.

Sorry If I'm coming a little strong, I'm just trying to understand you.

Nothing we know about the Faceless Men suggests some kind of magical recruitment, and we know a lot about them thanks to Arya POV. Why would Arya be especially suited to assassinate Daenerys?

"The sword must be a part of your arm, can you drop a part of your arm ?" Syrio tells this to Arya. It's possible that this also means that you don't throw away your weapon to pick up another one just because it's a better weapon, even if what you have is only a broken wooden sword.

If THAT is what he meant - he deserves to die.

Sorry If I'm coming a little strong, I'm just trying to understand you.

Nothing we know about the Faceless Men suggests some kind of magical recruitment, and we know a lot about them thanks to Arya POV. Why would Arya be especially suited to assassinate Daenerys?

I'm used to getting resistance to this argument :)

As for the assassination, I don't buy it but it does make sense seeing as Dany is a big softie when it comes to needy/slave children so the theory is that she will get close to Dany that way.

I'm used to getting resistance to this argument :)

As for the assassination, I don't buy it but it does make sense seeing as Dany is a big softie when it comes to needy/slave children so the theory is that she will get close to Dany that way.

Is Arya just going to be a hired killer? I thought she just wanted to cross off her 'shopping list'.

Is Arya just going to be a hired killer? I thought she just wanted to cross off her 'shopping list'.

I don't think anyone on the list is still alive, I'd have re-read.

Her last POV is she is now an apprentice FM who is going back to Westeros with her mentor Izembaro.

I'm not saying that's what he entirely meant by it. It seems to be like a code of honor, same as "the first sword of Braavos does not run". It sounds stupid I know.... but so was Ned telling Cersei he knew about her children and what he planned to do about it.

The Stark men are clearly really stupid when dealing with women.

Archived